LtJG Hiro Jones - I Didn't Want to Serve Trouble, but If You're Hungry, It's Hot

notyourfrog

Aug 12, 2023, 7:57:08 PM8/12/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Draivon District, Cait))

Jones: ::to Luxa:: What would you recommend?

The dabo group seemed to have lost interest in them for the most part. Hiro noted one of them kept glancing over between turns, and wondered if he knew Luxa or if something else was going on.

Lorana: ::ignoring B'rett:: I recommend the Linneri Stew. It's tasty and filling :: chuckles :: and if those sounds from your stomach are to be believed, then you are very hungry. Or the noodles are an interesting option, if you're feeling more adventurous.

Jones: Ooh! I love noodles ... wait - "adventurous?" You know what, never mind. I'll give them a try.

Lorana: Good choice.

Jones: ::raising a hand to get the bartender's attention:: I think we're about ready.

Caitian Bartender: That was quick. What you having?

Jones: I'm going to have the noodles, please. And something cold but not too sweet to drink? Dealer's choice.

He looked to Luxa, who seemed mildly distracted, but not so much where she couldn't order. As she did so, Hiro noticed one of the guys from the dabo table was making a beeline for them The look on his face communicated he definitely knew Luxa.

Lorana: ::distracted:: The stew for me, and some plesia fruit juice.

Dabo guy stopped only when he'd gotten right next to Luxa. The bartender walked off to get their orders, so Hiro had no option other than listen in on the conversation between old friends (?).

B'rett: Hello haressa.

Hiro didn't know the word, but he was adept enough in reading context clues to know it probable wasn't intended as a familiar, complementary name. He therefore payed closer attention. Luxa was more than capable of defending herself, but there was a big difference between playing "white knight" and leaving a friend out to dry.

Lorana: ::furious:: B'rett, interesting to find you here, I thought you'd be enjoying some time in a penal colony somewhere.

Ok so absolutely not someone she's happy to see. She spun to face Hiro who, caught by surprise at the ferocity there.

Jones: I'm guessing you know each other.

B'rett: ::to Hiro:: Yes, we go way back ::to Luxa:: I heard you joined Starfleet ::laughs:: They must've been desperate to take you on.

B'rett was posturing. Hiro had no idea what this particular guys deal was, but he'd known meat heads like him back in Chicago. Alone, they were pretty much just blow-hards. Get them in a pack though, and that could be a mini-mob situation. Hiro looked toward the dabo table and saw what he expected. B'rett's buddies were responding to the unspoken call for backup. Hiro sat a little closer to the edge of his barstool.

Lorana: ::annoyed:: B'rett what are you wanting?

Jones: I certainly hope it's not trouble. That's one thing we definitely don't want.

B'rett: Response

Lorana: Response

Backup Meat-head #1: Hey! You can't talk to B'rett like that, traitor.

Jones: Excuse me? I think that's too far. I can understand your jealousy. She got offworld while you stays here and ... what? Joined a pack of other wash-outs that hang out in bars and play dabo?

Backup Meat-head #1: I wasn't ... no ... I mean shut up, you bald monkey!

B'rett: Response

The retorts and feeble attempts at getting Hiro riled up were sad to say the least. These were in essence overgrown kids. He really just wanted them to find some other shiny object to distract them so he and Luxa could eat their meal in peace.

Jones: ::to Luxa:: Maybe we should try another place?

The other two guys had just stood there blinking stupidly while their heads turned from one speaker to the next as though they were watching a velocity match. This was ridiculous, but it was the kind of ridiculous that could turn ugly fast. In the back of Hiro's mind, he wondered if it was too late to change their food order to-go, but the bartender seemed to have evaporated.

Backup Meathead #1: Maybe you should stay where you are 'till B'rett says you can go!

Lorana: Response

Jones: And I don't take orders from B'rett. Or any of you. This is not a fight you want to pick, friend. ::slowly and clearly:: Take my advice, and go back to playing dabo.

B'rett: Response

Lorana: Response

Tags/TBC

USS Artemis-A, Counselor
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius