Lt. Gabriel Osuna: No Stone Unturned

Robin Hopper

May 3, 2023, 10:08:17 PM5/3/23
to USS Artemis (IC)

((Chief of Security’s Office, Deck 8 – USS Artemis))

With their preliminary introductions out of the way, Osuna wanted to see just what sort of Security Officer Ensign Savel was going to make. He’d had the opportunity to see him in action – very briefly – down on Da’al…

So far, his impression was that Savel was a quick decision-maker and didn’t hesitate from taking initiative when the situation called for it. He suspected that this enthusiasm, or at least, lack of hesitation, might also be tempered by a bit of classic Vulcan mindfulness; Not a bad quality in a security officer either. Attention to detail was often key to mitigating situations before they got out of control.

Time to put that to the test. Gabe patted the desk and stood up, pushing his chair away from behind him.

Osuna: Come with me, let’s take a quick tour of the Security Center. As we go, let me know what you see: Weak points, potential exploits, anyone with a stain on their uniform. Treat it like an inspection – I want to watch you in action, Ensign Savel.

Savel stood from his chair and nodded at the Lieutenant before leading the way out of the office.

Savel: Yes, Lieutenant.

((A Few Minutes Later, Armory, Deck 8))

Gabe followed Savel as he approached the armory. Given its proximity to the CSO’s office, it seemed like a logical enough place to start. It was also an area of the ship where officers in their department might feel overconfident. Gabe clearly recalled one of his fellow Ensigns getting chewed out back on Deep Space Nine for leaving the weapons racks unsecured “because the room was locked anyways, and it saved time.”

Being a Security Officer meant more than walking a beat, fighting off boarding parties, or throwing scumbags in the brig. It meant vigilance and self-discipline as well – maintaining the security of your station, or vessel, and anticipating danger. Many of the officers on Artemis were recent transfers from other ships – and each of them would be bringing along bad habits from their previous postings.

Savel: Savel. Access.

The doors swooshed open, allowing Savel and Gabriel to step inside. Gabe gave the room a quick visual scan, but waited for Savel to point out an issue, which he swiftly did. The Ensign immediately made his way across the room and pointed out an unsecured weapon.

Savel: Lieutenant, do you have a roster for the crewman on duty in the armory right now?

Osuna: Officially? Yes. It’s accessible via any of the terminals in this unit with the right access codes. Unofficially, also yes.  ::Pointing to his head::  It’s in here.

Osuna walked over to the phaser rifle that had been left out on a workbench beside an unsecured rack, shaking his head. He looked down on it, saw that the weapon’s power cell had been removed.

Osuna: Looks like we caught someone mid battery-swap.  ::Turning around to face Savel::  They should be back any–

The door slid open and a gold-shirted Crewman entered. Gabe recognized him instantly as Centrich, Viktor – an armory technician who’d transferred aboard the refitted Artemis from the USS Berlin. As he entered, he froze in his place, no doubt mentally peeing his pants.

Osuna: Mr. Centrich…  ::Glancing down to the phaser rifle::  …Doing some maintenance?

The young man looked back and forth between the two Officers, momentarily speechless, a phaser rifle power cell in his hand.

Savel: Crewman Centrich, are you aware of the multiple Starfleet regulations you violated by leaving these weapons outside a secure locker?

Centrich: Uh, well, ye-yes, Ensign. I'm sorry.

As Centrich’s gaze fell on Osuna, he crossed his arms and glanced at Savel, allowing the Ensign to take the lead.

Savel: Inform me of the proper steps needed to correct this error.

Centrich then rushed over to the table to pick up the rifle to return it to its correct spot on the open rack, slotting the power cell into it.

Centrich: The, uh, weapon's functions were all fine, great even, top-notch, sirs. Nothing wrong there. So I-I'll put it back over here and-and lock it up.

After the rack was locked, Centrich turned back to the other officers, assuming a position of attention.

Savel: And?

Centrich: And I'll... ::taking a deep breath to collect his thoughts:: submit a-a maintenance report on the weapons stored in weapons rack zero-zero-::glancing over to check the number on the side of the rack::-one.

Osuna nodded, then turned to Savel, as the Ensign looked his way.

Savel: Lieutenant, are there any further corrections Crewman Centrich must make?

Osuna: ::Back to Centrich::  Just remember that a rifle without its power cell is just as dangerous in the wrong hands as a charged one. The lock-out procedures are in place to make sure the opportunity for misappropriation is never presented.

Savel offered a nod before he turned to Centrich again.

Savel: Agreed, Lieutenant. Crewman, you have your orders.

Centrich: Yes sirs.

Gabe motioned towards the door with his head and the young Crewman scuttled out as quickly as he dared, looking back over his shoulder as he left. A small smile crept onto Gabe’s face. He could only imagine how fast the man’s heart must have been beating.

Shaking his head and letting out a little sigh, he turned around to face Savel, and raised his eyebrows, inviting an analysis.

Savel: Perhaps the ship's armorers need a reminder of Starfleet regulations regarding the storage of weapons aboard this vessel. A potential weak point among this department, if this is true of others like Crewman Centrich.

Osuna: ::Nodding::  Yeahhh… A lot of new transfers. People get complacent, you know. You run a ship two, three years, never have any issues – but it only takes one mistake to be fatal…

He leaned back against the workbench and ran a hand along his chin.

Osuna: I get it. The kid’s just trying to work efficiently. Locking the weapon up while you grab a powercell might feel like a waste of time – but, you know, I’m working on some initiatives to get everyone up to speed with my expectations. A lot of the armorers here just went through a technical school and never saw the Academy like you or me. We can catch them up.

Savel: Response

Gabe leaned forward again, off the workbench, and gave Savel a little wave to follow him. He led him out of the room and back into the Security Center. In the middle of the room was a bank of terminals, where Security Officers would check in for their shifts, conduct research, share information, and check on the status of various ship’s systems. Around the outside were a series of secured rooms – offices, a meeting room, the firing range, the armory, and – through the back – the brig and detention cells.

Osuna: I’ll bet you a drink that if we walk into the firing range right now, we’ll find a few infractions just like that one – people running lax on procedure. You strike me as someone with appreciation for procedure, Savel.

Savel: Response

Osuna: Well, if you ever see me missing something, don’t think I’m above being corrected. I might be experienced and hold a rank, but I’m not perfect.  ::Smiling::  I’m only human…

Savel: Response

Osuna: ::Clearing his throat::  Hey, let me ask you something. You and Kader put in a request to take a shuttle down to the planet’s surface in a day or two. I saw a couple other Ensigns on there – Lorana and, uh, Jovenan, I think? From Science. That right?

Savel: Response

Osuna: ::Nodding::  Sounds like fun.  ::Stepping a bit closer, speaking more softly::  I’m not convinced the situation on Da’al is as stable as we’d like it to be. A quick look at the Galaktoboureko is evidence enough of that…  I know it’s just a “camping trip” but, I want you to go armed. Non-lethals, just like before – but I’ll rest easier knowing you can defend the group if you need to.

Savel: Response

Osuna: Good.  ::Clapping his hands together::  Alright, let’s carry on. Who shall we put the fear of God into next?

Savel: Response

TAG / TBC?

((OOC – If you want to keep up the inspection, I welcome it. However, this also feels like an alright place to wrap up the scene, so feel free to END it with your next sim, if you like. No need to leave me more tags in that case.))

==

Lt. Gabriel Osuna (he/him)
Chief Security Officer, USS Artemis-A
V239806K11