Ens Chevalier - The science of long-forgotten suffering

CPT Arianus

Apr 12, 2024, 8:16:55 AMApr 12
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( Rakantha Province, Bajor ))

After disembarking from the shuttle, Lieutenant Jovenan organized them into groups: Gnai and Renirs, Savel and Chevalier. These groups, now standing together, were ready to venture into the vast expanse of Rakantha Province's soi, a landscape painted in dusty browns and oranges.

Gnai: Are you ready, Crewman Renirs? ::pointing to the nearest bend in the river:: That would make a decent starting point to trace the toxins.

Renirs: ::groan:: Fine.

Renirs appeared as “the most enthusiastic person for this mission,” but her lack of interest was evident from their one-word responses, which were delivered in a disinterested tone.

Savel: It is unfortunate that the Bajorans living in this province have not been able to reverse the damage done by the Cardassians. Even though this is a simple training exercise, perhaps we will gather data that can help to correct that.

Chevalier: Unfortunately, the Federation did not provide more support to Bajor beyond the minimum necessities. But with the collapse of the Romulan Empire and Cardassia Union, the synth attack on Mars, and a million other things, it looks like one of the Federation's most vital allies during the Dominion War simply fell through the cracks…

Jaseb looked by the corner of his eye at Gnai. As much as he sympathized with his situation, the lieutenant had already decided there was no turning back. Jaseb had to make do with Savel. As he waved for the last time to his roommate, Ensign Chevalier left the shuttle group behind with his research companion.

Savel led the group through the countryside, searching for a suitable location to begin their task. He appeared to be fascinated by a flat and featureless piece of land that they stumbled upon, causing him to stop and retrieve his tricorder. Jaseb, who had been following him closely, nodded in agreement, signaling that they had finally found the perfect spot to begin their assigned task.

Savel: I suggest we both take readings from the same points. That way we may compare our data and assist one another should we need it. This seems like a good spot to begin.

Ensign Chevalier nodded in acknowledgment and stepped back to make space for Savel. He was the first to take action, kneeling down and initiating a scan of the surface using the tricorder. Chevalier did his scan following the trail of Savel’s steps, while after a while he stopped and obviously scanned something in more detail and depth. After a few moments and a few beeps, the screen began to display some data.

Savel: Just as we suspected. Most of the organic matter has been broken down over time so that very little of it remains. I don't immediately see anything toxic about the soil but it certainly does not contain the necessary components to sustain much in the way of life. ::looking to Jaseb:: What are the results of your scan?

Chevalier: I concur with your summary, Savel. It is evident that the soil is deficient in nutrients, and despite the disappearance of the toxins due to washing, absorption, or breakdown within their half-life, the soil remains incapable of regenerating itself. Look here, do you see it? Groundwater still exists beneath the soil. However, other data indicates that it has not contributed to the regeneration of the soil, and the pH levels and nutrient content still remain unsatisfactory…

Moving closer, the Vulcan stood beside Jaseb to hold his tricorder next to his own. This allowed them to compare the readouts easily.

Chevalier: We need additional data and scans, but within the first readings, there is evident cause for concern. The toxin levels in the soil, groundwater, and atmospheric conditions do not align with the degree of soil degradation observed. I would further investigate this before we report any conclusions to the lieutenant.

Savel: Response

TAG/TBC

--
Ensign Jaseb Chevalier