Lt. Commander Yogan Yalu — Bamboozled

Yogan Yalu

Jun 13, 2023, 11:26:04 AM6/13/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Turbolift, USS Artemis ))

Yogan had received the captain’s authorization to lead a team below decks to repel an attempt to board the ship. Savel had come up with the idea to “let” Berlin beam a boarding party over and then raise shields, trapping them on Artemis, so he was a shoo-in for Yogan’s team. Vedic was also a natural choice, as Yogan surmised the likeliest route to taking the ship from within would be through engineering, if not the bridge.

As the trio of officers stepped into the turbolift, Yogan hoped he was right.

Yalu: ::to computer:: Deck 15. ::beat:: Don’t worry, ensigns. This is only a game. No one’s in any real danger.

The ship rocked and the turbolift car clunked against the inside of the shaft before resuming its journey. Vedic shot Yogan a look.

Vedic: Just a game, right.

The Bajoran started humming—right up there with whistling and knuckle-cracking on the list of nervous habits. Yogan didn’t recognize the tune but it sounded theatrical. The influence of Keroga Yalu’s memories caused Yogan to absentmindedly tap his boot to the rhythm.

Savel: response

The turbolift doors opened on Engineering.

Yalu: response

(( Near Engineering, Deck 15, USS Artemis ))

Yogan, Savel and Vedic stepped out of the turbolift. A moment later, two security crewmen approached their position. Yogan joined Savel in front, leaving Vedic in the middle and their security entourage bringing up the rear. The team of five moved slowly down the corridor toward the large open doorway to engineering.

Yalu: My tricorder showed a beam-in somewhere near main engineering. Ensign Vedic, you know the lay of the land best of all of us. If you were an infiltrator set on destroying the ship, where on this deck would you start?

Vedic / Savel: response

Yogan raised his phaser and gave a curt nod to his team, silently indicating that they proceed. The handful of crew on duty in engineering all still sported green-glowing combadges. The “opposing force” hadn’t gotten to them yet. Yogan motioned for them to bypass the primary entrance in favor of one of the smaller side doors nearby. As they passed by one of them, a muffled voice broke the silence.

Voice:thirsty animal…

Yalu: ::whispers:: What the hell is that?

Vedic / Savel: response

They took another few steps forward and the voice sounded off again, louder and clearer this time.

Voice: …check the relative humidity…

Vedic / Savel: response

Yalu: Hang on a second. I know that voice. ::turns to the nearest door and draws weapon:: Computer, open this door, authorization Yalu-Eta-Pi.

The door slid open and, for a split second, Yogan expected to stare down the proverbial barrels of a half-dozen phasers. He should have anticipated what awaited them on the inside of the lab. Amidst a cluster of nondescript cargo containers stacked four high was a large, overturned Repli-Vendor 3000 kiosk (OOC: credit to Travis), with its program running on a loop. Yogan recognized the face of the Grazerite on the display, smiling goofily. Or rather, Moofily.

Recording:Hi, I’m Shuubu Moof, owner and proprietor of You Goblet Be Kidding Me! I’m here to get that beverage into your body in the classiest way possible…

Yalu: ::mutters:: Dammit, Talos. You evil genius.

Yogan took a moment to collect himself. He wasn’t embarrassed so much as disappointed in himself for underestimating his counterparts on Berlin. Of course they wouldn’t play right into his hands. Engineering was too tempting, too good to be true.

Yalu: We’ve been bamboozled, gentleman. They must have beamed themselves and this stuff over at the same time to different places. ::to Savel:: Any idea where the Opfor team might have wound up?

Savel: response

Recording:So browse our selection of fine-ass drinkware. Check the relative humidity, because things are about to get muggy!...

Yalu: Yeah, yeah.

Yalu kicked the Repli-Vendor to silence the sales pitch.

Yalu: ::to Vedic:: Let’s consider our options while we’re down here. Engineering is still the secondary command center of the ship. We might not be able to stop them with a phaser blast to the combadge, but we can make things difficult for them. Whaddaya think, Ensign?

Vedic: response

Tag / TBC

Lieutenant Commander Yogan Yalu
Second Officer & Strategic Operations Officer
USS Artemis NCC-81287
D238804DS0