Tevet Elain – I promised

Jovenan

Jan 27, 2024, 11:28:30 AMJan 27
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Chez Adea, Dekoa, Betazed))

Tevet wasn’t afraid when the Dominion ships flew over. It happened sometimes. Their comings and goings often meant trouble, but it wasn’t anything new. It happened.

But the animals didn’t know that. Every time the house shook and the lights in the cellar flickered, the small room had been filled with a cacophony of the town pets crying, hissing or howling. It had scared Tevet more than the bullies’ planes the first time it had happened, but now she only spoke with a soft voice to her precious animals.

Elain: There, there. It’s alright, they’re not here anymore. It okay.

It took more than a few words to comfort the terrified beings, but they calmed down eventually. Tevet had been visiting them everyday since she had moved them to the basement for safety after Genkos’ family had been taken away. She might be only seven years old, but she was also the last vet in the town.

She resumed her round feeding each of them. It had been lucky that Mr Adea had so much pet food in here, but she was worried she might need to find more. But it was something she’d need to think more about later. When she had reached one of the cages, she squealed in delight. Miss Ziakas’ tribble had had babies! She will be so happy when Tevet told her, once she returned from the camp…

A presence.

Tevet wasn’t a very strong telepath yet, but she could tell she wasn’t alone. There was someone upstairs. Someone had come here to steal her animals!

She almost started crying at that moment. She couldn’t let anything happen to the pets! She had promised to take care of them. If she didn’t do something, she had betrayed her promise to Genkos and everyone in the town. She looked around, helpless, until her eyes caught something. She had used it to open the bags for the pet food. Grasping the sharp knife, she said goodbye to the pets and tiptoed up the stairs to hunt the burglars.

Sadar: B-Beyond the standard 500 km radius, I don’t think there’s much we can do to enhance our commbadges’ reach without getting our hands on some equipment…

Tevet could hear the muffled voices of the intruders from behind a corner. Moreover, she could feel them. The one who had just spoken reeked of anxiety. The town hadn’t had much other sapient species besides Betazoids and Humans, and she was certain it was neither. One of the bad guys, then.

Jovenan: Communication attempts might also alert the Dominion forces. I don’t think they’re going to be very friendly to us…

This one’s mind was so open it could have as well broadcasted its thoughts to the entire town. It was thinking, planning something, but Tevet didn’t want to pry too much into its thoughts in case it could tell her doing that. What Tevet could tell, however, was that she was not a species familiar to her. She had no idea what it was.

Adea: Response

Tevet was surprised. It… He was a Betazoid!

Sadar: Response

Jovenan: We don’t know if Starfleet is anywhere near us, but there might be a resistance cell or a

Tevet tried moving closer to see the intruders from behind a corner, but when she did that, a plank she had stepped on made a noise. She quickly withdrew her foot, but it had already happened. She had been discovered!

Jovenan: ::whisper:: There’s somebody in here…

Adea/Sadar: Response

Tevet closed her eyes for a moment as she held the knife in her both hands against her chest which raised up and down as she breathed heavily. She wanted to run away, or hide, but she had to protect the pets. She couldn’t let anything happen to them.

She stepped out of her hiding, holding the knife with both hands, her arms extended, trying to appear as threatening as her 120 cm body allowed.

Elain: Who are you?

Adea/Sadar/Jovenan: Response

Elain: This is not your home, go away!

Adea/Sadar/Jovenan: Response