Lt. Silveira: If only…

btv....@sapo.pt

Apr 9, 2024, 4:07:31 PMApr 9
to sb118-artemis
((USS Artemis, deck 3, Arboretum))

Vitor shook and waved his hands around, startled by the pressure on his shoulder.

A little girl, about eight or nine, took a few steps away from him, apparently scared as he blinked and tried to get his bearings. He raised his hands.

Silveira: I am sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

The girl looked at him suspiciously.

Little Girl: Are you alright Mister? I know grown-ups take naps, my Daddy does it on the couch. Why are you napping outside? I know it's cool. I also napped here when I was little. ::she raised her little finger to his face.:: Were you crying? Are you sad? ::She walked closer.:: What is that? Why are you leaning there? ::she pointed to the necklace:: Is that pretty necklace yours?

Vitor blinked surprised at the flood of questions from the little girl.
He rubbed his face, and managed to suppress a yawn.

Silveira: Did anyone ever told you that you ask too many questions?

She smiled proudly and sat down in front of him, crossing her legs.

Little Girl: All the time. That means I am curious. At least that's what Daddy says. Mommy tells me that I speak too much, that I take that after my Daddy. He says I have the smarts of Mommy and Auntie. I don't look like my Big Brother but that is because he has a different Mommy. She's very nice and tall and beautiful. I love my Big Brother, he plays with me all the time. He's very smart too, one day he will work on the ship as well, like Mommy and Daddy and Auntie.

Vitor looked more attentively at her. She had light brown hair, and deep blue eyes. Something in her nose and lips looked familiar. From what she said her family was part of the crew, maybe he had seen her parents.

Silveira: So, your parents are part of the crew?

Little Girl: Yes, Mommy and Auntie work together in…

She was cut short by someone shouting Jo. And then Johanna.
She giggled mischievously and got closer to Vitor, whispering before he could react.

Little Girl: I am playing hide and seek with my Big Brother. My Daddy keeps telling that I make a cat shoe of him. But he never explained what that means. He just laughs when I ask. Mommy says it's one of his things.

Vitor looked surprised at her, that was a Portuguese expression, and he was fairly certain that it wasn't of common use.

Silveira: How?... Where are your parents from?

She peeked behind Jo's headstone, but then smiled proudly at him.

Little Girl: My Daddy is from Earth but my Mommy is from another Universe.

Vitor jolted back, surprised by her reply, hitting the tombstone with his head.
The sharp pain made him wince and he blinked confused.

Shaking his head he looked around. He was confused and Johanna was nowhere to be seen. He blinked several times.

There was no one around him and he reached the only conclusion.

Silveira: It was just a dream…

He stood up slowly, leaning on Jo's tombstone.

Silveira: If only…

End scene for Sil

Lt. Vitor S. Silveira
Chief Tactical Officer