LtJG Jovenan – Bumps and bruises, nothing serious so far

Jovenan

Dec 17, 2023, 7:52:14 AM12/17/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis))

Jovenan: Hello, Doctor Sadar! I have an appointment, would you have time for that now?

The Doctor seemed like she had been surprised – but not startled – by her voice. Jovenan didn’t mean to do that to her. Doctor Sadar must have been so focused on something else that she hadn’t heard Jovenan entering and walking to her. Had it been something work related, or was Doctor Sadar, like so many others on the ship, still dealing with the events of the previous attack? Jovenan couldn’t tell.

Sadar: Uhh- ::looks up the duty roster for the day:: I, yes! Yes, of course. Right this way Lieutenant.

Doctor Sadar showed her way further into the room, to a free biobed. Jovenan had visited the sickbay often, but not as a patient. In matter of fact, the previous time she was there to see a doctor was when she asked Doctor Sadar to accompany her to save Doctor Adea from a closet. That was something Jovenan wanted to address before they’d start.

Jovenan: Um, I’m not sure if I have said this, but thank you for believing me with the whole thing with Doctor Adea. I put you in a difficult position, and things would have gone very differently if it hadn’t been for you.

Sadar: N-No, it was, uhh… Th-Thank you for noticing, I suppose? I mean, that is to say… ::panics for a change of topic:: C-Could you summarize your medical history for me, Sir?

Oh, okay. Jovenan hoped she hadn’t made the Doctor uncomfortable – again – with what she had said. Scolding herself in her mind to better take notice of other people’s sensitivities, Jovenan moved onwards to respond to the Doctor’s question.

Jovenan: Yes, of course. Well, I had my previous medical check-up a year ago, with Doctor Adea, soon after my graduation from the Academy and being assigned to the Excalibur. I thought it was a good time to see that everything was still okay.

Sadar: ::nods:: That is a commendable attitude, Sir. ::gestures for Jovenan to sit before she fetches the medical cart:: Do you have any specific concerns?

She thought for a fleeting moment. While she hadn’t needed acute medical help during her time in service, she had had her share in minor bumps and bruises: she had been exposed to an engineered virus spread in replicated tacos, hit her upper body to the external hull of a space station after a freefall in open space, chafed her hands trying to rappel down a cliff to save Luxa who had been thrown off by a terrorist, and bruised her legs under zero gravity conditions when the pirates were attacking. You know, basic stuff.

Jovenan: No, I’ve been healthy this whole time, as far as I know.

Sadar: I see. ::pulls out a tricorder:: A general scan first.

She straightened her back as she tried to remain as immobile sitting on the biobed. She knew that medical tests shouldn’t be taken the same way as exams and quizzes in school, but a part in her was worried that at the end of the check-up, the Doctor would give her an F and make her repeat the year.

Sadar: For the record, Sir: I believe you to be quite excellent at leadership.

Jovenan was surprised. She wasn’t quite certain what she had done to earn that remark or to give Dr Sadar that impression. Sure, she had had to direct a team consisting of herself and the Doctor once or twice, but she couldn’t really tell if she had been a proper leader, not to mention an excellent one. She had only made it to that role because she had outranked the Doctor, and even then, only by a half a pip, which Dr Sadar was sure to be earning soon anyway. Meanwhile it had been the Doctor who had done the most important work in their team.

Jovenan: Oh. Uh, thank you. But I…

Sadar: Follow the light, please.

Jovenan’s eyes widened by the unexpected interruption and request, and Dr Sadar pointed a light to her face immediately after that. An expression of a contained startle on her face, she followed the light with her eyes alone, allowing the Doctor to run the test.

Jovenan: D- does everything seem to be in order?

Sadar: Response

She shrugged a little.

Jovenan: Not much, to be honest. My work involves mostly sitting and working on computer. Despite what it might seem, I don’t actually get called into combat so often. ::polite smile:: But I have a run in the Fitness Centre every now and then.

Sadar: Response

She observed as the Doctor did her job, writing things down or preparing for the next test. She had come here to ask for a medical check-up, so it was obvious that they would be talking about her, but all that prolonged attention to her alone made her somewhat conscious of herself. She decided to ask something from the Doctor for a change.

Jovenan: Have you been to Betazed before?

Sadar: Response

Jovenan nodded listening to her response, while also complying with Dr Sadar’s instructions to her.

Jovenan: Are you planning to go down to the surface?

Sadar: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan