ENS Chevalier - Vacuum Cleaner Robot

CPT Arianus

Jan 20, 2024, 8:16:02 PMJan 20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Holodeck 3 - Deck 3, USS Artemis-A))

Yellir: Computer— begin program.

Elysium came to life, just like that. Background music came to their ears, altogether with muffled discussions and loud laughter somewhere from above their heads. Jaseb even saw Damien behind the bar, he was just cleaning glasses and he listened to the story told by some Andorian in yellow uniform. Everything was as it should be.

Except this should be a damage control exercise. Something will happen. Something bad, something quick...

And then it happened. Everyone could feel it, as the deck plates vibrated slightly, but unpleasantly. And, as you took a breath, you could hear it too. Metal was ripping from the hull, squeezing and crunching in its serenade of pain, a serenade every engineer had nightmares
about. The hull was shattered, Red Alert screamed through the corridors altogether with the people who were trying to reach their stations.

Captain’s Voice: =/\= We’re under attack. Everyone, to your stations. =/\=

Yellir: You all know what you need to do.

Jaseb looked around Elysium, trying to get his bearings in the ever-worsening situation. Some already reached the door out the lounge.

Crewman #1: It’s stuck!

Jaseb's eyes, altogether with everyone in the room, looked at that single voice of the crewman who was trying to open the door out. To no success, no avail. Jaseb looked around, that was not the way out, but the people spilled from one side of the lounge to the other, the bodies of the civilian and the Starfleet member, the sea of uniforms and clothes colors, changed a
lmost without order or meaning. Plan, they needed a plan. His eyes caught sight of Ensign Sadar and Braga, moving through the bodies of holograms. He tried to get through to them, call them to unite and finally do something meaningful...

Chevalier: Ensign Sadar! Braga! Here!

…they did not hear him, as they also tried to push through the cacophony of sounds, voices and bodies. Jaseb finally got a glance at the place they were trying to reach. Of course, the
emergency equipment lockers...

Ensign Sadar and Braga finally reached their intended location, and another ensign already – and literally – tore open one of the
boxes' access panels. Jaseb finally picked up with them, and it was at that moment, when he saw lieutenant Yellir with the group too.

Braga: Lieutenant, a hull breach has opened in the corridor outside the lounge. The safeties have triggered to keep us locked in here.

Yellir: Probably to keep us isolated. The magnetic seal has been activated on the surrounding doors to limit the vacuum exposure.

Lieutenant stood where she was, a statue of authority who should be
giving orders, but if she did, this exercise would lose its meaning. They were alone, they needed to find the solution.

Sadar: C-Can’t we override it?

Chevalier
: Technically...yes... but then we would ventilate our air and possibly widen the crack and damage the hull even more, if the containment field did not cover the breach yet.

Verrena: Can we tell if the containment field that’s supposed to cover the breach has triggered yet?

Braga was already holding his tricoder, silent for a moment, as he read the readings.

Braga: It hasn’t. ::pause:: What do we do then? We need to get that breach sealed.

Sadar: I found-

Jaseb turned to follow the voice and saw Ensign Sadar behind the bar, but just then Ensign Braga poke him, so Jaseb
gave them his attention.

Braga: Do we have any species here that can deal with a vacuum?

Verrena: I don’t know. And I don’t think we have magboots available without heading a deck up.

Chevalier: No, not me, I still need air to breathe - don
't think about it. But on the other topic, we don't need magboots. If we find a rope and we attach ourselves to something firmly anchored, it should be enough.

The Yelikan stayed silent as they continued their brainstorming.

Gazki: ::clicking:: We could attempt-

Sadar: Umm!

The
group, including Jaseb, fell quiet as Gila walked closer, holding the first-aid kit.

Sadar: I have rebreathers. It’s a limited oxygen supply, since they’re usually intended for temporary reprieve until a patient can be brought to Sickbay, but if we can find out how far away the hull breach is, it might be enough to get a repair team close enough.

Braga: That’s great. What about the vacuum though? Everyone’s still going to get sucked through the door when the two opposing pressures try to level out.

Chevalier:
We could use our own uniforms. If we find some sealant, we can wrap the uniforms and seal them around the exposed parts of those who will go out. It won't be perfect, but it will give them another minute or two to the five minutes limit, which we should theoretically, as warm-blooded beings, be able to withstand within the thermal effects of the vacuum.

Gazki: ::to Yellir:: Chief, is it possible for us to make a containment warp field pre-emptively on this side of the door? That way, the repair team should be able to exit safely without endangering the crew remaining in here, yes?

oO That sounds reasonable and helpful.

Jaseb smiled.

Yellir: We’d need to manually trigger the forcefield emitters by feeding power through them— we can re-route the EPS conduits in this room to do so. Gazki and Chevalier, get to work on diverting power, I want that containment field ready to go as soon as we can.

Chevalier:
Aye, ma'am. On my way.

Sadar
: Response?

Yellir: Ensign Sadar— focus on fitting the team with those rebreathers. We won’t have enough power to generate an atmosphere, and stand ready to begin treating symptoms of hypoxia and vacuum exposure.

Sadar: Response?

Chevalier:
Come Gazki, the access panel should be there. ::points to the bar::

Jaseb with ensign Gazki headed for the bar, and jumped over the bar counter to get to one of the several power distributors in the lounge. Gazki opened the panel, while Jaseb scanned the distributor currents.

Chevalier: If I remember correctly, Elysium should have separated distribution between food and drink replicators. Take energy just from the drink replicators, as
we may need to reprogram food replicators later to replicate something else useful. And we can use the energy from the entertainment system as well, as we will not need it now.

Gazki: If you say so...

Gazki began rearranging the control chips in the panel and redirecting the energy to the EPS manifolds, enabling the creation of the needed containment field.

Gazki: Okay, we have it. It will be close to the power input
margin needed, more than I would like, but it should be enough.

Jaseb nodded to Gazki and turned to lieutenant Yellir and Ensign's group.

Chevalier: Lieutenant, we are ready to feed the emitters. Just tell us when we should turn them on!

Yellir/Sadar: Response

TAG / TBC

--

Ensign Jaseb Chevalier