Ens. Gnai - Not Trying To Brag Or Anything But We Galadorans Are Pretty Decent At Robotics

Lich

Apr 20, 2024, 6:10:03 PMApr 20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Main Engineering, Deck 15 - USS Artemis-A))

There he was! Gnai dodged through the light hive of activity that was Main Engineering, and arrived at where Lt. Cmdr. Salkath stood waiting for it. This was a far more exciting prospect, to get its suit investigated and potentially repaired, than the check-in with the CMO had been. But even that had gone well, so with luck this would be even smoother.

Gnai: Sorry to keep you waiting, sir!

Salkath: ::with amicable dismissal:: Do not concern yourself, Ensign. The wait was negligible. I am honored that you still wish me to assist with your suit upkeep.

Gnai: Of course. There is only so much that can be done with prior knowledge and engineering elective courses. It has been a while since a proper engineer took a look at it.

Lt. Cmdr. Salkath gestured to the whole of Main Engineering, outfitted with all that they would likely need, and far more that they wouldn't. Much like the Science area of the ship felt like somewhat of a playground for the various scientists that worked there, this felt like some place that any whim an engineer had could be fulfilled.

Salkath: We have anything and everything available at our disposal. These engineers ::trying to keep a tone of disapproval and disdain out of his voice:: are not accomplishing anything of note that cannot be displaced for our needs. I must confess, I am unsure of what exactly we may need...

Gnai: Standard diagnostic tools should be enough? For repairs, that depends on what is wrong, presumably. Most tools should be analogous to Federation tools. Maybe except a... ::it paused, then tried to mime the shape of a tool with the hands of its suit:: the term is escaping me. But that can be replicated if needed.

Salkath: Well, Galadoran literature within Starfleet databases on your containment suit is... lacking. Whether that is by choice or by design? ...

It would be far more concerned if there were literature on its suit, given that it was one of its kind in design. That would mean that someone, somehow had enough information on it to publish. Why would anyone care enough to do so? Gnai wouldn't, it was still on Galador II and had no reason to publish anything for Starfleet.

Gnai: This was a collaboration with a mentor, Gnai. It is unique. ::pause:: There should be no literature on it.

Salkath: If this is so, how have you maintained your suit throughout your Academy training and burgeoning career? Have you conducted repairs and maintenance yourself?

This was a bit of a source of pride for Gnai, that it had helped create what it wore, and that it had been reasonably decent at its upkeep for the last few years.

Gnai: Basic maintenance is not altogether very difficult. The primary concern today is that there may be things that have been overlooked, or that would be better to be replaced by a more competent engineer than simply serviced.

Salkath: Response

Gnai bobbed up and down. Exactly, he understood what it meant.

Gnai: Most of the suit is fairly simple, mechanically. ::pointing out parts as it mentions them:: The maintenance on these joints has primarily been to ensure that they are properly lubricated. The arms and legs are trivial to understand, hopefully. Most species develop some forms of robotics, correct?

Perhaps not at the level of Galadoran robotics, but it didn't want to seem like a braggart. Besides, it wasn't at all a roboticist, it just happened to have been apprenticed to a good one. Enough of the knowledge was imparted that it had a basic understanding of what was under the panels in its limbs.

Salkath: Response

Gnai: ::pointing them out on the suit:: The power and voice systems can be explained if needed, as they are possibly novel technology for you? But those are functioning well at the moment.

Galadoran tech was known to the Federation, but with limited literature, as Lt. Cmdr. Salkath had mentioned. As such, it wasn't sure if he would have had experience with such things, but it would be pleasantly surprised if he had. Rather than the standard isolinear circuitry, the systems ran on light-filled chambers of chemical fluids, similar in appearance to bio-neural circuits.

Gnai did hope that he had read up on them at least a little. It only knew the theory behind their function, and hadn't done much of the practical work with them. That had been on its mentor, Gnai.

Salkath: Response

Gnai: In all honesty, the hope is also to get a baseline for what normal functioning is with the suit in the mind of a trusted engineer on the ship. Much like having an early physical check-up with a medical officer. There is no obvious damage that will need to be repaired at this moment.

It didn't want the whole of the Engineering department to get their hands on its suit or know about how it was built, but it did feel the need to have at least one person who might be able to help in the future. This was just a healthy level of concern that any Galadoran might feel towards sharing its more personal work. Nothing more.

Salkath: Response

TAG/TBC

--
Ensign Gnai