PNPC Crewman Jozial Renirs – Do I have to come if I don't wanna?

Jovenan

Apr 8, 2024, 5:27:13 AMApr 8
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Main Shuttlebay, Deck 11, USS Artemis))

The Supervising Petty Officer really hated her.

They knew exactly what they were doing in sending Jozial to some boring nerd mission. Ooh, you have to develop your boring nerd skills with the boring nerd officers so you can do boring nerd stuff. It was all big hogwash, and Jozial knew it.

The Supervising Petty Officer just wanted someone to babysit her so she wouldn’t run off mid-duty to commit shenanigans with the local Ferengi.

Eh, beats fixing lights the whole shore leave. She had been made do that full-time ever since she had had the audacity to save the ship from first the intruders in the Jefferies tubes and then the pirates. It was not her fault that Gabe couldn’t take a beating like a champ. And let’s not even talk about the treatment she received after saving a Kader who had been turned into Swiss cheese by the attacking alties!

The officer who was supposed to meet her by the shuttlebay entrance wasn’t there. Typical officer, ditching their post and blaming the crewmen on “being late” and “not showing up”. Well, if you want me to be on time, then stop showing up so early!

They hadn’t (sadly) abandoned her entirely, as Jozial could track the boss nerd and her team loading up the shuttle. It was a pretty fly wagon, she had to admit, so maybe the Poindexter-in-chief wasn’t such a cheap and bland granny who crocheted her own uniform after all.

Renirs: Sup.

Jovenan: Oh, hello! Here’s your tricorder, others are getting ready to leave so let’s not waste time!

Okay, not a granny, but definitely the student council president type… who demanded using coasters in a bar… she had crocheted the coasters herself.

Jozial looked at each of the team members. The bookworm queen was an airhead blondie (not her type), but the others were certainly a more colourful bunch. There was a Vulcan, Starfleet-model (the worst type of Vulcan), a drowned Victorian kid who had been brought back to life by an excentric scientist, and a robo blob. Each of them with a single pip. Great, recent Academy brainwashees. Ensigns made the worst officers, besides any rank with hollow pips. Gee, we get it, you’re an Lt Lieutenant now! Hold tight of that half a pip, or it will fall, and so will your authority.

Savel: Lieutenant, how long do you anticipate this training exercise will keep us on Bajor?

Jovenan: Um, some hours probably. Plus the travel time. We’ll have lunch on the surface, but we’ll be back on the Artemis before dinner time.

Uaargh, why!? Couldn’t she go with another shuttle and leave early if she finished to job early?

Savel: Very well, I believe I am ready to depart whenever the rest of the team is sufficiently prepared.

Gnai: Ready sir, as well.

Chevalier: Ready too, lieutenant.

Renirs: Let’s just go.

The Don of the Brainiac Mafia smiled excitedly. It annoyed Renirs unreasonably. She was definitely one of those kids who asked the teacher for more homework.

Jovenan: Okay then, let’s get the ramp up and prepare for take-off! Seats, everyone!

God I swear, if we’re going to be singing the entire way down I’m gonna punch the pretty teeth out of your mouth!

The team boarded the shuttle, and the door shut behind them. Jozial dropped her stuff in middle of the floor and followed the officers to the cockpit. If they’re gonna be stuck in this thing for a few hours, she was better getting the shotgun seat anyway. On her way, she noticed that the Wanna-Be-Ex-Borg and the tentacle tank were chatting.

Gnai: It is good to meet you, this ::with a gesture to itself:: is Ensign Gnai, science officer. Your name is...?

Chevalier: Nice to meet you, Gnai, ensign and science officer. Welcome onboard. This ::mimics Gnai's gesture:: is Ensign Jaseb Chevalier, operations officer.

Gnai: Fantastic! It is good to meet you, apologies for not making contact sooner.

Chevalier: No issue here, Gnai. Perhaps you could leave a sticky note with a message next time. But don’t worry. To be fair, I could also leave a note along with a small welcome gift to make the space more inviting for you. So please remind me to give you that present when we return as I'm afraid it might have collected some dust already.

