LtCmdr Salkath - Engineering a Good Relationship

Salkath

Apr 21, 2024, 11:12:57 PMApr 21
to Main Artemis
((Chief Engineer’s Office, Deck 15 - USS Artemis))

This first 'official' meeting between engineers on the Artemis was proving to be fruitful. Each of them was sizing the other up, not out of any sense of competition or challenge, but rather as to give each other their due respect. Salkath accepted the proffered tea from Lieutenant Yellir, and gazed evenly at his colleague. She was the first of her people that Salkath had served with, and her distinguishing features were unique. He took a sip of his beverage before continuing their conversation.

Salkath: I have you at a disadvantage, Lieutenant. I have taken the liberty of accessing your service record, and I see that engineering was not your first departmental posting?

Yellir: ::setting down her cup:: It is a little unorthodox. I studied physical sciences on the Resolution— xenobiology, meteorology, I even dabbled with astrophysics, but it wasn’t really my strong suit. To be very honest, I’m still rather shocked that I was offered the position.

Salkath: It is a logical progression. The physical sciences dictate the basis of our work in Engineering. One could argue your experiences make you a more proficient engineer than one who did not have the same.

Yellir: I appreciate that, that’s very high praise coming from you commander. Considering much of our ship runs with bio-neural circuitry, I’ve appreciated working with something a bit more… organic.

Bio-neural circuitry had become more common in the fleet in the past couple decades. It continued to blur the line between medical sciences and engineering sciences, which was a double-edged sword sometimes. It made for much faster and efficient processing systems, but when things went wrong... do you call a doctor or do you call an engineer? Having multiple skill sets and expansive knowledge was becoming more and more valuable in a modern Starfleet. He nodded in deference.

Salkath: Such circuitry is not my expertise, but I do appreciate the value of it. It certainly is a topic I hope to improve upon during my time on the Artemis.

They both turned to their drinks for a moment, giving a comfortable silence between them for the short period during.

Yellir: You’re a very accomplished Engineer yourself, why settle for a Starship of all places?

Salkath put his cup down, staring at it for a protracted moment. A thought crossed his mind, unbecoming a Vulcan. "Do I lie?" He considered it for longer than he was willing to admit, before deciding that he needed to tell Hallia the truth. It wasn't a scandalous truth or anything like that, but rather just an uncomfortable admission.

Salkath: As illogical as it sounds, I don't want to settle. ::he continued to cast his gaze down at his cup:: That word, 'settle'. It is so weighted in Federation Standard, so dependent on context. I presume you mean 'accept that which is lesser', whereas my use indicates 'adopting a comfortable or secure way of life'.

He took a quick sip of his tea to whet his throat before continuing on.

Salkath: Settling is to become complacent. It is to accede to predestiny. My family would be content for me to settle, expect it of me, even if it is within an organization of which they disapprove. I do not wish to settle, in that sense. There is no logical reason for me to find this so important, but I do. Thus, I move around, accepting commissions on as many ships as I can.

He cleared his throat, uncomfortable, finally looking up to his superior officer. Had he made this admission to another Vulcan, he would expect waves of disapproval from them. There were volumes of family history behind his words, and a fellow Vulcan, familiar with Vulcan mores and norms, would likely be able to deduce his rebellion against those familial pressures. But to a colleague, a ranking officer? Perhaps all his words say is that he is unreliable; apt to leave for another ship at a moment's notice. That too was not the intent of his words, but it was easier to be thought that than thought of as overly... emotional.

Salkath: I apologize for my candor, Lieutenant, and I appreciate your patience with it. I imagine it must be difficult to relate to what I am saying.

Yellir: response

Salkath considered her words carefully. The respect that he had for Hallia as a superior officer and a colleague was morphing into a more personal respect, and all the more stronger for it. He surmised that they would work very well together going forward, and perhaps even be able to continue to share personal anecdotes once in a while.

Salkath: Indeed. In fact, I should not be surprised by now that experiences are often more similar than different, even across cultures. ::finishing his tea:: Rest assured, Lieutenant, that my loyalty is and will remain to this department and the Artemis. I foresee that working together will be amicable.

Yellir: response

After placing his teacup back down just so, Salkath arose and gave yet another deferential nod to Hallia.

Salkath: I have taken enough of your time, Lieutenant. I will ensure I am integrated into the duty roster and will be at your disposal as needed. Thank you for the tea, and thank you for the meeting.

There was ever so slightly more emphasis on the latter part of the sentence, as close as this Vulcan would get to thanking his colleague for lending her ear. Hallia gave Salkath the impression of a competent and empathetic department head, and that was more than he could have hoped for. He would find this posting... agreeable.

Yellir: response

TAG/TBC

--
Lieutenant Commander Salkath