Captain Addison MacKenzie - Shore Leave Hotspots

Addison MacKenzie

Apr 24, 2024, 8:50:18 PMApr 24
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Quark’s Bar, Promenade, Deep Space Nine ))

The Commanding Officer and Chief Engineer of the Artemis had struck up a rather lively conversation swapping shore leave stories at what happened to be one of the more interesting shore leave destinations Addison had found herself in lately. Perched at the end of the bar in Quark’s, Addison listened as Hallia finished a harrowing story about how she and a Petty Officer stitched up a Nausicaan while drunk after a mosh pit experience gone bad. That incident occurred while Hallia was serving on the Embassy on Duronis II, a posting Addison also once held.

MacKenzie: I can absolutely imagine that to be true… The price when one goes moshing, I suppose… ::brief pause while taking another sip:: You said you served on Duronis II? Were you with the Embassy?

Yellir: Mhm! The one and only— although I can’t say it was an exciting post. Why do you ask?

MacKenzie: I served as their Chief Medical Officer for a very brief time before they decommissioned the embassy and I was reassigned to the Thor

It was a very short, very unpleasant assignment. There were a lot of things that she was proud of on her service record, including the work she’d done while serving on the Embassy, but there were a lot of experiences associated with her time there that left a lot to be desired.

Yellir: Oh really? How was it? I’ve heard of the Thor— a marvel of Engineering, I’ll say.

MacKenzie: ::shrugging indifferently:: It was not a good time. The Laudeans were great, but there were a lot of problems with the Embassy that made serving there difficult. …it’s one of the reasons why the Embassy was decommissioned.

Yellir: Ah yes— the Katherine Pulaski type of officers. Fast and loose with the prime directive, often not very diplomatic either.

Addison nodded slowly, appreciating the reference to one of the early stand-out medical officers in the Federation. She’d forgotten that Hallia was an officer of many talents, not only as an innovative engineer, but as someone who also had a background steeped in science and medicine. That said, Hallia also had an understanding of what kind of mess happened to be leading the Embassy – an old guard incapable of changing at the same pace as the rest of Starfleet.

MacKenzie: ::flatly:: It was a shitshow. I’d been recommended for the job to help turn things around, but that ship was heavy, and steering it was impossible.

Yellir: Well— think of it this way, if it wasn’t for such an unfavourable stopover, maybe neither of us would’ve been here now.

Addison nodded, a bit sarcastically, and offered the Yelikan a smirk.

MacKenzie: Oh, right. Destruction of the Resolution, and all the hazards lurking in the Borderlands.

Yellir: You know, it always could be worse. Imagine being cooped up on Jupiter Station, hell, even in the Delta Quadrant, at least on Duronis there’s some kind of floorshow.

MacKenzie: Well, for being on the edge of Romulan space, I didn’t expect there to be a gift shop… so I guess it wasn’t all that bad. (beat) I don’t know, though – have you ever been to Amity Station in the Delta Quadrant?

Yellir: Response

Addison made an “ok” sign with one hand as she picked up her mug and took a swig.

MacKenzie: It’s a must-stop the next time you have enough leave to get to that corner of the galaxy. Their XO is a friend of mine, and the last time I was down that way, we engaged in some fun war games with Captain Rahman and some Hirogen who were looking to build better collaboration with the Federation.

Yellir: Response

Addison shrugged and offered another playful smirk.

MacKenzie: I know a good time when I see one.

Yellir: Response

Tag, and TBC!

---

Captain Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS
Commanding Officer
USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Member at Large

V239601AM0