Ens. Gnai - Somehow, Even Worse!

Lich

Mar 30, 2024, 11:24:51 PMMar 30
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Inmate Detention Wing – The Following Morning))

Waking up here had been a disappointment. Gnai had hoped that this had been all a bad dream, but unfortunately even waking up from its already bad dreams just cemented the circumstances that it found itself in as real. The force field, the drab and bare cell that hosted only the barest humanoid essentials - clearly unprepared, unknowing, or uncaring about Galadoran needs - all of it was disheartening.

As it sat and tapped on the wall that separated it from Lt. Cmdr. Salkath, Gnai was glad to see its observations validated. Finally, it was doing something properly. All this chaos right out of the gate had shaken its confidence, and hearing that a superior officer was also startled by the mission made it feel somewhat better. With luck, he was right about these being exceptional circumstances.

Gnai: Perhaps this installation is more haphazard than anticipated, if they are using a composite instead of pure duranium, or an alloy?

Salkath: Fascinating. Ensign Savel has already surmised that the behaviors of these captors are not of a sufficiently high caliber for this size of penitentiary. If they do not have access to standard Federation building materials and techniques, it only bolsters his assertions that everything is... not right.

Before Gnai could reply further about how it was certain of their captor's inexperience, the captain's voice rang out across the corridor. At the sound, Gnai stood back up, trying to seem more composed than it was feeling. Better put one's best tendril forward, anyhow.

MacKenzie: Commander, Ensign Gnai, are you awake?

Salkath: Aye sir. We were discussing observations that may come into use later on.

Hearing that its observations might be useful later did lift its spirits just a tad further as well. Certainly, the observation of the structure's composition wasn't going to be what saved them, but if it helped at all along the way... that was certainly something to be proud of.

Gnai: Yes, sir!

Savel: If we are fortunate, they will keep us together.

With that, light flooded the cells, as harsh as it had been the day before. There was no mistaking it for sunlight, as harsh and artificial as it was. Yet another method of keeping the prisoners in sour moods, Gnai assumed. The boots of the guards thudded down the floor, passing by prisoners who were mercifully silent this morning, no jeers to the Starfleet officers about how loud their conversation was.

MacKenzie: No matter what, pay attention to every detail – the work you do, the people you interact with. They could all be clues…

Savel: This appears to be a different group of jailers than the once we dealt with yesterday. Perhaps they would be more forthcoming with information.

oO Unlikely... Oo

Salkath: ::deadpan:: If they do, it will not be by choice.

Gnai: Hopefully they are less... violent than the last set.

Curiously, the uniform of the leader of this set was different, both from her comrades as well as from the previous lead jailer's uniform. The guards that she had brought with her resembled soldiers far more than the previous day's as well, standing at attention behind her. That didn't bode well, in Gnai's mind. If the ministrations of their previous jailer had been only those of a lackey, and this was his boss... Gnai had no illusions that she would be any better. Not with the biting smile that was starting to form on her face. The smile of yet another predator.

The movements of the other prisoners were clear to see from the cell Gnai was in. They stood at mock attention, just behind the force fields. Well. Gnai wasn't one to rebel without cause. It scrambled to a posture that approximated those of the others, hoping that maybe it might be overlooked. At least it wouldn't get singled out, as that was likely dangerous.

Overseer Drox: ::gesturing to the cells of still sleeping prisoners:: Time for their wake up call.

Hearing the cries of the other prisoners that had been sleeping as the overseer stepped right in the middle of their cells was harrowing. She clearly took some sort of pleasure in the whole ordeal, if her ever-growing grin was anything to go by.

Overseer Drox: My, my–it has been some time since we have been graced with the presence of Starfleet in our humble facility. I’m sure your welcome was a little rough at the hands of those dimwitted brutes they get to handle intake, but I promise you one thing while you’re in my care. I can be much, much worse.

Gnai's body flashed briefly with fear. Hearing her outright state her intentions to be harsher on them was unnerving. Better to just keep quiet, at least when she was right there next to it. It could see every twitch of her eyes as she surveyed her prison, her kingdom. If she was going to keep her promise, Gnai was fine with being the perfect little prisoner, if it meant going around unbeaten.

Salkath: A charming boast.

Mackenzie: Response

Overseer Drox: Oh you’re right, where are my manners? I’m Nerrela, but please, let’s keep this formal. You will address me as Overseer Drox. It is my pleasure to be in charge of our guests sentenced to hard labor. We’ll all get to know each other very well by the end of today.

Mackenzie: Response

Salkath: ::aside, to Savel:: I doubt her honesty about getting to 'know each other'.

Savel: I have a feeling the exchange of information will be rather one sided.

With little desire to respond to her, or aggravate her further, Gnai just stood still in the psuedo-attention that the other prisoners had adopted. If the others wanted to poke the bear, so to speak, so be it.

Overseer Drox: ::raising her voice to address the wing:: I’ve got wonderful news for everyone. Thanks to your friends here from Starfleet, we’ll be skipping our morning mealtime and heading straight to work. ::grinning to look back at the officers:: Just in case you all were looking to make some friends today. ::turning to the rest of the guards:: Let’s get them all moving. We’re already behind schedule.

