Ens Hiro Jones - To Protect the World From Devestation

notyourfrog

Apr 12, 2023, 11:08:07 AM4/12/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Ground Zero, Da’al ))

Jones: You said something about a command center near here, Lieutenant?

Yellir: The one we passed when we landed the shuttle— five-hundred meters north of our position.

Wow. It felt like that was a lifetime ago. Hiro looked around at the fencing he and the rest of the team had erected just that morning as though it was the ruins of some ancient civilization.

Jovenan: There’s still quite a lot of the Da’allium dust in the air. ::pause:: I’ll keep scanning it for comparison after we’re done.

Jones: We should probably be constantly scanning for approaching Da'al too. Until we're done here, they're still very much a threat.

Jovenan adjusted her scans, and Hiro did the same. The more eyes they had scanning the better.

Yellir: Let’s also be sure to keep an eye out.

Yeah, those eyes too.

Jovenan: I’m not scanning any Da’al on our path, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be any.

Yellir: Has the Da’allium spread outwards beyond the crater at all?

Jovenan: Hmm, I’m not reading any; the sensors on the Artemis might be better suited for that. Gallium is heavy, but I’d be surprised if none was catapulted to the upper atmosphere by the meteor blast. ::frown:: The Da’al might have to deal with Da’allium rain for some time, unless it breaks down before that due to the distance to the Da’al.

Jones: It looks like there was a bit of a cascade event with the Hopper-bomb. I would have thought this area would be loaded with Da'allium, but ...

He really didn't want to jinx their operation by saying something like, "looks like we caught a break," or "things seem to be going our way. Yippee!" He didn't believe in fate, but why tempt it?

Yellir: All right. Then let’s get going. Not a moment to waste.

Walking north toward the command center, Hiro felt a growing discomfort. It was extremely quiet here. The sense of loss this planet and its people had suffered over the course of a single week was staggering. He was familiar with loss and grief, but this was on a whole other level. He wondered what the lasting effects of this compound tragedy would be for the Da'al. He wondered how they would even decide where to start rebuilding.

Jovenan: I’m reading Da’al signs to the north-east. ::pause:: Is that the command post or unwanted guests?

Confirmed. The blips on Hiro's tricorder showed a small group of Da'al life signs approximately 150 meters east of the command center. That was near the medical tent. Again, he remembered it as if it the way one remembers a story from childhood.

Jones: That's the medical tent. I wonder if they left wounded behind when the Da'allium kicked in.

Yellir: Response

Jones: Wounded or not, they could still pose a threat if they've been swept up by the madness.

Jovenan / Yellir: Responses

The trio continued, now with a more cautious stride. Soon, they'd made it to the command tent, but Hiro couldn't visually see the Da'al in the medical tent. The tricorder showed they were there, but whoever the were and whatever their condition, they weren't showing themselves. It made Hiro uneasy to be so close to potentially violent individuals, but they had to see this through. It was the surest way to help.

The Yellikan lieutenant resorted to hand signs, directing Hiro and Jovenan to collect the needed components. Hiro stepped close and chanced a whispered question

Jones: What's the play here? I still haven't seen any movement from the medical area. Probably best to not push our luck?

Yellir: response

Hiro suddenly wished every piece of equipment was coated in rubber. Every tiny click and clank of the gathered devices made his heart jump and his eyes flit back to the medical tent, searching for signs of having been overheard. So far however, all was still and quiet.

Yellir gave the sign to move out, back toward the closest barrier emitter. They were daisy-chained, so any work do for their purposes. It made sense for speed to use the closest emitter, but Hiro would have liked to put more distance between them and the unseen Da'al.

Hallia got to work almost as soon as they reached the cylindrical device. Hiro and Jovenan carefully set down their armloads, then took up guard positions behind the Chief Engineer. Tricorder in one hand, phaser in the other, Hiro glanced at Jovenan.

Jones: ::whispered:: You holding up ok?

Jovenan: response

Jones: Yeah. I'm really ready to be back on the ship. I've never wanted a shower so badly in my life.

Jovenan / Yellir: responses

To free up his hands, Hiro holstered both tricorder and phaser (feeling a bit like an ancient gunslinger as he did so simultaneously), then squatted down the remove the modified stasis device from the duffel they'd brought. Handing it up to Yellir, Hiro watched as she moved it into position and began the connections.

Again, every click made him jump. This latest got not only his attention, but apparently fates ... and whoever was in the medical tent. A head poked around the post propping up the makeshift roofing. The hair was caked with dust and hung down into the man's eyes, but didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. The unkempt head turned this way and that, almost as though it was scenting for them. When he turned in their direction, there was no hesitation. He ran from the tent, heading straight for them.

Yalavvi: YOU'RE TRYING TO STEAL MY BLUEPRINTS!!

Jones: Incoming!

Jovenan / Yellir: Responses

Tag/TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones, MD
USS Artemis-A, Medical
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius