Ens Chevalier - Nostrae animae

CPT Arianus

Mar 29, 2024, 11:06:53 PMMar 29
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Bridge, USS Artemis-A, “Present Day” ))

The USS Artemis was embraced by nebula clouds that wrapped around her hull like a warm, loving mother. Artemis disappeared from the eyes and sensors of anyone who could track her, and as she became invisible, she also became blind.

Chevalier: We are currently experiencing a loss of sensor readings for distances greater than 100 feet. SCI, we need to increase the dispersion to 500 microns to navigate through the nebula.

Jaseb looked towards Yellir, hoping to receive assurance, advice, an answer, or anything that could help in the situation. Lieutenant stared at Commander Adea briefly and nodded, their silent exchange known only to the two of them.

Adea: Always a first time for a win, Lieutenant. See what you can find.

Kel: Response

Yellir: I’m going to try to route our scanner array through our main deflector. That’ll clear up some of the interference but not by much.

Jaseb nodded in response. It may not have been much, but every little bit helps.

Chevalier: Aye, ma’am. Helm, prepare for updated charts and routing.

Kel: Response

The lieutenant utilized deflector magic to enhance sensor clarity, allowing Jaseb to react more effectively to plasma bursts amidst turbulent nebula gases as the ship's course was modified to align with updated charting information. The console in front of him displayed a wealth of data, and from what he could see, everything seemed to be running smoothly. So far, so good.

Yellir: Doctor, are they going to be able to locate us using their telepathy?

oO It seems like the plan to escape didn't work out that well, right, Jaseb? Oo

Jaseb's forehead creased with worry as he heard the lieutenant's question. He knew that answering it would be critical in evaluating their current situation, but only Commander Adea held the information that could provide a definitive answer. Jaseb couldn't help but wonder how much the commander had shared with the rest of the team. Despite his reservations, Jaseb knew that he needed to come up with some sort of response, even if it was only a partial one.

Adea: It’s a possibility. They probably wouldn’t be able to locate us with any degree of certainty - just a vague “there are some minds in that direction” but it is more than we are currently able to do.

Jaseb stood there, deep in thought. His eyes were fixed on the ground as he bit his lips, contemplating whether he should share his proposal or keep it to himself. He knew that his idea could increase their chances of success, but at the same time, he was aware that it fell into a morally ambiguous area.

Yellir/Kel: Response

Adea: I know we don’t have much power to play with here, but is there a way to alter the shield frequency to block the psionic field? I seem to remember reading Voyager doing something similar once.

Jaseb looked at the commander and then at Yellir, took a deep breath, and spoke.

Chevalier: ::uncertain in voice:: Or we could send Ganzfeld frequency pulse through our comms array, sir.

When he heard the words, he knew that he had opened Pandora's Box. He was already familiar with the thing itself, as his people had used it before against “psychics” - the name they used to call telepaths. However, it was during his Intelligence classes in the Academy, as part of his PsyOps training, that he learned the official name for it. Painless practice to "blind" telepaths through the white noise. Something like "dog ultrasound whistle". Nothing that would kill anyone, but it wasn't pleasant either.

Chevalier: We would need to repolarize the hull and erect a force field around the cetacean ops to protect… ::looking at Adea, pause for a moment as if searching for the right words.:: …our crew, but it will work…

Adea/Yellir/Kel: Response

TAG/TBC

--
Ensign Jaseb Chevalier