Lt. Silveira: Prank and praise.

btv.abreu

Aug 23, 2023, 4:10:19 PM8/23/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((USS Artemis, deck 8, Chief Tactical Officer Office))

Vitor had called Nan to his office. Although they have worked together, they weren’t exactly close, but the young Edo officer had grown quite a bit, and he wanted her to realize that.

Also he was going to tease her, ence he looked at her with forced discain as she walked to the front of his desk. Swirling his chair to be in front of her, he crossed his hands and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. Vitor deliberately didn’t offer her a seat and was curious to what was going on in Jovenan’s mind.

Silveira: Lieutenant, I will go straight to the point. I am certain you might not like what I am about to say, but I, as Chief Tactical Officer, can't let this go unnoticed.

Jovenan: What is it, sir?

He stood up slowly and dramatically. Towering slightly over her, with a desk in the middle he stared at her.

Silveira: I am truly very proud of you. You are one of the best officers I ever served with. And an example to follow. ::He raised his finger as if to add a point.:: Correction your an example I follow. Very well done.

Jovenan: ::confused, blinking fast:: I… Excuse me… sir?

It worked. Nan was visibly disconcerted by his words. He resisted the urge to point at her and shout "Gotcha" as he laughed.
He simply smiled.

Silveira: I mean that as a praise Lieutenant.

Nan eased down slightly, but Vitor could see that either his words hadn't sink yet or she was so caught of guard she really didn't know what to say.

Jovenan: Thank you for the, uh, compliment, sir, but I’m not entirely sure what I have done to deserve it.

Vitor smiled and gestured for her to take a seat.

Silveira: Please take a seat. That deserves a two part answer.

He waited until Nan sat down, sitting in front of her, as he leaned back.

Silveira: First you have served with me long enough to know I am a jester. Eventually I would end up pulling your leg, it ended up being today. ::He raised an eyebrow, considering it was better he rephrased that.:: That's figuratively of course. There isn’t anything wrong with your legs, quite the opposite, but that human expression is used when we are teasing someone. ::he shrugged and winked.:: I am the Artemis buffoon and you, like any of the others, are just cursed to
have me around. But hey… Feel free to prank me back to get even.

It was only after he spoke that Vitor realized he could have overstepped in his jest.
Like with Mizarian culture, his knowledge about Edo was minimal. But he recalled they had some strict principles.

Jovenan: response

Vitor raised an eyebrow, but kept his grin.
He had to admit he didn't expect that reply, and it made him look at Nan with different eyes. In a way it almost scared him.

Which made her look even more cool.
Obviously he "pushed the envelope".

Silveira: Interesting. ::he gave her a mischievous wink.:: Maybe you should try that. ::He leaned forward slightly:: Now on a more serious note, since I had the chance to work with you, I have seen how you become a fine officer. Back in the Da'al homeworld you took action when needed, once on the ship you were always ready to comply, and when all Hell broke loose you took charge. It was a good performance and I thank you for that. In our last mission you were always on your toes when we were on the bridge and::he pointed to the PADD pile:: after reading the reports I know you worked on different stations. Even my own, and I have to say you did good.

Jovenan: response

Vitor tipped his head. He leaned back and thought before speaking, something he was slowly getting the hang of it.

Silveira: You know the expression “insight is flawless”? If you had performed one hundred percent on a mission I wouldn’t be giving you praise, I would be reporting you. I believe in perfect moments, perfect timing, perfect situations, but in general perfection is, as the poet said, “not for the mortals, but for the Gods”. I made countless mistakes on both missions, but in the general balance of things, which is what matters, we pulled it off. And it’s from them that I learned. And I have been doing this much longer than you.
Don’t think less of yourself, and don’t make me pull rank and order you to.

He paused, for a second he hesitated to continue, wondering if he was looking too condescending. Vitor fought to find the words, so he just kept it simple in the hope he was able to convey his message properly.

Silveira: Look Nan, I have seen you grow in the face of adversity. And grow in the right direction. I am not saying you didn’t make a mistake, that you could have acted differently. But in the split second you made the right choices. That is why I think of you as a good example.

He smiled at her and for a split second almost added “And a good victim for my pranks”.
But he managed to censor that last part.

Jovenan: response

TAG/TBC

Lt. Vitor S. Silveira
Chief Tactical Officer