LtJG Jovenan – Somebody’s playing truant

Jovenan

Nov 4, 2023, 7:49:54 AM11/4/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis))

Tomalen. That’s not a word.

Tomalai. To paint. Somebody was going to paint the deer ship! No, probably not that.

Jovenan sighed. If her counterpart had managed to send even one or two more zeros or ones, she could limit the number of possible endings for the partially transmitted word by a substantial percentage. All she had of the most crucial word, the verb, was the first syllable. After Jovenan had, together with Dakora and Petty Officer Filistrien, warned the Captain and the security, she had been tasked with finding the likeliest continuation of the message. The Captain had asked her to work with Commander Adea, and now, she was heading to his office, her tired brain trying out different endings that could fit the one they had.

She really regretted working around the clock.

Stepping into the sickbay, Jovenan looked around for the person she was looking for. As normally, there were a few patients on biobeds being cared for – nothing serious, it seemed – by the ship’s corps of doctors and nurses. The atmosphere in the room was very different from the last time she had visited here. People walked around on their own feet instead of having to resort to gliding around after the artificial gravity had been turned off. Gone were the injured crewmembers who had found their way here before the corridors were filled with anaesthetic gas, gone were the two goldshirts who had accompanied Team Dakora, and, the most notably of all, gone was the unusual but adorable EMH of theirs. On a normal day, the sickbay seemed even… mundane. It reminded her that it had already been almost a year since her last routine physical, and she should get an appointment for the next shoreleave, should they survive that long.

Curiously, gone was also Doctor Adea. Thinking he might be in his office or some of the other sickbay facilities, Jovenan decided to ask some of the doctors present his whereabouts. She spotted a familiar face, the doctor whom she had helped clearing the gas from the corridors during the previous mission.

Jovenan: Hello, Doctor! Nice to meet you again!

Sadar: Response

Besides the briefly being awarded together during the ribbon ceremony, she hadn’t met Doctor Sadar during the shoreleave. Maybe it was the time to correct that error. The shy doctor reminded so much of her as an ensign it made her question if she was even the same person after all this growth. Or maybe she was just being tired from staying up so late working. Then again, that was a definite sign of maturing, or at least of getting older.

Jovenan: I was looking for Commander Adea, I was meant to work with him on an urgent project. Is he here?

Sadar: Response

Jovenan felt stupid. Obviously, she should have called the Commander and ask where to meet instead of presuming he might want to work from his office. Maybe he had even left for her after the Captain had given the task to work with her.

Jovenan: Oh, we must have gone to look for the another at the same time. I’ll go after him, when did he leave his office?

Sadar: Response

Jovenan: Really? I thought this was his shift.

Sadar: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan