Lieutenant Hallia Yellir - A Bad Feeling

Ryan Fender

Apr 14, 2024, 12:12:37 PMApr 14
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Sickbay, Deck 07 — USS Artemis-A))

Yellir: Oh, Ensign Sadar, it's good to see you!

Hallia gave a quick wave as she entered sickbay, signalling for Sadar to be at ease

Sadar: Yes! ::pause as realization sets in:: Wait, huh?

The Yelikan’s posture was rather lax, she had reached a hand to her head, twirling a loose strand of hair around her finger. She looked around the room— at first, figuring it wasn’t too busy. But a realization had suddenly struck her at the presence of Sadar’s confusion.

She never made a formal appointment.

Sadar: Uhm- I mean, that’s… L-Lieutenant Yellir! Wh-What can I do for you?

Yellir: If it's not too busy here already— I was wondering if I could get a once over? I haven’t been for a physical since my last promotion ::chuckling::.

Sadar: ::clears throat:: I, uh, yes, o-of course. Sit on a biobed, a-and I’ll get right to you… ::remembers her manners:: Uh, please.

Hallia nodded, before plopping herself on a biobed. She reached to roll up her sleeve, only to freeze mid-motion as it fell to its full length. There was an instinctive grasp at her own hand as she traced the ghost of a wound that ran itself down her palm. A long nail trailed against the wrinkle in her palm, pressing and pushing against the skin as if looking for a tender spot.

 She watched as Sadar moved towards the trolley of medical implements, and she couldn’t help but look over the Mizarian’s shoulder. It had been quite some time since Hallia had been here— so part of her was interested in just what was being grabbed. But as her eyes moved to her back, there was a tenseness in the shoulders, but the Yelikan simply saw it as anxiety, to which Hallia found herself empathizing towards.

Sadar: S-So, Lieutenant, any specific health concerns? Between being held hostage in Main Engineering, retaking the Artemis from Jem’Hadar and getting into a firefight with a Betazed warship, you’ve seen a lot of ::hesistant pause:: conflict in the recent past. Must’ve been… An overwhelming couple of months…

Almost as if trying to get another angle on the medical officer, Hallia’s head very briefly tilted to the side.

Yellir: I appreciate the concern— but my cortisol levels are thankfully normal. With the coolant leak finally prepared,

Sadar: Of course, but even if the events didn’t take place in this reality, the memories and experiences could be enough to trigger psychosomatic symptoms. Phantom pains, nightmares… Loss of memory.

The Yelikan grimaced as she leaned back on her hands and moments passed as Hallia’s mind was cast backwards. At first — she couldn’t think of anything, but something did cross her mind, she remembered it clear as daylight.

The first thing she remembered was a feeling, a shiver that slowly tapped at her spine as a sound came to mind. The beating wings of a common housefly, a noise that cascaded into one deafening wall of buzzing that didn’t seem to go away. Everything else was a blur but the numbing cold of that room stuck firmly in her mind— as well as the writhing shadows that ate away at the room.

Hallia fought off the urge to shake, only to fold before it.

Yellir: More or less fine… but after the incident in Engineering there was a.. recurring nightmare that I ran into for a while.

Sadar: Oh… I-I’m, uhh, pleased to hear that, Sir… ::awkward pause:: I-I’ll start with a neurological scan. It’s not yet ascertained whether time travel or dimension-hopping has a specific effect on the neurological health of species living on linear time, but… Never be too careful.

Yellir: Do you think it could be something like sensory aphasia, Doctor? There are some cases of time travel causing brain damage — do you think that might be a symptom?

Sadar: Response?

Yellir: In moments such as these, I defer to your professional opinion.

Part of her began to feel ill— she had hardly even been able to mention her proximity to a coolant leak.

Sadar: Response?

TAG/TBC

Lieutenant Hallia Yellir

Chief Engineer