Captain Mei'konda Delano - Minutes to Midnight (Part 1)

Mei'konda Delano

Jan 10, 2023, 2:00:48 PM1/10/23
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

(( Main Arboretum, Deck 7, USS Astraeus, 239912.31, around 2350 hours ))

As the conversations continued around him, Mei’konda stayed perched up against the bar, one elbow up against the counter while he held his mug of Al-Leyan spiced tea in the other. Normally, most of the officers present would have been in bed by now, as many of them worked one of the early shifts. Tonight, however, was an exception.

Not only the dawn of a new year, but the dawn of a century. Mei wasn’t sure exactly why it felt more special than the usual passing of one year into another, but it was helping to keep him cheerful in the face of the occasional surges of sadness he felt when thinking of those he commanded who were no longer with them.

Mei’konda: Computer, time.

Computer: The time is 2351 hours, Captain.

Straightening up, the lean Caitian began to make his way around the collections of officers and civilians, and over toward the small podium that had been placed near the still covered plaque and statues in this quiet corner of the arboretum. It was nearly midnight. Time to get things started. He cleared his throat and deepened his voice when he spoke, so that it would carry better. They were the sort of tones one learned to use when promoted to Captain.

Mei’konda: Would everyone gather around, please?

Serala / Isa / Raga / Peters: Responses

Kiax / Snow / Levinson / Solok: Responses

Dermont / McKnight / Ral / 101 & 000: Responses

PNPCs (If any): Responses

As the various groups converged in front of the podium, Mei’konda rested his hands atop it, bright blue eyes flicking left and right to take in the expressions of his crew.

Mei’konda: Thank you all for attendiing tonight. I waanted to begiin this short ceremony with a few words to all of you.

Mei paused, glancing back down toward the small gathered wooden boxes that were placed atop the podium as he searched for the right words. Perhaps, he considered, it was less about the exact words and more about simply voicing the emotions he felt for the people aboard the Astraeus. Looking back up, expression serious but warm, the Caitian continued.

Mei’konda: As a Captain, I feel… incrediibly fortunate to serve the Federation with all of you. I truly do believe you are one of the best crews in all of Starfleet. We haave, and will continue to live up to the Federation’s ideals together. Thank you, everyone.

Serala / Isa / Raga / Peters: Responses

Kiax / Snow / Levinson / Solok: Responses

Dermont / McKnight / Ral / 101 & 000: Responses

PNPCs (If any): Responses

Mei’konda: Now, I would like to take one miinute of silence to remember our lost comrades…

Voice somber, he read the names and ranks of the fallen. Then, Mei’konda lowered his head slightly, closed his eyes, and folded his hands behind his back. As the others fell silent as well, the Caitian thought back to the faces of the lost. A few, he’d seen on a nearly daily basis. Most, he’d met once or twice in passing. One, he’d never met at all, and whose face he only recognized after looking in the crewman’s personnel file.

Though it was a small emotional comfort for now, he was sure, intellectually at least, that they would have felt that their death was worth something. In time, he knew the raw emotions would become more distant. He’d process them more completely in the coming months.

As the computer emitted a gentle chime to alert them all that the minute had passed, Mei lifted his head, and spoke once again.

Mei’konda: I do not think that theywaant us to liinger on loss, not toniight. I think that instead, they would prefer that we remember how maany are alive because of them. Because of you. Not just the six hundred and fifty million Caraadians on Lanaxa, but the animal life. The insects. The plaanets themselves would be gone, if not for your efforts. And because of that, I am honored to recognize all of you here tonight.

Mei had only brought the two examples of the awards that he’d been awarded along with the rest of the crew, both of which he held up, one at a time, to display to the gathered officers. The next time everyone present was updating their dress uniforms, the new ribbons would be added. It was a less personal touch than pinning an award to one of his officer’s uniforms directly, but more expedient when involving an award given to the whole crew.

Mei’konda: Starfleet Command has authoriized me to grant the Joint Meritorious Unit award for our work and the Legacy Ribbon to all officers who paarticipated in the last mission. Congratulations, everyone. Now, would Commanders Isa, Raga, Kiax, and Lieutenants Levinson and McKnight join me up here, please?

Isa / Raga / Kiax: Responses

Levinson / McKnight: Responses

Mei’konda: Due to our efforts in paarticular in not only establishing contact with an extremely alien race but good relations with them in a very short amount of time, the fiive of you, and myself, are being recognized with the Diplomacy Ribbon and the First Contact Ribbon. What you all accomplished was incredible.

Stepping down the line of officers, Mei carefully attached each ribbon to the left side of their chests, pausing to shake each man or woman’s hand while meeting their eyes and offering them a nod of appreciation.

Isa / Raga / Kiax: Responses

Levinson / McKnight: Responses

Stepping back behind the podium, Mei’konda continued.

Mei’konda: Commander Kiax, Lieutenant Levinson, please remain up here with myself and the FO for a moment. Mister Peters, Lieutenants Dermont and Ral, step forward.

Kiax / Levinson: Responses

Peters / Dermont / Ral: Responses

Mei’konda: Consiidering the time limit we were faciing, the technologies that you developed in order to both communicaate with Conductor Rehk, and to enable us to divert the neutron star’s course, were absolutely essential to the success of our mission, and to those hundreds of millions who still live today. I am awardiing you all the Innovation Ribbon. Incredible work, all of you. Commander Serala, if you would?

Serala: Response

He passed this set of ribbon boxes to his Romulan First Officer, and watched with a slight smile on his face as she took her turn to make her way down the line of officers.

Kiax / Levinson: Responses

Peters / Dermont / Ral: Responses

Mei’konda: Lieutenants Dermont and Ral, please stay there. The rest of you three may step back.

Dermont / Ral: Responses (If any)

The Caitian turned his smile back to the two engineers.

Mei’konda: Lieutenants, your department head’s damage reports from the Chin’toka spoke glowingly of you two in paarticular. I’m aware that the ship miight not have made it, if not for your efforts in particular. For that, I’m adding a Captain's Commendation to both of your records. Thank you for your haard work. And Lieutenant Ral, once again, please stay up front. Mister Dermont, you may step back.

Dermont / Ral: Responses (If any)

He attached the ribbon to Dermont’s chest first, and to Ral’s second, offering them both a hand to shake. When finished, he returned to the podium, long tail twitching behind his legs.

Mei’konda: Next, I would like Doctors Snow and Solok, and Ensigns One-zero-one and Zero-zero-zero to step forward.

Snow / Solok / 101 & 000: Responses

Captain Mei’konda Delano

Commanding Officer

USS Astraeus, NCC-70652