JP - Lt. Talos Dakora, Lt. Robin Hopper, & Lohani Vananth-Polgonz: Revelations (Part 5)

Robin Hopper

Apr 23, 2023, 5:29:28 PM4/23/23

((Morning – The Next Day – Conference Room, FDC Offices, Amity Outpost))

Lohani paced slowly near the head of the conference table, returning occasionally to rest a hand gingerly upon the decorative metallic chest sitting atop it, tapping her fingers on its ornate lid. She had hoped not to delay things any longer than was necessary, especially since it seemed that Talos, like many young Noble Betazoid men, seemed incapable of withholding his indulgence for even a single day.

Were he anyone else, she wouldn’t care. After all, scandal was her business… But anyone associated with the Sixth House – even by implication – had to be held to a higher standard. They were purveyors of entertainment, not the source of it themselves, and she would not have any Son, confirmed or potential, finding himself in any headlines under her watch.

However – Lieutenant Hopper had insisted that additional time was necessary if Lohani did, in fact, want the testing to be absolutely inscrutable… a necessity. She’d been skeptical of Miss Hopper as well. Evidently she, too, had little concern for discretion. She’d had her people keep an eye on the SRC and its Department Chief. She’d gone home alone that night.  oO For the best. Oo  Lohani figured.

The door slid open and Talos entered. Lohani stopped her pacing and returned to the chest, standing beside it, resting a hand atop it, and placed the other on her hip.

Lohani: I take it you got a better sleep last night than prior?  ::Curiously::  Or were you tossing and turning over today’s imminent pronouncement?

Talos offered a respectable closed-mouth smile as she spoke.

It was true, last night had been rather uneventful in comparison to the night before. He'd made a spirited attempt at going out, but in some intangible way the bars and restaurants of the Merchant District had seemingly lost some of their magic. He'd haunted a bar for a drink or two, his conversation with Robin earlier that day churning in his mind the whole time. No mysterious brunettes with big blue eyes appeared to sweep him away. No beautiful people with wholesome-but-chaotic energy had shown up and led him off on any more wild adventures.

No, after two drinks alone, mostly in silence, he'd gone back to his guest quarters and tried like hell to get some sleep.

He didn't say any of that, but then again, in present company what was said was only a part of the story.

Dakora: I had a nice quiet night. ::His smile gained some sincerity.:: But yes, as you can imagine I've had a lot on my mind.

Lohani: Have a seat, Lieutenant.

She waited while he did.

Lohani: How are you feeling about this whole business today? Have you need for another Jestral tea, perhaps?

Once again sitting across from Lohani Vananth-Polgonz, Daughter of the Sixth House of Betazed, holder of probably several other fancy titles that he wasn’t even aware of, he did feel the gradually increasing buzz of nervousness coming on again.

He nodded appreciatively.

Dakora: That would be great, thank you. ::His eyes drifted up from the table to meet hers.:: And as for how I feel? Well, if I’m being honest, I never expected it to get this far. ::He raised his eyebrows.:: I think I’ve only just started to accept the possibility that there could be any truth to this.

Lohani: I’m glad to hear you haven’t forsaken the notion of Noble Heritage yet…  ::Moving to the replicator, producing a pot of tea and placing it in the center of the table::  We’re not all cold-hearted, self-centered, conniving gossips…  ::A smirk::  Just those of us who’ve made ‘a living’ of it.

He laughed at her joke in a carefully measured way, eyeing the teapot and the delicate-looking little cups she had produced. Like most things about Vananth-Polgonz, the set was elegant and classy, adjectives that were not commonly ascribed to Talos or really any part of his life for that matter.

Would the news he received change that or re-affirm it? Would it matter either way?

Without really thinking about it he glanced towards the door, a sort of hopeful glint shining in his eye.

Dakora: Will Rob-- ::He caught himself.:: –Lieutenant Hopper be coming to go over the results?

Lohani poured each of them a cup of tea and then sauntered back to the head of the table.

Lohani: I’m afraid not. I figured you’d be less distracted that way. But she has given me the results of the testing, which I have reviewed carefully.

Lohani: As I said yesterday – the decision of what to do with your title, to accept or refuse, is yours to make… It’s not a decision to be made lightly, so I expect you’ll want to take some time to consider your options.

A small smile began to creep across her face as she walked around the table towards Talos, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Lohani: But we can’t have you making an uninformed choice, can we? It’s my pleasure to share with you that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, our genetic testing has confirmed your matrilineal connection to the Vananth Household – and thus, the choice is yours… cousin.

Talos’ mouth fell open as he tried to say something, but only managed a sort of squeaky sound, then closed it again.

With a casual elegance she’d dropped the news that would one way or another, change his life forever. He had a million questions and they all entered his mind at once, overriding each other and threatening to spin his thoughts out into a long-winded tirade of rapid-fire questions.

Dakora: That’s… unexpected…

Lohani brushed a hand through his hair in an almost-maternal gesture, smiling at him before turning and walking back around to the head of the table.

Lohani: I thought it might be.  ::Tilting her head::  Take your time.

Talos’ mind continued reeling.

Though in recent years, he’d managed to keep himself out of trouble and become a somewhat decorated and semi-respectable Starfleet Intelligence Officer, his service record was far from spotless. Somehow, his personal life was even less spotless; some of the things he’d done and had done to him over the years could keep the tabloids busy for months if they ever surfaced.

