Ensign Jovenan – To denounce the evils (of truth and love!)

Jovenan

Apr 13, 2023, 3:40:33 PM4/13/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Ground Zero, Tecra, Da’al))

Jovenan walked closer to the Ground Zero command post together with Doctor Jones and Lieutenant Yellir. The once great city was eerily silent, with only their steps and the flickering force field behind them making any sound. She looked down to her tricorder every now and then. It was recording the Da’allium counts in the air in the background, but also looking for any Da’al biosignatures ahead. All the Da’al were a threat to them for as long as they allowed the chemical float around the atmosphere.

Then, the tricorder bleeped.

Jovenan: I’m reading Da’al signs to the north-east. ::pause:: Is that the command post or unwanted guests?

Jones also looked into his device.

Jones: That's the medical tent. I wonder if they left wounded behind when the Da'allium kicked in.

Yellir: If they’re wounded they won’t be much of a threat. But we should keep our wits about us.

Jones: Wounded or not, they could still pose a threat if they've been swept up by the madness.

Jovenan almost responded that she wished they were too badly injured to come after them, but that would have been too cruel. Sure, it would have been convenient for them, but these people were still innocent to their condition and would still need treatment after they had liberated them from the aggression dust.

Jovenan: ::quietly:: Let’s hope they don’t hear us, then.

They’re pace got even slower. The Chief Engineer seemed to be walking on tiptoes, and Jovenan considered removing her shoes for a better effect. There was no movement anywhere, whoever was in the tent hadn’t yet come out to see them. The Lieutenant pointed at directions from where they could find components, and Jones stepped closer to whisper something to the Lieutenant.

Jones: What's the play here? I still haven't seen any movement from the medical area. Probably best to not push our luck?

Yellir: ::quietly:: We need to move quickly, alerting the occupants would be a very bad idea. Grab what we can, and get out. No unnecessary risks.

Jovenan opted not to voice that she understood the order but gave a nod and pointed her thumb up. Thumb up, a human gesture Jovenan had learnt in the University of Hurkos course “History of Humans”, it apparently meant anything from “good job” to being a generic sign of approval. It had apparently something to do with deciding whether combatants in ancient “kill for fun” type games were allowed to live in the end. Learning about humans and their past made Jovenan want to avoid them for a while.

The Chief Engineer listed the required components, and Jovenan and Jones went on for a search. It was difficult enough to tell a part apart from another, but they also needed to move and pick them up as soundlessly as they could in order not to wake up any nearby angry Da’al. Once again reflecting onto something she learnt in the University of Hurkos, this time the “Introduction to the Human literature” course, where they were told about the long-lasting craze about something called zombies. Jovenan felt like one the survivors in those stories as she carefully lowered the components, she found for the Lieutenant to use.

Or maybe they were more like ancient human exorcists, denouncing evil spirits from possessed people?

That done, all they needed to do was give the Lieutenant some peace to make engineering magic. Jones had his phaser out, and Jovenan, after some hesitation, took hers out as well. She didn’t want to shoot anybody, not even the Da’al that might be attacking them. It would be the first time she would use one against a person, not in a shooting range or on a holodeck, and she would be using the weapon against a person who was innocent in their hearth yet merely a passenger on their own body. The thought made her uneasy, and it probably showed.

Jones: ::whispered:: You holding up ok?

Jovenan: ::quietly, slightly nervous:: Y-yeah… I guess. Didn’t just expect it to go like this.

Jones: Yeah. I'm really ready to be back on the ship. I've never wanted a shower so badly in my life.

Jovenan didn’t know if she should chuckle at the last remark or not, but considering their attempt to remain unnoticed, she opted to stand still and stay silent.

 Yellir: Pass me the stasis device. This’ll go faster if i have an extra hand.

Jones left her and went to help the Lieutenant. Jovenan looked briefly behind her to see if they needed more help, and then turned to face the silent and still background. Maybe they could finish the work and pacify everybody before they got found…

Yalavvi: YOU'RE TRYING TO STEAL MY BLUEPRINTS!!

A Da’al man, unkempt and dirty, ran out of the medical tent and straight towards them while shouting something nonsensical. It was clear that he was under the effect of the Da’allium, delirious and hostile. Jovenan could feel her heart race the man in speed.

Jones: Incoming!

Yellir: Do your best to keep them away, I’m nearly done!

Jovenan: ::quietly, nervous:: S-stop… ::loudly, more determined:: STARFLEET! HALT, OR I OPEN FIRE!

There was phaser fire. Jovenan was so anxious she wasn’t sure if she had been the one to shoot first, or if it had been Jones. She felt like not in control of herself, her body doing something reactive in order to carry on whatever bodies do when they’re given the choice.

Then, she heard a mighty roar, and she jumped a bit on her spot. Did the Da’al roar? Did they have trained animals to attack them?

No, a person joined them, shooting at aggressive people pouring out of the medical tents. She was a Caitian, a Starfleet officer, and blueshirt! Jovenan hadn’t expected that plot twist at all, but for now, she needed to concentrate on keeping the Lieutenant and her device safe.

Jones: Response

Yellir: Initiating the pulse!

The Edo had natively very few diseases. They also had very potent immunity against diseases common among other species. Jovenan could only recall having stomach flu once in her life, and even then, it was quickly cured in the infirmary. This was nearly the second time she vomited, but she could hold on with her nausea and the hammering pain in her head for the few seconds it took for the pulse to run through the city.

The unknown officer was quickly on her feet.

Lorana: Here I thought we’d be collecting samples and nursing scrapes. Is it always this exciting?

Jovenan: ::slightly nauseated:: Y-yeah – ugh. Thank you, um, Ensign?

Looking closer to the taller Caitian, Jovenan still didn’t recognize her. She didn’t remember ever seeing her on the Artemis nor the Excalibur either, not in person or in the crew manifest. Had somebody sent another ship to assist them? Or was she one of the new ensigns they were receiving? Jovenan had already met Ensigns Kader and Savel, but maybe there were more of them.

Jones/Yellir/Lorana: Response

Okay, she was new. Jovenan looked around. This was hardly the best place for introductions.

Jovenan: Well, welcome to the ship then! I’m Jovenan, but we can probably discuss more about ourselves when we get back up. ::to Yellir:: Did the device work?

Jones/Yellir/Lorana: Response

Jovenan walked closer to the Da’al man they had stopped from reaching them. The phasers had been set to a low level, so they could be waking up soon. She crouched next to him, and slightly moved his head. The pulse might have triggered a vomit reflex even for an unconscious person, and there was a risk they might inhale their own vomit and drown. Probably one of the least dignified ways to go, but at least they would be unconscious for the entire time.

Jovenan: Are you awake, sir? Can you hear me?

Yalavvi: Response

Jones/Yellir/Lorana: Response

TAG/TBC
----