Commander Addison MacKenzie - Impact

Addison MacKenzie

Feb 19, 2023, 3:44:58 PM2/19/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC: This sim will officially mark the launch of our next mission. As mentioned in my OOC email, please feel free to wrap up any scenes already in progress by using the tag [Backsim] so we can distinguish between mission- and non-mission-related posts.)

(( Captain’s Ready Room – USS Artemis ))

((Time Index: One week into service))

//

Captain’s Log, Stardate 240002.19

I think the crew has adjusted to their reassignment as well as can be expected. The members of the senior staff have started learning more about the staff that serve under them, the new changes in systems that come with serving on a newly refit Luna-class ship in opposition to the massive Vesta-class they’re used to, and the adjustment in leadership expectations one might expect with a new person sitting in the center chair. While I’m not new to any of them, I am certainly aware of the standards to which I will be measured, of which Commodore Nicholotti set a very high bar.

Of my new command, I can only say this: while the Borderlands is a campaign region familiar to many of us, some have served here for years, after all, the region is entering a period of instability and I think we’re all a little on edge being assigned to a vessel that lacks the imposing power of the Excalibur. However, knowing that we have an experienced crew who knows the area and each other well makes me believe that they are up for whatever challenge Starfleet sends our way.

…That, and I’m glad the lumbar support in the command chair of the Artemis is better than the one on the Excalibur – I constantly felt like I had to push myself up and out of the thing every time I had to stand up.

True to form, we’ve barely had the opportunity for a shakedown cruise to get to know the Artemis and Starfleet has sent us on assignment back to the Da’al homeworld. The Da’al are a race with which we first came into contact several years ago back when this crew was first assigned to the Resolution. They are a peaceful, non-confrontational race who narrowly escaped a coup attempt in 2397, and the provisional government has since engaged the slow process of establishing peaceful relations with the Federation despite originally intending to maintain their neutrality. In the brief time I spent on their planet, I found them to be a people of resolve, with high aspirations and noble intentions.

The Da’al government has asked Starfleet for assistance after a meteor of significant size struck its southern hemisphere in the city of Tecra. While being a warp-capable species classified as level K on the Planetary Development Scale, they do not have the capacity to provide medical and logistical support for the mass number of fatalities and destruction they currently face. The Artemis has been dispatched to render aid.

End log.

\\

Addison sat at her desk tapping a stylus nervously on the desktop as she looked over the latest reports from the Da’al homeworld – significant damage to a large portion of the Provincial Capital, and the latest estimates are approximately 10,000 people dead. The implications were sure to be far reaching – everything from significant disruptions to energy and transportation systems, a total overrun of hospital systems, and significant pressure on governmental leaders to keep order.

When she heard the door chime, she closed her eyes, exhaled audibly through her mouth, and set the stylus down.

MacKenzie: Come in.

The doors whooshed open revealing her two senior-most officers: Commander Genkos Adea and Lieutenant Commander Yogan Yalu. Adea looked different in red (dare she say the color suited him?), but they both looked different in their own ways – older, maybe? Perhaps it just had something to do with the change in uniform styles.

As they walked further into the ready room, she gestured to the chairs on the opposite side of her desk.

MacKenzie: Gentlemen, have a seat. I assume that you and the other members of the senior staff are adjusting to the Artemis?

Adea/Yalu: Response

She offered a somber smile and nodded.

MacKenzie: Good – we’re about to be put to our first test. The Da’al have requested our help. A massive meteor struck its southern hemisphere in the city of Tecra and caused significant damage to much of the city.

Adea/Yalu: Responses

She grimaced, folding her hands in her lap.

MacKenzie: Current estimates are approximately 10,000 dead with the number expected to rise significantly. Medical staff completely overwhelmed. Disruption to energy and transportation throughout the city. I’d be surprised if the provisional government is able to keep it together…

Adea/Yalu: Responses

Addison couldn’t help but sigh.

MacKenzie: They are begrudgingly asking for our help – it’s very clear that they’d rather do this on their own, but can’t. We have approximately four hours until we arrive. In that time you need to prep your teams on everything they need to know about the Da’al and get them ready for their respective duties. ::She paused, her gaze shifting between them.:: Commander Adea, you’ll take Lieutenant Silveira and Ensigns Jovenan and Kag. You’re to head to the Palace of Culture in the Provincial Capital and render aid. It’s been converted to a makeshift triage center, so help however you can… however they’ll let you. Medical assistance, supplies… hell, I don’t care if they’ll only let you hand out food to those who need it. Do what you can.

Adea: Response

MacKenzie: Commander Yalu, you’ll take Lieutenants Yellir and Osuna, and Doctor Jones. You’re to head to the impact crater and try to mitigate the infrastructural damage. From what I can tell, it sounds like you’re going to have your hands full.

Yalu: Response

MacKenzie: I’ll take Lieutenants Sydin and Dakora to meet with the Da’al interim external relations minister in the hopes we can make our presence a little more… palatable.

She exhaled again before leaning forward, resting her hands on the desktop.

MacKenzie: What questions do you have for me?

Adea/Yalu: Responses

She nodded firmly.

MacKenzie: Good luck, gentlemen.

Addison watched the two officers make their way out of the ready room, marching orders in hand. As they left, she nodded to herself – they were two of the most capable officers with which she’d ever served, and if there were two people she trusted not to make a further mess out of the situation, it was them.

Her eyes drifted back to the display on her computer once more before she activated the comms.

MacKenzie: =/\= MacKenzie to Dakora and Sydin. Report to my ready room. =/\=

Tag, and TBC!

---

Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS
Commanding Officer
USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Magistrate

V239601AM0