He’d been a Marine, he’d executed combat jumps from dropships in low-orbit, and he’d taken lives in the defense of others when duty had required it. What would that mean now?

He realized he’d been silent for some time and finally spoke.

Dakora: I’m sorry, this is just a lot to take in. ::He took a deep breath.:: I’m a Starfleet Officer… is that– ::He caught himself.:: –Would that be allowed? If I decided to accept it, I mean…

Lohani laughed, a warm and boisterous laugh, free of any hint of malice or suspicion for the first time since Talos had met her.

Lohani: ::Still amused::  My poor boy, you really don’t know your Betazoid traditions at all, do you? Many Daughters and Sons of Noble Houses serve – either in the mother world’s Planetary Defense Force, or in Starfleet. Perhaps you’ve heard of Lt. Commander Kalia Qinn, Rear Admiral Andrus Jaxx, Lt. Commander Wil Ukinix – who, I might add, is the Starfleet Attaché aboard this very station… need I go on?

Again, he nodded. Admittedly, he’d never paid much attention to the the Betazed upper-class; it had never seemed relevant. But he supposed it made sense that some of them would be driven to serve, even if they’d been high-born.

His brow furrowed.

Dakora: I guess I’d never given it much thought. ::He shifted in his chair.:: After my mother died during the war, I… I guess I sort of withdrew from it all. If it reminded me of home, it reminded me of her…

When he returned his gaze to her face, it seemed to soften just a little.

Lohani: Take what time you need, clear your head, and work out what seems best to you. Now that I know we’re family, my door will always be open to you – ::a knowing roll of her eyes::  though I may, at times, be several weeks away…

A slight smile bloomed on his face at this.

Dakora: Then I appreciate this first bit of advice. ::He laughed.:: Clearly, I’ve got some catching up to do.

Lohani: Before I leave you to your own devices, I’d like to share something very special with you. Whether you should choose to accept your connection to our divine ancestry or not, it’s your birthright to own a piece of Betazed’s history in your heart and soul.

She tapped the lid of the ornate box once more, then waved for Talos to come over.

He rose and approached cautiously.

Dakora: What is it?

Opening the lid slowly, Lohani revealed, sitting atop a pair of velvet cushions within the softly-lined chest, a set of two bronze-toned masks made of ancient metal, beautifully preserved. Each depicted a smiling face,

Lohani: The Exalted Masks of Rixx – heirlooms of our House, worn by the ancient hero, Khrysaros, and his nephew, Rixx, during the celebrations that followed Karawati’s salvation. They represent the Heart and Life of Betazed, which we are charged to protect and enrich…

Talos was momentarily speechless. He may have been out of touch with the latest gossip of Betazed Nobles, but even he recognized the significance of such culturally important items.

They were artifacts straight out of the historical texts, not something an up-and-coming Starfleet Officer would ever be fortunate enough to lay eyes on.

Despite himself, he felt his eyes go just the slightest bit misty.

Dakora: I don’t know what to say. ::He took a deep breath.:: They’re beautiful. Not the kind of thing someone like me would have ever expected to see in-person.

Lohani: No, indeed – although until now, “someone like you” has meant something rather different, hasn’t it?  ::A pause for that to sink in::  These artifacts are held in sacred trust by the Sixth House of Betazed and we do not take their care lightly. It seems, at least, you understand their significance.

Talos grinned sheepishly. For a very long time he'd felt unmoored and alone. His mother was gone and his relationship with his father had been strained for decades.

The idea that he was a part of something bigger, that he could feel like he belonged anywhere other than on the crew of a Starship was new and more than a little exhilarating.

Dakora: I do. And I’m having trouble expressing how grateful I am that you’ve shared this with me. Thank you, Daughter Vananth-Polgonz.

Fortunately, there were other ways of expressing himself. He had no doubt Lohani could sense just how embarrassingly sentimental the moment had made him feel.

Lohani: No need… Just remember this feeling – this sense of connection to something greater. That, Talos, is what the Houses of Betazed are all about.  ::Glancing back at the masks::  Whether you believe the folklore or not, the House of Heart and Life is here to keep that spirit within all Betazoids kindled…

As she closed the ornate chest and refastened the mechanisms, Talos couldn't help but see her in a different light.

Dakora: I want you to know that I really appreciate this. ::He gestured to the chest.:: Not just that, but for your patience in guiding me through this process. ::His dark gaze found hers.:: I won't forget it.

He knew he was a very small player in her world, but he meant it. If at some point he could return the favor, he would.

Lohani: ::Chuckling::  You’re welcome.

In a gesture of respect, he shifted to telepathic communication.

Dakora: ~~ Thank you. ~~ ::He smiled.:: ~~ For everything. I hope it isn’t too long before our paths cross again. ~~

Lohani: ~~ Agreed. Let the next family reunion not take another twenty five years, hmm? ~~

As Talos left the conference room, he couldn’t help but feel as though this excursion to the Delta Quadrant was an inflection point in his life. Whether he decided to accept the title or fully eschew his heritage once and for all, he knew that one way or another, he’d be coming away from this ordeal a slightly different person than he’d been.

Maybe that was a good thing.

TBC in part 6/6…

Lt. Talos Dakora

Chief Intelligence Officer