MSNPC Jiah Kleebohn - Tremors of a New Sort

notyourfrog

Mar 8, 2023, 10:38:47 AM3/8/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Palace of Culture, Tecra, Meranuge IV))

Well, now Jiah was in it. A month ago, she'd had a comfortably unassuming job, reporting updates from her team to various scenarios - mostly dealing with draught, aquifer shift causing landslides, or some localized epidemic or another. She would not have believed anyone who'd told her than she would now be facing a group of offworld Starfleet personnel, coordinating the response to a meteorite decimating half of one of the most politically significant cities in Da'al society. She would have thought that same imaginary informant completely out of their mind if they'd told her she would be the one in charge.

Adea: I can understand that. ::he pointed to his team with a wave of the hand:: This is Lieutenant Silveira, our Tactical Officer, and our Science team, Ensigns Kag and Jovenan. Where would you like us to begin?

Silveira: Thank you for the welcome. That is what we are here for.

Jovenan: I hope we can be of assistance.

Kag: Response

Jiah gave the officers a brief, stationary tour of the area.

Kleebohn: Over there is our triage centre. ::pointing at the tent-like structure next to it:: Next is our seismic monitoring outpost. We have teams at five points around the crater keeping tabs on the aquifer network's stability. ::finally waving almost absentmindedly behind her:: And my office. This is the processing centre. We're trying our best to keep good records, but things have been more like treading water than sailing, I'm afraid.

Adea: Well we are here to help; hopefully we can get you ship shape in no time.

Silveira: We wish to make ourselves useful in any way we can.

Kag: Response

One of the officers, the fair-skinned blonde one, pulled out a scanning device and began taking readings. Jiah was simultaneously impressed by the pretty girl's initiative and annoyed at the insinuation that if there was something hazardous, they wouldn't have been told immediately.

Jovenan: Sir, the composition and amount of dust is not threatening to our teams, there’s nothing we can’t treat on board the ship afterwards. The masks are not necessary, although they might be more comfortable to breath in… and the locals might benefit of clearer air, with the longer exposure they have. The UV levels aren’t as much a problem, although I’d recommend avoiding getting sunburnt. Otherwise, I don’t see any immediate threat to us. ::pause, turn to Kleebohn:: Apologies, ma’am. With different physiologies, we need to be sure the planet is safe for us as well.

oO They're here to help. They're here to help. Oo

Silveira: You do have enough on your hands Miss Kleebohn.

Jiah cleared her throat. She certainly did have enough to deal with. The encounter with Mr. Yalavvi and his damned blueprints had made her feel like she needed to assert her position, and now these Federation offworlders were double-checking her work.

Kleebohn: You're not wrong, Mister ... Silveira was it? There is a lot to do. Shall we get to the tasks that actually need our attention then?

Kag: Responses

Silveira: What shall we prioritise?

Adea: I think we should head over to the triage sector to get an idea of what we’re dealing with here.

Jovenan/Kag: Responses

Kleebohn: Sure. oO Or I could just tell you what we're dealing with here. Oo Right this way.

The big one, Silveira, was rolling up his sleeves. At least they were willing to work. Jiah took a breath to calm herself as they walked toward the triage center. The result however, was a fresh batch of dust in her nose. This was less than calming.

Silveira: Well Commander, Ensigns, Miss Kleebohn, where do we start?

A Da'al male Jiah had not seen before had just approached the group. Her growing irritation and sense that what tenuous grip she had on the situation was slipping made her snap at the newcomer. He didn't look like one of the survivors, and was certianly not part of her team.

Kleebohn: This area is currently off limits. You need to-

Tornahd: Response

Jovenan/Kag/Silveira: Responses

She couldn't even finish a sentence? Officially annoyed, she opened her mouth to again tell the newcomer to piss off, but Starfleet got the first word.

Adea: Sorry, and you are?

Tornahd: Response

Kleebohn: I don't care who you are. You're not. supposed. to be. here.

Jovenan/Kag/Silveira: Responses

Back in the command tent, Jiah could hear Utrior still being loudly lectured about the blueprints that were apparently, "worth more than you make in ten years." She pinched the bridge of her nose. How had this day gone from catastrophically bad to kill-me-now so quickly?

Kleebohn: ::muttering:: I can't deal with this too. ::to the group:: If you'll excuse me a moment, I have to deal with something. I'll return in a moment ::to Tornahd:: at which time, you had better be somewhere else.

Tornahd/Adea/Jovenan/Sileira/Kag: Responses

Jiah turned on her heel and speed-walked back to the tent where a wide-eyed Utrior was being berated by a man who (though his entire world had been up-ended) still thought himself kind of a big deal. She stepped between her subordinate and his verbal attacker and vented her frustrations.

Kleebohn: LOOK, Mr. I'm-a-bigshot, you are not in any position to be demanding anything of me or my team. You are lucky to be alive. You are lucky your family survived. There are thousands of people who were not so lucky. "Our strength lies in unity." Isn't that what the writings say? You. ::poking him in the chest with her finger:: are ::poke:: not ::poking:: cooperating!

With the final emphatic poke, Jiah felt the power tingle between her collar bones just before the digit made contact with Yalavvi's chest. The architect had flinched with each previous poke, but at this last, he was knocked back a full meter. Jiah looked down at the man, now sitting in the dust. What just happened? The Shu'Da'al was something every Da'al could use, but it took training and conscious effort. It wasn't supposed to just ... happen. It was also written that it was never to be used against another. Jiah was noticeably shaken.

Kleebohn: ::hoping the incident had gone unnoticed by her team:: Mr. Utrior, take this man and his family to ... whatever unit I said before.

Jiah flexed her shaking hand, making and releasing a fist, as she walked back to the Federation group. She was dismayed to see Tornahd was still with them.

TAG/TBC

Jiah Kleebohn
Da'al Disaster Response Coordinator

MSNPC simmed by: