LtJG Hiro Jones - Catharsis

notyourfrog

Jul 24, 2023, 1:56:41 PM7/24/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Sensor Pod, USS Artemis-A ))

To use a very scientific and technical term, the sensor pod was "cool as hell." Jovenan had shown Hiro several impressive tools, but the one that really captured his imagination and interest was the TOV suit. The thought of using probes to see from several perspectives brought a monster to mind from his fantasy hologames. It was basically a big eye with a mouth and a bunch of eyestalks coming out of the top. They were almost always bad news in the game, but Hiro had often wondered what the world would look like through so many eyes at once. For that reason, he would forever refer to the TOV suit as "The Beholder."

Jones: So, what kind of range can the user see?

Jovenan: Uh, it depends by the probe, I guess. New interstellar probes with proper subspace communicators can be controlled, uh, some five lightyears away without significant delay. After that it gets too laggy and it’s better to just wait the telemetry by a console. Older probes and those only for planetary studies have much shorter ranges, maybe not even across the system.

He decided to press the issue from earlier. Maybe it was nothing ...

Jones: Not quite home then, huh?

She sighed and turned away. oO Uh oh. Did I step in something? Oo Taking some of the edge of the otherwise pointed question, he course corrected a bit to bring the homesickness into his own experience.

Jones: Sometimes the distance between wherever our orders take us and Chicago gets to me. It's a comfort to know I have friends around if I feel lonely or homesick.

Turning back to him, Jovenan gave Hiro a small smile. There was something there - he was sure of it. He kept a neutral but comforting expression as he waited for her to speak.

Jovenan: I… I’m also comfortable with you and many others of the crew. When I joined, I was truly terrified of everyone, especially those with more than one pip, but now… Now you’re all my friends. I care about you all.

Jones: That was one of the things that frightened me most last mission: the thought of people I care about in danger. Aside from the selfish aspect they make me feel like I'm not so far from home, if any of you were terribly injured ... or worse ... I don't know. I don't like the prospect.

Jovenan: Starfleet really is a commitment. We all know what we signed for, and we have all chosen this life. ::pause, ponders:: Actually, that sounded awful. Let me… try again.

Jones: You're fine. You don't have to share anything you don't want to. I know it can be difficult, but I hope you know I'm a safe person to talk to.

Jovenan: I know how you feel. In my home region, communal families are the norm. If you grow and live with the same people, they are your family, regardless of blood relations. Everyone in your community was a sibling to you, or a child, parent, or grandparent. And that’s what we are. Losing one of you or seeing one of you get hurt would hurt me just as much as losing a sibling or a parent.

There are times where no matter what you say, it will be the wrong thing. There are times when the only right way to communicate is without words. There are times when people don't need to be told you care - they want to feel you care. Hiro reached out his hand and gently placed it on his friend's shoulder, squeezing reassuringly.

Jovenan: ::holds back tears:: You… You all have become a family to me. At this point, maybe more so than my old family. I am with you every single day, have been for months now. Meanwhile, I haven’t… I haven’t… ::wipes tears, difficult to speak:: I haven’t seen my family back home… back on the home planet for… for more than five years now! A fifth of my life!

Jones: Family can look like a lot of different things. There's an Earth saying a lot of people take out of context. They shorten it to, "Blood is thicker than water," meaning your biological family is most important. Thing is, that's not the whole saying. It goes, "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb." It means almost the exact opposite. While our birth relatives will always be important, often times it's the people - the family we choose that form tighter bonds.

Hiro was caught off guard as his blonde, Edo friend launched herself into his arms. She wrapped him in a hug, buried her face in his shoulder, and sobbed. Hiro enveloped her in his own arms, and resting his cheek on her hair, let her cry. There was no, "There, there. don't cry," or shushing. Tears are an incredible gift to those of us who feel pain, sadness, and grief. To deny them when it is entirely appropriate for them to flow is to deny ourselves a form of expression and release that can be incredibly healing.

Rather than attempt to soothe away the tears, Hiro let Jovenan cry as long as she needed to, rubbing her back gently to let her know he understood, and she was safe. Eventually, her tears had done their work. She pulled away from him, wiping her face. Hiro could feel the wet spot on his shirt, but it barely registered. Her face looked much lighter than it had before her catharsis. It brought an empathetic smile to his lips.

Jovenan: Ugh, sorry for being such a cry-baby, brothe―

Her tone changed like a switch. She stepped back from him, going somewhat pale. What was the problem? Did this have to do with the Edo legal code? Was it her nearly calling him "brother" that upset her so? Wait ... she almost called him her brother. Hiro nearly cried himself at the realization. Now however, was not the right time for tears. Jovenan's eyes were wide with disbelief at whatever she'd done.

Jovenan: ::shocked:: I… I am… sorry, I didn’t mean… It was a force of habit… So sorry… I was being inappropriate!

oO Oh, it was the hug!? Oo

Hiro reached out to her with both hands. He wasn't really sure what he was about to do or say. Timing was critical, and he didn't want hesitation to be the fly in the ointment. His hands met her shoulders, squaring her up with him. Her eyes were still large and somewhat shocked, but the caginess seemed to be ebbing away. He spoke softly, calmly but firmly, adopting a mannerism his mom would use when she wanted to be sure of making a point.

Jones: Jovenan, listen very carefully. One: You never ever have to apologize for being your genuine self with me. I will never judge you for it, hold it against you, or think any less of you for it. I will always be someone with whom you can be free and honest, ok? That's a promise. Two: I never had any siblings. I didn't really even have many friends until fairly recently. I'm thrilled to be called your friend, and it is the highest honor I can think to be called your brother.

Jovenan: Response

He pulled her into another hug, feeling closer to home than he had in years. A few breaths or several minutes later, they separated again. Hiro scratched the back of his neck, unsure as to how to change the subject to lighter matters.

Jones: So, can we play with the Beholder, or would you like to get a drink?

Jovenan: Response

TAG/TBC? ((OOC - We can end this here if you'd prefer. I'm happy either way))

USS Artemis-A, Counselor
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius