Lieutenant Commander Charmaine Ning: “Plasma Fires”

Charmaine Ning

Nov 16, 2019, 12:52:36 PM11/16/19
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

(( Bridge, USS Astraeus ))

Mei’konda: I thiink… let’s keep it less formaal.  Lieutenant Smith, let’s proceed with your idea. I didn’t get the impression that the Golthani miners are overly concerned with formaality, and the crew of the other ship, well… I don’t think we know them well enough yet to saay.

 Smith: That works too. Also sir, could I ask if Commander Galven to accompany me to help in the preparations?

Meikonda: If you thiink he’ll be of help, Lieutenant, he’s all yours.  Lieutenant Shin, please accompany Mr. Smith, and see to security arrangements.  I want us secure, but not lookiing like a prison.

Smith: All sent. When you’re ready, Commander.

Shin: I'm ready to accompany you when ready, Captain.

Mei’konda: I’ll meet our friends in the transporter room or Sickbay, wherever they get the all clear.  Commander Rosek would haave my head if I didn’t take precautions.

That much was true of Lael which made German arch his eyebrows and nod, looking down at the floor. She was always so careful of others and rarely thought of her own safety.

Galven: Ain’t that the truth, sir. Let’s get going to the main crew lounges, Lieutenants. ::to Ning:: Commander, great job.

Chamaine offered a smile to the department chief.

Ning: Thanks, Commander Galven.

Shin / Smith: Responses

Mei’konda: While you’re prepaaring, Commander Ning and I will contiinue our research from the Bridge.  Depending on our landing party’s report, we’ll maake a decision on how to proceed with repairs to the Ragged Feather.

Galven: ::nods and straightens his uniform. Yes, sir. ::turns his attention to Smith and Shin:: On forward.

Ning: Good luck.

Shin / Smith: Responses

A few duty officers moved to take the essential positions while Charmaine stayed put. Despite the crew being relatively new to the Astraeus, they operated with a professional efficiency that Charmaine found comforting even amidst her own fears over the situation. The unexpected was part of life in Starfleet - especially when serving on an exploration mission. Having something stable to rely on - like a reliable crew - helped to keep her grounded.

Mei’konda: =/\= Mei’konda to Commander Rosek.  It’s time for our check-in. How are things on board the Ragged Feather? =/\=

Rosek: =/\=We’re still trying to sort out the situation with her engines, sir. Lieutenant Delri’ise is seeing some indications that this might not be accidental. We’re looking more into it, but we’ll need to understand the Golthanni’s written language first. =/\=

Any on Ragged Feather: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Mmh.  With her engines in that sort of shaape, I’m not sure I’d want to risk letting them attempt to maake it home.  Our analysis here shows that the second ship that’s arrived - the heavy cruiser - is not capable of warp speed towing.  Sounds as if we may have something else to offer them. =/\=

Rosek: =/\= As soon as we determine if the ship should even be moved in its current state, we’ll let you know. =/\=

Any on Ragged Feather: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Understood.  Please relay our tow offer to the Captain of the Ragged Feather, Commander.  If they’re amenable, we’ll begin preparations to take them under tow, and it will be a good chaance for their crew to visit the Astraeus. =/\=

Rosek: =/\= Aye, sir. =/\=

Any on Ragged Feather: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Thank you, Commander.  Astraeus out. =/\=

Over the next few minutes, Charmaine busied herself by running passive scans on both alien ships and the surrounding area of space. Her professional curiosity had drawn her attention towards a small pocket of chlorine gas just on the edge of sensor range. It was unusual to see such a pure concentration of the element in deep space, especially in a gaseous form. The ambient temperature was just above the vaporization point.

An unexpected flash of light on the bridge called her attention first to the source - the viewscreen, which showed an explosion aboard the Ragged Feather - then to her station, where she began pointing all the ship’s sensors at the source.

Mei’konda: =/\= All hands, yellow alert.  There’s been an explosion on the alien mining vessel.  We are determining the status of our away teams. Bridge out. =/\=

Ning: They’ve suffered a localized but powerful explosion in their engineering section. I believe most of it was directed outward, as there is a small hull breach. That’s already been sealed by some kind of automated system.

Any on Bridge: Responses

Mei’konda: Commander Ning, status of all life readings on the alien vessel.

She tried her best to put together an accurate report in just a few seconds. She decided to deliver the bottom line, then provide more details if asked.

Ning: I don’t believe there have been any fatalities, but based on the changes in basic readings, there have been some injuries - possibly life threatening.

Mei’konda: =/\= Captain to Sickbay.  You will be receiving wounded shortly from the explosion aboard the alien ship.  Doctor G’Renn, I apologiize that we have not had a chaance to meet formally yet, but we will get to that later.  Your recommendaations on quarantine procedures for our officers? =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= For now, the EVA suits and the inoculations can likely keep the threat of the infection at bay. I recommend that we place sickbay under negative room pressure to keep the atmosphere contained and keep all of our patients in a sterile environment until we know enough to keep ourselves and them healthy aboard the Astraeus. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Understood.  You haave my full authority to make use of whatever ship resources you need, Doctor.  In your estimaation, is it safe to offer help to the aliens in our Sickbay? =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= Sickbay isn’t a very comforting or diplomatic environment, but we can create a safe environment. ::She paused for a moment.:: However, I would advise an abundance of caution. One wrong move could make things a lot less safe rather quickly.  =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Yes.  On this, we will be erring on the siide of caution.  We will do anything we can to help, but we will only briing them aboard if you consider it safe. =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= I consider it safe following proper biohazard containment procedures. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Response =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= The isolation rooms and the Biohazard ICU can both be used to keep the pathogen contained and treat the injured and ill in a controlled environment. I would recommend those from the engine room be routed to the Biohazard ICU without knowing the full extent of the injuries. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= ? =/\=

G’Renn: =/\= Understood, sir. Sickbay out. =/\=

Ning: Captain, I am detecting several small plasma fires. The one in the engine room appears to be coming under control, but there are several others in remote sections of the ship. If they have automated suppression systems, they aren’t responding.

Mei’konda: Response

Ning: The away team’s life signs are stable, but I am reading elevated heart rates and other signs of stress. Some of them are right in the middle of all of this.

Mei’konda: =/\= Resonse =/\=

Rosek: =/\= Response =/\=

===

Lieutenant Commander Charmaine Ning