Ens Hiro Jones - Lieutenant Guinea Pig

notyourfrog

Mar 30, 2023, 11:13:44 AM3/30/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Turyon Planet Hopper - Hopping Over Tecra ))

MacKenzie: Erbil, it’s time to go. Now! Lieutenant Osuna, are you armed?

Osuna: ::Over his shoulder::  Yes ma’am…  ::Pulling his phaser from his holster, keeping it at the ready::  Though I’d rather not have to use it.

The commander handed a handheld phaser to Osuna, then set into action. Hiro was always impressed with the aplomb with which the Commander managed so many moving pieces and variables. Clearly she was a doctor.

MacKenzie: You two will have to give us some cover while we get underway. If those Da’al are armed, we’re in trouble.

Osuna: Understood…  ::Indicating the open hatch::  If they’re in the house, they might make it to the roof in a second.

Yalu: Response

Turning to Yellir and Teolin, she gave a look that didn't exactly fill Hiro with excitement bout the ride to come.

MacKenzie: And you two just sit tight and enjoy the ride.

Teolin/Yellir: Responses

Jones: I can start making the necessary modifications to the stasis generator in the medkit you brought, sir. That way when we're at a safe distance it'll just be a matter of plug and play.

She gestured toward the back.

MacKenzie: My kit is in the corner.

Jones: ::to Yellir:: Think I can get a hand? We only get one shot, and you're our resident wire de-tangler.

Yellir: Response

The two set to work modifying the spare stasis device. It wasn't really meant for this kind of application (originally, its use had been to preserve small plants during transport, but nobody needed to know that), but the fundamental theory was good. Hiro was grateful to have Yellir at hand. Her expertise with rigging devices for altogether new uses had already proved invaluable on this mission.

Jones: ::consulting his tricorder:: Right, so the frequency we'll need is an oscillation between 34.8 MHz and 22.2 MHz.

He turned the device around so Yellir could see the pattern.

Jones: ::to the whole group:: Is there broadcast transmitter array on this vessel, or will we need to go somewhere else?

They couldn’t answer before a third voice interrupted.

Dakora: How far away is this place? ::He grimaced.:: I'm doing... I'm doing real bad back here.

Hiro looked up, concerned to hear the strained tone of Dakora's voice.

MacKenzie: I can’t recommend another dose of Lexorin – he’s already agitated and I think at this point additional drugs might only make it worse…

Jones: oO the device is almost ready. Please don't Hulk out on us, Lieutenant. Oo ::quietly to Yellir:: If he's willing to cooperate and hold still, we can do a short-range test on him.

Yalu/Yellir: Responses?

Dakora did not look to be in a cooperative mood however. Even from where he sat, Hiro could see his pupils had dilated and the veins in his temples now stood out from the strain and increased blood flow. The man in black was putting a monumental effort into restraining himself, but Hiro could see it was a losing battle.

Osuna: Lieutenant? Talk us through it – what are you experiencing? Do you have control?

The growl from Dakora was answer enough, and Osuna whipped up the phaser with incredible speed, covering the new threat. If Dakora was mollified by the weapon directed at him, he didn't show it.

Dakora: Give it to me.

Osuna: Sit down, Lieutenant.

Commander MacKenzie stood and took a careful step toward the man with whom she'd all too recently shared trauma. It was a good tact, Hiro mused somewhere in the recesses of his mind. She was appealing not only to his innate sense of duty - an order from the CO was not something to be ignored, but also to the bond forged from surviving outlandish and horrifying circumstances together.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Dakora, I order you to stand down.

Hiro looked at the device in Yellir's hands. She'd gotten the frequency within range, and was now synchronizing the oscillation pattern.

Jones: Nearly there...

Yalu/Yellir/Erbil: Responses?

Osuna: ::To MacKenzie::  Captain, permission to restrain Lieutenant Dakora?

MacKenzie: I think that would be wi-

oO oh boy. Oo

Dakora was fast. He was on Osuna in a single stride. It was like watching a large cat stalking prey - pupils dilated, positioning, muscles tensing, then pounce. Dakora now had Osuna's wrist clenched in his fist, simultaneously directing the phaser away from him and attempting to prize it from the security man's hand. For a split second, Hiro considered leaping to Osuna's aid. He was a good fighter after all, but right now, Dakora (and the whole planet for that matter) would be best served by Hiro and Yellir finishing this device.

