LtJG Hiro Jones - But My NOODLES!

notyourfrog

Aug 14, 2023, 3:04:46 PM8/14/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Draivon District, Cait))

Jones: I certainly hope it's not trouble. That's one thing we definitely don't want.

Lorana: Don't worry Hiro, B'rett's never been able to follow through on anything his entire life. Isn't that right? You're still here, probably still live in that stinking den you call a home.

Backup Meat-head #1: Hey! You can't talk to B'rett like that, traitor.

This was getting out of hand. Hiro noted how the group of Caitian males were positioning and readying themselves for something. He really didn't want a fight, but at this latest verbal jab, he saw Luxa's shoulders slump ever so slightly - a sign the words had found their target with more accuracy than perhaps had even been intended. He was not pleased.

Jones: Excuse me? I think that's too far. I can understand your jealousy. She got offworld while you stays here and ... what? Joined a pack of other wash-outs that hang out in bars and play dabo?

Backup Meat-head #1: I wasn't ... no ... I mean shut up, you bald monkey!

B'rett: Yeah! You think you can come here and talk to me like that? ::Laughs, and looks at his cronies to join in, which they do:: Bald monkey!

Jones: ::to Luxa:: Maybe we should try another place?

Backup Meathead #1: Maybe you should stay where you are 'till B'rett says you can go!

Lorana: I've lost my appetite, ::looks to the group:: the stench is off-putting.

She was trying to stand firm rather than give into their jibes. That was something, and he respected his friend all the more for being able to rise above the petty insults of brainless wash-outs.

Jones: And I don't take orders from B'rett. Or any of you. This is not a fight you want to pick, friend. ::slowly and clearly:: Take my advice, and go back to playing dabo.

Hiro's jaw clenched and relaxed. He sat very still, never breaking eye contact with the leader of this little pack.

B'rett: I don't take advice from the likes of you.

As B'rett took a step toward Hiro, he snarled, baring his teeth. In his lower periphery, Hiro saw the lethal-looking claws out and ready. Luxa interposed herself, her own claws out, hair standing on end, eyes wide. The hiss that emanated from her was enough to make the (less impressive) hairs on Hiro's neck stand up. B'rett hesitated for a second, looking somewhat cowed by this more justified show of dominance. One of friends apparently was either braver or slower-witted though, and launched himself toward Luxa, shoving her to the side. As she stumbled into a nearby table, sending the drinks there toppling into the laps of the seated patrons, something pent-up in Hiro snapped open.

Using the distraction caused by the sudden movement and noise, Hiro kicked back against the bar while ducking under the likely right hook (claws and all). His own un-clawed fist was less lethal, but he still knew how to throw a punch. Countless hours in a boxing ring under the careful (and sometimes brutal) tutelage of Tanya Jones had taught him how to use any disparity between himself and an opponent to his advantage. The Caitians were quicker, more agile, had big ol' razors coming out of their paws, sure, but Hiro was a doctor. His uppercut caught B'rett in the solar plexus. He saw the claws retract slightly as the whoosh of air left the bully's lungs.

Jones: We don't have to do this, B'rett!

Lorana: What are you doing?!

Jones: Trying not to fight!

Trying and succeeding are very different things. Almost as soon as they heard the thud of Hiro's fist and the sudden exhale from their leader, the rest of the meat-heads launched into action, toppling tables and chairs as they tried to move to B'rett's aid. Rather than run however, several of the other patrons took advantage of this moment to let out some of their own feelings toward B'rett and his gang.

Hiro however, didn't have much time to reflect on the overall popularity (or whatever the opposite of that is) of the group. B'rett had regained his breath (and claws) quickly, and was raising a dense paw for a cutting swipe.

It was Luxa's turn to play the white knight. She leapt from her position at B'rett, taking him with her in a tumble that crashed them both into the bar. She however used the momentum to flip over him landing in a crouch atop the bar. She roared and brandished her claws at him. Adrenaline must have kicked in, because B'rett didn't back down this time, but lunged forward at her. She easily avoided his attack, having the high ground advantage, then reposted with her own attack. The slashes of red that instantly appeared on B'rett's fur came with a shriek and snarl of his own.

One of the gang lifted B'rett from the ground, encouraging him to go. Hiro didn't want to take more risks than they already had, so he was happy to see the group making a hasty exit. Luxa looked around as she hopped from the bartop, eventually meeting Hiro's eyes.

Jones: We should probably go too.

Law Enforcement Officer: No, I think not. The two of you need to come with me.

It wasn't clear whether they'd been in the bar the whole time or responded very quickly to some call Hiro hadn't been aware of. oO Maybe that's where the bartender had gone? Oo All that was clear was that four very dominating presences were now commanding the room. No matter what planet you're on, it's always clear who the cops are.

Jones: Aw crap.

Lorana: Response

(( Timeskip - about an hour later, Cait Detention Facility, Cell 3 ))

Hiro's stomach was still growling. In spite of the turn the day had taken, hunger was one of those things that rarely gave way to other inconveniences. He and Luxa sat on the floor of an unfurnished cell, awaiting release. Or execution? He wasn't sure how the legal system worked on Cait, but he hoped it was more forgiving than that of the Edo.

He looked over at his friend. She hadn't said much since the bar, and he wanted to make sure she was holding up ok.

Jones: I'm sorry, Luxa. Those guys were totally out of line.

Lorana: Response

Jones: What happens now? Will they release us or will we have to be ... collected by someone from the Artemis?

Lorana: Response

A moment passed, and Hiro's stomach rumbled again.

Jones: Think I could ask the guard for a sandwich or something?

Lorana: Response

Tags/TBC

USS Artemis-A, Counselor
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius