Ensign Jovenan – The Pain of the Unknown Knife

Jovenan

Mar 12, 2023, 6:37:42 AM3/12/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Palace of Culture, Tecra, Meranuge IV))

They were dealing with a clearly distressed man and their contact person whose emotions were not a bit less on the surface.

Kleebohn: I don't care who you are. You're not. supposed. to be. here.

Jovenan didn’t know much about Da’al psyche, but for most species and cultures, aggressive shouting rarely leads to the other person proceeding to make rational decisions. Calm reasoning often had higher rate of success.

Jovenan: ::calmly:: Sir, maybe we could move aside, so we wouldn’t be blocking this area from people who need help.

The Da’al man nodded. Luckily, that seemed to be an effective strategy.

Silveira: This is a tense enough moment.

Kag: ::muttering:: You're telling me.

Shouting for some tent not far from them interjected into their conversation. Ms Kleebohn seemed to find that annoying.

Kleebohn: ::muttering:: I can't deal with this too. ::to the group:: If you'll excuse me a moment, I have to deal with something. I'll return in a moment ::to Tornahd:: at which time, you had better be somewhere else.

The relief coordinator left them alone with the distressed man.

Silveira: I might have misunderstood your name Sir, can you repeat it? I am Vitor Silveira.

Kag: And I'm Sela Kag.

Undisturbed by the absent coordinator, the man could now speak up his name and intentions.

Tornahd: Dusan. Dusan Tornahd. ::He shook his head again.:: I need to go. I need...

Adea: Tell us what’s the matter.

Jovenan: Are you injured yourself, sir? Maybe you would prefer to wait in the shelter area?

Mr Tornahd turned his face to her. He had calmed down a bit, although he still seemed like he could start crying at any given moment. Jovenan was neither an empath nor a trained counsellor, but for a very short moment she could identify a hint of curiosity in his face. He might not have ever before seen an offworlder.

Kag: We're heading that way right now, and you're free to join us.

Tornahd: N-No. I just came from there. I'm not injured- I'm trying to locate my family.

Jovenan felt a rush of empathetic pity taking over her body. They had prepared for deaths and injuries, people who would have lost their families and homes. If that pain was like a blunt trauma, uncertainty was a cut of knife. It took time and bleed and hurt the entire time.

Adea: Maybe you’ll find more information about them at the processing centre?

She didn’t know for how long the man had aimlessly toured the Palace looking for his family. Maybe he had already asked for them from the rescue team. There was a chance his family had simply passed him in the chaos.

Jovenan: Or they could be in the triage area being taken care of. The authorities might not simply have their names if they went directly there.

Kag/Silveira: Response?

Tornahd: They aren't here, I've checked. ::He gulped.:: Have you come from the impact site, Outlanders? Are there many survivors?

He was clinging on any straw of hope he could find. Maybe it indeed dulled the pain.

Adea: We’ve only just arrived, I’m afraid.

Jovenan: We came here directly from our ship. Our team is helping here in the Palace, while another team is assisting on site.

Kag/Silveira: Response

Tornahd: I understand. Perhaps I can find this other team of Outlanders and they can use their technology to help me.

Commander Adea nodded on the suggestion. Jovenan didn’t know if it was better for him to stay here and wait for information on his family, or to run looking for them in the area with collapsing buildings and other possible dangers. There was however little they could do to stop him either.

Kag/Silveira: Response?

Tornahd: I think it wiser if I leave before she returns. Thank you, and may you help many.

Adea: We shall do our best.

Jovenan: Good luck finding your family, sir!

Kag/Silveira: Response?

The man left, leaving the Starfleet team alone for a moment before Ms Kleebohn would return. Jovenan was very much aware that they might meet many more people who didn’t know where their families and friends were and who wanted to go looking for them. Mr Tornahd was uninjured and seemingly in good health, so maybe he could render assistance to the rescue teams. She wasn’t sure if all those who wanted to leave for the city were as likely to help the teams as to require help themselves.

Commander Adea pointed an area with his cane.

Adea: Let’s set up over there - once we set up the transporter beacons we can have the Artemis beam down the rest of the gear and we can really get to work.

Jovenan: Aye, sir.

Kag/Silveira: Response?

As they were starting with the beacons, the Commander turned their attention to the relief coordinator before she would join them again.

Adea: What do you make of Kleebohn? She seems stressed, naturally, but I feel like there’s something else too…

Jovenan wasn’t entirely sure what the Commander referred to. Ms Kleebohn was obviously stressed, and the stress manifested itself through aggravation and shouting. Maybe the Betazoid Commander had picked up more than she had.

Jovenan: I don’t know, sir. Maybe she doesn’t have sufficient training to deal with mass catastrophises?

Kag/Silveira: Response

They worked to set up the transporter beacons/enhancers to the spot the Commander had pointed to them. As soon as the pillar-like devices were placed to the ground in the clear formation, they activated them. Jovenan proceeded to check the calibration to confirm they were ready to receive the first cargo.

Jovenan: We're ready, sir.

Adea/Kag/Silveira/Kleebohn: Responses?

The shimmering air turned blue for a moment before turning into various crates, boxes and other containers and usable items. Jovenan grabbed one of the boxes to move it out of the way to the lower crates.

Jovenan: Where do you want these to go, sir?

Adea/Kag/Silveira/Kleebohn: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Ensign Jovenan