LtJG Jovenan & PNPC Dr Tevet Elain – Dog parks in space

Jovenan

Jan 15, 2024, 3:25:08 PMJan 15
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Vets N Co, Dekoa, Betazed))

The two strong-willed doctors didn’t seem to buckle. Jovenan watched from the side as both Doctor Adea, er, Genkos, and his childhood friend, Doctor Elain, were engaged in what looked like an intense staring competition. She had tried to help Genkos convincing the vet that the Artemis was a safe space for pets, but she wasn’t certain if that had made any difference. However, Doctor Elain suddenly relented.

Elain: Very well then. Besides removing the stressing factors ::side-eyes:: much can be done to help ward off stress and anxiety. Can you describe Toto’s living environment? How large is your apartment, is it noisy, are there any other animals, ::smirks:: children, that sort of things.

Despite being the only non-empath in the room, Jovenan felt the tensions disappearing as they both smirked at each other.

Adea: My quarters are pretty large, he has his own corner complete with everything he might need. Apart from myself, nobody else really goes in there. Definitely not other animals, and certainly not children. ::his brows knitted together in a frown for a moment:: In fact, I’m not even sure if we have any children on the Artemis… ::he shot Jovenan a wink:: Vitor, maybe?

Jovenan laughed a little. Lt Silveira, er, Vitor had pulled a prank on her during the previous shore leave, and if one were to play childish games, one should expect to be called one. Still, Jovenan worried going any further might be unnecessarily cruel to the man how mourned the lost of his romantic interest. When Doctor Elain placed her tricorder on the table and smiled, Jovenan was certain the confrontation had been averted.

Elain: I see. How about exercise, do you go for walks or running? I don’t know much about starships, but I doubt there aren’t many parks to choose from aboard.

Genkos looked down to his cane. Tevet knew what was on his mind. There was no particular reason why a dog couldn’t have a happy life with someone who couldn’t run, but physical exercise beyond only slow walks was highly beneficial for dogs. In matter of facts, it was beneficial for almost all lifeforms, personal circumstances considered. She didn’t know how much Genkos’ mobility was hindered, but she felt pity to him, which she was certain he wouldn’t appreciate.

Adea: I don’t go for runs, but we do take long walks in the Arboretum and the holodeck. I can assure you, he’s probably one of the most well-travelled dogs in history.

Tevet hadn’t spent much time – scrap that, any time on a proper starship, and she hadn’t considered the possibility that they might actually have parks on them. How big are they again?

Jovenan: I could also take him running with me in the Fitness Centre sometimes. I’m going there anyway, and I wouldn’t mind a running partner. ::look to Adea:: If that’s okay, of course.

And running tracks. Tevet had to admit, her perception of the starships might have been somewhat warped. Not to mention what seemed like a community of friends willing to come along to a vet for moral support and offer to run with their dogs. Or at least one person.

Adea: That would be really very nice of you - I am certain Toto would like that, ::he rubbed the dog’s head:: Wouldn’t you, boy?

Toto: Yap!

Jovenan: That sounds like a yes!

Jovenan stroke Toto’s side gently. Her old community back on the homeworld had a few animals as pets, but no dogs. The more she learnt about them, the more she was convinced they were the best possible Edo pets; you could go run with them, they could be taught to follow laws, they worshipped their community. The other common species of pets, the cats, might have been cuter, but the uncanny resemblance to Caitians unnerved her.

Genkos grinned and clapped his hands together.

Adea: Is there anything else we can arrange?

Elain: For all that I can see, Toto is being taken good care. I don’t know how often your ship runs into emergencies or battles or what you call them, but you might consider trying to make your apartment appear safer for Toto at those times. Soundproofing or white noise, or maybe certain calming pheromones. But otherwise, I’m recommending doing as you’ve done so far.

Adea: Response

Tevet wrote a few lines to her PADD before putting it back onto the table. Genkos and his friend had come asking just for a regular check-up for Toto, and since nothing was wrong with him, she had no reason to keep them here any longer.

Elain: Well then, I think we’re done with Toto. He can come down from the table now. ::looks at Adea and Jovenan:: What are you going to do next? Are you planning to tour the town or just return to the ship?

Adea: Response

Elain: ::looks at Adea:: I have a few more patients, but after that I’m free if you want to chat and catch up. Or tell embarrassing childhood memories of each other to your friend. ::smirks, tilts head towards Jovenan::

Jovenan stopped petting Toto, back on their feet again. As much as she wanted to hear more about Doct… Genkos’ past and about Doctor Elain, but she worried the two might regard her as a third wheel. Or did they? It was a social concept Jovenan didn’t always understand.

Jovenan: I, uh, can go ahead to the ship if you would rather…

Adea: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Doctor Tevet Elain