With that, Overseer Drox left the prisoners to mull over what she had said, and mull they did. A guard killed the force fields, a few cells at a time, and their grievances grew louder. The rest stayed at the exits and spaced down the corridor, clearly intending to use the threat of physical violence to keep the prison populace under control. Thankfully, even if the other prisoners had been sufficiently turned against them, none made any moves under the watchful eyes of the jailers. Their distaste was verbal only, at the moment. For once, Gnai was thankful for the guards' presence. Only a little though.

Savel: ::spoken quietly:: Behind schedule? They continue to show deficiencies in running this facility.

As they were led by the guards out of the cell block, ostensibly following wherever the Overseer had gone to, the prisoners mingled together. The Starfleet officers were given a wide berth, as Gnai had somewhat expected now, but the groups of prisoners to their front and back were large and loud enough that there was little chance of the guards overhearing them as they spoke.

Salkath: About that... Ensign Gnai has made a potential discovery that I alluded to earlier. It adds credence to your idea, and posits interesting questions about what is exactly happening here.

Gnai puffed up a bit at Lt. Cmdr. Salkath's words.

Gnai: Thank you, sir. The walls of this prison are not pure duranium. They are using cruder materials than they should need to. Duranium is not hard to come by.

Mackenzie/Savel: Response

Salkath: It is eminently possible that if they are using alloys or composites instead of replicating pure duranium, then they are having technical, energy, or resource difficulties or shortages. This can be a weakness we can exploit.

Gnai: And a clear shortage of civility here as well...

MacKenzie/Savel: Response

Salkath: There is, however, a downside to the ensign's discovery. The hard labor we are to be subjected to may involve mining or smelting.

As with everything in this mission, even moments of positivity were held back by reality. There was likely a weakness that they could exploit and perhaps use to flee... but in the meantime they might need to suffer back-breaking and skin-melting labor. Or, at least, the others would. Gnai's suit would suffer with them, but its body would likely be safe from the stress and strains of mining or smelting or whatever else they were forced to do as they bided their time and planned their escape.

Gnai: Perhaps this prison is just starting out. That the labor is being used to build the complex out further? If there is a lack of replicators, perhaps this is some frontier world?

Whatever the situation was, it confused Gnai even more to contemplate exactly why things were the way they were. Did the Dominion... not have replicator technology?

MacKenzie/Savel/Salkath: Response

More corridors that were the same as every other they had passed through. There was effort being made by their captors to make the prison seem polished and orderly, even if the cracks were beginning to show to Gnai. The appearance of competence was seemingly more important than actual competency here.

As they moved, the other prisoners became bolder, tossing insults every so often at them, egged on by their hunger. Gnai felt it too, but it assumed that no matter what, it would end up hungry here. The chances that the prison had food that it could eat were slim... and it wasn't going to chance opening up its tank anywhere here if it could help it.

Soon enough, though, they had arrived at another large portal, which opened into bright daylight. When its senses had adjusted, Gnai could see that Salkath may have been right. To one side was open air, a cleared plain with a few small guard posts prickling its surface, and silhouettes of far-off guards, just in case any of them decided to try their chances and make a run for it, it supposed.

To the other side, there were piles of rubble, carts, and tools. All things that spoke to the exact kind of harsh physical labor they were promised. A hole was carved into the side of a cliff and the dreaded Overseer Drox stood there, holding aloft some sort of small purple fruit in her hand. The sight of her caused the other prisoners to quiet down almost instantly, and their posture changed once again, stiffening under her gaze.

Overseer Drox: Hm. I'd have hoped that hearing how behind schedule we are, you all might have picked up the pace. ::shrugging:: But that's your problem, not mine. Either way, you'll be back on schedule by the end of today. Lost time will be made up.

MacKenzie/Savel/Salkath: Response?

The metal portal closed behind them, and the prisoners as a whole were corralled closer to the tunnel entrance. Crude physical implements, not sophisticated mining implements, Gnai noted. Yet another sign of how unprepared this place seemed to be.

oO What was its purpose, if it was to be run like this? What did they intend to build with the labor they had on hand... more of a prison? How large a population did they suspect? Oo

The overseer took a few bites of her fruit, pausing to chew and swallow, clearly enjoying the relative luxuries of not being a prisoner. Even with the other prisoners under her spell, as it seemed, Gnai could hear more than one stomach betray its owner.

Overseer Drox: ::designating a group of prisoners with a point:: You lot, are on transport today. ::designating another group:: Enjoy the fresh air when you have it. You're sorting today, and just remember what happened last time one of you made a mistake. ::she flashed that same cruel grin again, before designating the final group, eyes lingering on the Starfleet officers as she picked them out for it along with a few other prisoners:: And our Starfleet guests get the most important job of all, extraction. ::pause:: I expect compliance, and I expect results.

oO Extraction... the worst job. Of course. Oo

She turned away from the group, heading towards an elevated watchtower, still snacking on her breakfast. The prisoners were left to mill around under the watchful eyes of the guards as they prepared for their labor. Even amongst the others that were designated for mining, the Starfleet officers were left mostly alone. Gnai picked up one of the mining tools with its suit's arm.

Gnai: The guards do not seem like they'll follow into the tunnels... Perhaps that will provide chances to talk with others?

MacKenzie/Savel/Salkath: Response

Tag/TBC

--
Ensign Gnai