Oh Kahless, they even talked like that.

Savel/Gnai: Response

Jozial sat down where there was room, while the officers took charge of launching their chariots.

Flight control: =/\= Kerynitis, you’re cleared for take-off. =/\=

Jovenan: =/\= Acknowledged, Artemis. Have a nice day. Kerynitis out. =/\= ::to Savel:: Okay, let’s get off the bay and set course for Bajor.

Savel/Gnai/Chevalier: Response

The shuttle rose from the ground and departed. She looked through the window as they moved further away from the Cardi Station. It was famous for the weird and crazy stuff going in there, but would Jozial be spending her shore leave there? No, of course not, she would be counting caterpillars or measuring the amount of humanoid waste in sewage or reading books, she didn’t actually know what scientists do, she spent her science classes selling lemonade as alcohol to kids and watching them pretending to be drunk.

After a while, the Geek Supreme spoke to them again.

Jovenan: Okay, here’s what were going to be doing today. ::inhale:: Rakantha Province used to be one of Bajor’s top agricultural regions, however during the Occupation, the Cardassians poisoned the soil. After their departure, the Bajoran Government has used soil reclamators to restore the ground. The efforts have been delayed several times, and there are still large wilderness areas that are considered too toxic for farming. Scenario: Starfleet has ordered the Artemis to assist the Bajorans in detoxifying efforts. We’ve been sent to analyse the soil and water to see how bad the situation is.

Poison? Jozial perked up.

Renirs: Soo… Will the poison affect us, or is it just that we shouldn’t eat dirt if we get hungry?

Savel/Gnai/Chevalier: Response

Jozial rolled her eyes. It was a valid question. You never knew if it was safe to make others bite the dust on a weird planet.

Jovenan: You will be working in pairs. Savel and Chevalier, your task is to take ground samples and analyse them in situ. Try to take as many readings as you can, but each sample have to be taken at least 250 metres from each other.

Oh, boo. Jozial had noticed that the guys were bearing phasers with them, and if people had those for a field trip, you knew they were going to be doing weird stuff. But she wouldn’t be joining either of them.

Savel/Chevalier: Response

Jovenan: Gnai, Renirs, you will be investigating the quality of the water in the local river. It’s a tributary to a larger river, where elevated levels of the toxins have been detected. It’s possible there’s a leaking toxin canister somewhere, so investigate any anomalies you might find.

So, she and the mellow jello would indeed be measuring how much waste there was in sewage, just a bit of a different kind of waste she had been thinking of. Nasty job they were given, either way.

Gnai: Response

Renirs: K.

Jovenan: I’ll be monitoring your progress. I’ll try to spend time with both pairs, but if you need me, you can contact me at any time ::points at combadge:: Questions?

Savel/Gnai/Chevalier: Response

Renirs: Do we, like, carry the water with us or do we just let it go free after checking it’s okay?

Jovenan: Response

((OOC: Open to backsimming if there’s more conversation needed here!))

((Rakantha Province, Bajor))

The shuttle flew over the remote bit of wilderness the Princess Straight-A had chosen for them. Through the window, Jozial could see nothing but dry grass and seemingly dead trees surrounded by big, rocky boulders and unpleasant hills, all around a pitiful stream pretending to be a river. Jozial’s home district had little nature except the gardens around McMansions (like the one her parents had), but even the hyper-urbanized jungle seemed more inviting than that.

Renirs: Not the prettiest gardens they’ve got there, huh?

Savel/Gnai/Chevalier/Jovenan: Response

The shuttle landed, and the back door opened. Jozial stretched her back exaggeratedly in protest of being forced to spend any time in a tuna can, no matter how spacious, before joining her partner for the trip.

Renirs: So, hi, yeah. ::pause:: That’s a pretty awesome suit. Does it have any guns?

Gnai: Response

Savel/Chevalier/Jovenan: Response

TAG/TBC
----