Cadet Gila Sadar - On the clock

Michelle Pehrson Dupont

Jun 28, 2023, 2:54:54 PM6/28/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( Bridge, USS Artemis ))

MacKenzie: There’s also an important point we’re overlooking: how did they get here? They weren’t on board when we left Meranuge, so they had to have come aboard sometime between then and now… when we weren’t paying attention. This means they must have a ship out there somewhere, and we’re currently flying blind.

Silveira: They have likely been following us, and would have gotten onboard when I fired the first time, or around the same time Commander Dakora’s team. ::A reassuring smile was offered.:: But I am thinking of a few unconventional things we can do to find them out there.

MacKenzie: ::smirking:: I thought you might. Well, at least we still have shields and a somewhat-functioning weapons system.

How these two people were capable of smiling at this point in time, it was a wonder... It wasn't that they didn't realize the gravity of the situation, nor that they found enjoyment in it. Or...

At least, Gila hoped not. She really hoped not.

Silveira: Yes Captain. Although the upper port phasers aren't yet functional. But we have enough to defend ourselves.

The Captain placed her hands on her hips, indicating that it was approaching ‘go-time’. On one hand, Gila was afraid to get to it - once they actually started implementing plans, that meant there was a possibility for mistakes - but on the other hand, she just wanted all of this over with. For better or worse… Preferably better.

MacKenzie: We need to get the gas neutralized, rescue Dakora’s team, get word to the Berlin, find whoever is sabotaging the ship, and not get blown up in the process. (beat) Any questions?

Sadar: No sir.

Savel: ::without looking up from his console:: None, Captain.

Jovenan shook her head.

Silveira: None Captain.

Yalu/Kader: Response

The briefing was over, and the group of officers immediately started fragmenting into smaller groups, indicating the time had come to put their plans into motion. Part of that, of course, involved Gila and the blonde science officer getting to work on a counter for the Anesthezine. Gila slowly floated towards the science console, and her new work partner.

The Science Officer smiled at her, and Gila attempted a reciprocation, but even she could feel how stiff it was.

Jovenan: Hello! I’m Jovenan, from the Science department. Welcome aboard!

Sadar: Th-Thank you Lieutenant. I’m Gila Sadar.

Gila briefly worried if she should’ve been more elaborate - at least a ‘nice to meet you’ - but Jovenan turned to face the science console and the two of them got to work. The Lieutenant opened a map of Decks 5-7 on the interface, and just as Gila had suspected, the area was far too large… And yet, they had to do something. Prolonged exposure to that much Anesthezine this long? She worried for the other crewmembers.

Jovenan: This is the, uh, affected area. The computer core runs through across all three decks, with its surroundings occupied by other amenities, including the ship’s lounge, the sickbay, several crew and ::voice crack:: family quarters.

Family… The word turned to ash in Gila's mouth, but she attempted to power through. She had a job to do.

Sadar: We’re on a clock. The gas was released just over an hour ago, but without a purity sample, I can’t tell how much danger the trapped crewmen might be in. Do we still have sensors or transporter-

The sound of the Vulcan officer interrupted her, and she turned to look over at him.

Savel: Until Lt. Osuna can be located and retrieved to assume his position as Chief of Security, I will continue in my capacity as the interim. The Artemis is officially at security condition four. Everyone will need to discard their training phasers and retrieve live weapons.

Gila’s pale white face grew paler at the idea of carrying weapons.

Savel: I recommend they be kept on stun until more intelligence can be gathered about our enemy. I have notified the security center of our current situation. All security patrols are currently switching to the same.

Jovenan: ::to Sadar:: I’ll, uh, fetch you one as well.

Stun setting… Every instinct in her body was fighting the idea. She’d taken combat courses at the Academy, she reminded herself - of course, she' barely passed - but that was irrelevant.

She could feel the overwhelming panic and nausea in her stomach as she slowly reached for the extended phaser, trembling fingers gripping it.

Sadar: Th-Thank you, Sir…

She wondered how much the Lieutenant knew of Mizarians… She wondered if she would even be able to pull the trigger.

Jovenan: So, we’d need to vent the gas to the Quarantine section and solidify it or use Nalo… what was the other chemical you mentioned? I’m not familiar with all medicines, can you tell me more about it?

Sadar: Oh, uh… :swallows: Naloxone is the compound we use to treat overdoses of opioid-based anesthetics and sedatives. It’ll bind itself to the opioid molecules in the Anesthezine, making them harmless to organics… For a time.

Gila sighed, twisting the dark stone ring on her finger.

Jovenan: Response?

Sadar: Naloxone’s half-life is shorter than Anesthezine’s. Eventually, the blocking components degrade too much to hold on, and they’ll be discarded from the opioid and evaporate. But, that’s not our top concern right now.

Jovenan: Response.

Sadar: Yes sir. Do we have an open com-link with Sickbay? If the environmental controls there still function, people may have sought shelter there. We should ensure the Quarantine Suites are empty before we start working on the relocation of the Anesthezine.

Jovenan: Response.

TAG/TBC

Ensign Gila Sadar
Medical Officer