Dakora: Response?

MacKenzie: Stand down!

Dakora either didn't hear the command or else had given up the fight so completely he no longer cared to comply.

On the tricorder, Hiro watched the two longitudinal waves grow closer to parity. They were so close.

Yalu/Yellir/Erbil: Responses?

Osuna used his non-phaser arm to throw an elbow into Dakora's head. The impact didn't seem to phase the attacking man much, but the blow was just enough it seemed to allow Osuna to wrench his wrist free from Dakora's grasp.

Osuna: I said–

Dakora: Response?

Hiro readied himself to do ... something to help Osuna. He just wasn't sure what. He didn't have a weapon, hand-to-hand against the bigger man would be a bad idea right now, and jumping on Dakora's back seemed a fool's errand.

Just then however, the two officers engaged in a grapple. They clung to each other, each attempting to control the others body. They stumbled sideways, knocking over a small crate, which clattered to the ground. A moment later, Dakora had his hand on Osuna’s face. Leaning into the shove, Osuna threw himself towards the ground, pulling Dakora with him into a roll – and pushing into his center mass with his legs, flipping the intelligence officer over onto his back with a resounding thud.

Osuna twisted his hand around in an awkward position, and the telltale whish of phaser fire rang out. Dakora had been struck in the shoulder. It wasn't enough to completely stun him, but it did give the security chief a window to roll away from the crazed man.

Osuna: Last chance, Lieutenant. Sit down.

Dakora: Response

He fired again, and Dakora’s body slumped to the floor, unconscious.

Osuna: Dammit…   ::To Jones::  Make sure he’s alright.

He was already moving toward the downed officer. Grabbing the spare tricorder from MacKenzie's medkit so Yellir could continue using his, Hiro scanned Dakora. This was the first chance he'd had to run a scan on someone this far advanced in the Da'allium affliction. Brainwaves were extremely abnormal. It looked as though the medial prefrontal cortex - one of the pain centers of the brain had temporarily disrupted the effects of the Da'allium. A good hard slap might have had the same effect. Now though, the Delta and Theta waves in particular were synchronizing with the wave pattern Hiro was getting a bit tired of looking at.

MacKenzie: Well, I don’t know about all of you, but I’ve had enough excitement for one day.

Jones: Took the words from my mouth, sir.

Yalu/Yellir/Erbil: Responses?

With the brain scan complete, Hiro scanned the phaser burns. A visual scan was enough to tell they weren't life threatening, but he still had to check.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Osuna, when Doctor Jones finished ensuring that Lieutenant Dakora is safe, find something to restrain him with.

Osuna: Response

Jones: Sir, I'd like to try something. Once we have the device ready, we can test its effects on the Lieutenant here. Worst-case scenario, it does nothing. He wouldn't be in any danger. Best-case, his brain waves are allowed to return to normal. It would be a temporary fix for him, but it would let us know ahead of time the device will work on a large scale.

MacKenzie: Minister, how long until we reach the government offices?

Erbil: Response

Jones: ::to Osuna:: You ok? That was quite the tussle. How's your wrist?

Osuna: Response

MacKenzie: I don’t suppose you have a tissue?

Yalu: Response

Jones: ::to Yellir:: How's it coming?

Yellir: Response

Jones: Great! ::to MacKenzie:: We're ready, sir.

MacKenzie: Response

Hiro placed the device directly onto Dakora's forehead and tapped to activate. The single wave split into two, showing immediate desynchronization of Delta and Theta waves with the surrounding Da'allium.

Jones: It works! oO Don't sound so surprised, Hiro. Oo

MacKenzie/Yalu/Yellir/Osuna/Erbil: Response

Jones: We still want to keep the Lieutenant restrained for now. Once we deactivate the device, his brainwaves will re-sync with the Da'allium, and he's likely to be ... touchy. But the good news is: we know this will work.

MacKenzie/Yalu/Yellir/Osuna/Erbil: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones, MD
USS Artemis-A, Medical
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius