Lt. Gabriel Osuna: Ground Zero

Robin Hopper

Mar 7, 2023, 3:12:11 AM3/7/23
to USS Artemis (IC)

((Type 11 Shuttlecraft Galaktoboureko – Tecra, Da’al))

When he’d selected it for the mission, Gabriel had initially assumed that the Galaktoboureko, like the other, more familiar, Griffin, was named after some sort of mythological beast. It certainly sounded grand and cosmic. However, once the team had boarded and the shuttle left the hangar bound for the Da’al surface, he’d taken the time to look it up – and was surprised to find that it was, in fact, named for a mediterranean dessert. Given the serious nature of their mission, he’d then felt as though the selection might seem rather tasteless… though it was too late to turn back and select another. The Da’al people needed their help… So the Galaktoboureko would have to do.

Truth be told, he’d been a little nervous approaching Commander Yalu and advocating for the shuttlecraft – but in his mind it had been a necessity. He’d run enough Search and Rescue operations with the Diplomatic Corps and read enough mission reports to know that physical transport, while less elegant than transporters, were statistically more reliable – and offered additional defensive and offensive capabilities in a pinch. Visiting a planet with a populace whose true feelings for the Federation were, at best, ambiguous… to assist with a disaster, the details of which were confusing and unclear… in a historically unstable region of space… He didn’t feel comfortable relying on transporters.

Yalu: Lieutenant, you’re responsible for remembering where we parked this thing.

Osuna turned back to Yalu, looking over his shoulder as the shuttle’s hatch sealed. He raised a hand, shielding his eyes from the bright sun for a moment, to make sure he read Yalu’s expression right. The Commander had expressed some reservations about the notion – but for his part, Gabriel certainly felt safer knowing that they had options.

Yalu: If I have to explain to Captain MacKenzie why my team lost a shuttlecraft on our first mission, I’m going to be very sad.

Osuna: Don’t worry, I’m great with directions, Sir.  ::Looking about, briefly::  I was a boy scout, you know.

He looked back to Yalu. The Trill Commander did not seem particularly convinced. Gabe could live with that. If the #$%@ hit the fan, and transporters rendered inoperable, they’d all be grateful.

Yalu: Right, team. Let’s go.

As Yalu walked past him, Gabe refrained from sighing, and instead reached into the slim pocket hidden within the flap of his uniform tunic, removing a pair of standard issue sunglasses, and putting them on. The Da’al homeworld, with its bright sun, felt warm compared to the climate-controlled Artemis.  oO Almost like home… Oo  he thought.

He turned to his gold-uniformed colleagues, Braga and T’nil, and tapped his sunglasses. The Human and Vulcan security officers responded silently, donning their shades as well. Then, he turned and followed Yalu, Jones, and Yellir forward, taking a rear position.

((OOC – As mentioned previously, Osuna has brought along two extra security personnel (NPCs) who can be ‘bossed around’ by anyone. Otherwise, assume they are present but not “active” and don’t leave them unfilled tags – you can just write for them.))

The group walked down a typical suburban street. Typical, except for the abandoned houses with empty window frames, the glass blown out by the shockwave of the meteor’s impact. Ten meters ahead, street ended abruptly in a massive smoking crater that extended as far as the hazy, acrid environment would allow them to see.

Osuna felt his jaw tighten. The devastation was shocking, easily surpassing the images he’d seen from the Dominion War front – and reminiscent of the destruction of Omallerha, Betazed, 12 years earlier, where one million souls had been lost. Senseless destruction and death had always been a part of existence in the Milky Way Galaxy… yet it never ceased to inspire horror in those forced to witness the aftermath.

Gabriel followed as Yalu led them along the edge of the crater and spotted their Medical Officer, Jones, running a preliminary tricorder scan.  oO Good, Oo  he figured.  oO The first of many. Oo

After some time, they came upon the temporary ‘command center’, established among a scattering of temporary shelters. Osuna had seen plenty of similar structures on other worlds. They were quick, efficient, and cheap – good for establishing a base of operations or sheltering refugees overnight – but they weren’t built to last… and they were hard to secure. Had the Da’al been more receptive to the Federation’s aid before, they may well have the same self-assembling shelter technology utilized by Starfleet away teams or disaster response teams on Colonial Coalition worlds – resilient, reliable… But one had to make do with what was present, not what was ideal.

One of the Da'al walked up to the Starfleet officers – someone who seemed to be expecting them, which was hopefully a positive sign. Commander Yalu greeted the man, and Gabriel removed his sunglasses for the time being, trying to avoid seeming ‘cold’ to the Da’al or their contact.

Yalu: Kef’in Dari, I presume. I am Yogan Yalu from the Federation starship Artemis.

Osuna: ::Slight nod:: Gabriel Osuna, ::indicating his colleagues::  Ensigns Braga and T’nil.

Yellir: Response

Dari: Response

Osuna glanced at Jones, out of the corner of his eye, noting his silence, wondering if the Doctor was feeling nervous – but his attention was quickly brought back to the conversation happening at the group’s fore.

Yalu: Before we do anything else, I want to express my deepest condolences for what has happened. We’re here to help however we can.

Dari: Response

The Commander nodded and gestured to each of his teammates in turn.

Yalu: Based on your expressed needs here, we’ve brought our best people: Lieutenant Yellir is our chief engineer, Lieutenant Osuna is our Chief of Security, and Ensign Jones is our medical officer.

Jones: ::to Dari:: Willing to assist wherever you need, sir.

Yellir: Response

Osuna: Our priority is helping the local authorities with their recovery efforts.

Dari: response

TAG/TBC

==

Lt. Gabriel Osuna (he/him)