Ensign Jovenan – Ranger at range

Jovenan

May 3, 2023, 7:01:16 AM5/3/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((La’kso Canyon, Meranuge IV))

After a terrifying yet eventually harmless encounter with a scaled monarch, it was time to continue their walk across the canyon. They still had the most spectacular parts to see.

Jovenan: Have you kept track of our heading, Luxa? I would like to see some of those fluorescent mineral deposits or something else interesting and maybe have lunch there.

Lorana: Yes, we should begin to see the deposits about half a click along this ridge. We could then safely grapple down the canyon. :: Points on her PADD :: Here's where we can have lunch? I think I'd like to avoid being eaten by a scaled monarch… that's not the kind of interesting I'm looking for.

Jovenan shook her head. Not a holiday experience one could give a complimentary review of.

Savel: That should not be a cause for concern. As long as no one has brought provisions that might attract the monarch.

Kader: Response

With them on the move again, Jovenan had the opportunity to return to the story she had almost started.

Jovenan: Right. On my first shoreleave, Commander Niac took me and two other ensigns – Hiro, Doctor Jones, you know him, he was there – to a spacewalk on the ship’s hull. Just before the shoreleave, the ship had been decapacitated by a virus, and apparently it was still influencing the systems. The hatch got locked and we couldn’t get in.

Lorana: That's one of my worst nightmares.

Savel: How unfortunate.

Kader: Response

Jovenan: We were docked on the Deep Space 224, so our only option was to jump from the ship to a small airlock on the station. Our suits also failed because of the virus, so we couldn’t control it, it was just freefall to the airlock.

Lorana: I'm happy you made it, Jovenan.

Savel: What of Commander Niac?

Jovenan smiled and nodded in signalling he had survived as well. More than that, he had soon been given a transfer to the Arrow and a promotion to its first officer. She didn’t know if the incident had made any difference in getting the promotion, but surely that kind of calm leadership of inexperienced ensigns counted as a positive.

Kader: Response

They reached a patch with very unwalkable terrain.

Lorana: :: points ahead :: This terrain is a little tricky.

They had ropes and hooks, but Jovenan was unsure how they could use those to get across. She wished she had more experience in rock climbing, although she wasn’t interested in starting the hobby either. Just the skills, please.

Lorana: I can leap up there and pull you up? That may be best.

Savel: I will go after you. I can help lift whoever is left.

Jovenan was happy to have such strong and athletic people with her that day. She wouldn’t have a chance of getting across with her miniscule body.

Jovenan: Can you make it across? Then it sounds good to me.

Kader: Response

Suddenly, Lorana cocked her head and stopped to listen. Jovenan was about to ask what’s the matter, but the other science ensign placed her hand (paw?) to her mouth to indicate they needed to be silent.

Lorana: We're not alone.

Savel was quick to pull out his phaser. Jovenan looked around frantically, trying to spot whoever or whatever Lorana had detected. She hoped things weren’t going to be escalated. She regretted bringing the other ensigns to such a dangerous place.

Lorana: The nearest population centre is over 100 miles away. As far as I'm aware there is no farmland nearby?

Savel: You are correct, Luxa.

Jovenan: Are they Da’al? I can’t see anything.

Kader: Response

Savel: Anyone unarmed, please stand behind me.

Jovenan slowly moved behind Savel’s cover. She had been expecting to find something from this barren wilderness, but she was clearly ill-prepared against any people who might still be lurking around in the canyon.

Savel: This is Ensign Savel, of the Starfleet vessel Artemis. Your being here is no longer a secret. Present yourself to us now, or your secrecy will be interpreted as a threat.

Any: Response

Jovenan tried finding the hiding people Savel was talking to. She tried remaining as silent and still as possible, hoping to hear anything, but everything she could hear was her own, racing heartbeat.

Savel: Luxa, let me know if you detect any additional signs of movement.

Lorana: Response

Savel: Flint, Jovenan, should danger present itself, do not take any unnecessary risks. A retreat to the shuttle would be our best strategy.

Jovenan: A-aye.

She almost said “sir” to the end. She was more than happy to let the security officer take the lead of the situation.

Kader: Response

Kireeh: Put down your weapon, sir, there’s no need for it.

Savel/Kader/Lorana: Response

Jovenan turned her head around to see who had shouted to them. Eventually, she could see two Da’al men looking at them by a large rock. They left the rock and slowly approached them. They didn’t seem aggressive, at least Jovenan couldn’t spot either of them carrying a weapon. One of the Da’al men walked to the group and stopped in front of them.

Kireeh: I am Senior Warden Valhe, of the Planetary Park Service, Northeast Regional Ranger Division. This is my patrol partner, Junior Warden Sepite. May I ask why you threaten us with weapons?

A park ranger? Jovenan looked at the pair up and down. It was entirely possible they were just park rangers, checking in on them or enforcing some nature protection regulation or something. She was somewhat dubious. Given what she knew of the place, it was entirely possible these people had far more sinister reasons to patrol the area. The other ensigns were not aware of that, maybe they could convince these people they were not a threat to the Da’al. It was better to let them speak and hope the Da’al wouldn’t inspect them.

Savel/Kader/Lorana: Response

Jovenan: W-we’re sorry about having the phaser out.

Kireeh: I see. You don’t look like you’re from around here. ::looks at them back and forth:: Enjoying the natural beauty of the Canyon, eh?

Savel/Kader/Lorana: Response

Jovenan: And I’m a planetary scientist. I wanted to see the cliffs and the fluorescent minerals. The canyon is quite unique in this area of space.

Kireeh/Rennol/Savel/Kader/Lorana: Response

((OOC: Not moving the scene further, just integrating the NPCs better to the storyline. I want to see how you people handle this!))

TAG/TBC
----
Ensign Jovenan
Science officer