Ensign Kuva - New Spaces

Nicholas Tardive

Jul 21, 2023, 8:51:07 PM7/21/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Deck 15; Engineering—USS Artemis-A))

He still needed some time to get used to the Artemis, but being on any spaceship at all still felt like home. oO Such a human concept. Like home. Oo Yet how human was he, after spending almost a decade on earth? Or maybe that was why a starship felt like home. Because earth wasn't.

Kuva's father rarely found the time to take him to Vulcan. The old Bolian Wono once said Sorev intended for Kuva to attend the Science Academy—and then...

oO Have I so much free time—to lament? Or is this what it means, to be lost in work? Oo the Vulcan glared with a furrowed brow at his console, monitoring the warp core's deutirium/anti-deutirium levels and reporting energy fluctuations as he lamented.

Lorana: Ensign Kuva?

Kuva: ::looking up from his console, brow still furrowed in contemplation:: Yes?

Lorana: It's nice to see you in a much safer space! Let me officially introduce myself :: extends a paw :: Ensign Luxa Lorana.

Kuva: ::shaking her paw with a grateful strength:: Thank you. Well, actually, considering official Starfleet casualty records, an officer has been 78.28193% more susceptible to death or debilitating injury in engineering incidents and malfunctions than in the line of fire by an enemy.

Lorana: :: nods :: Of course. I wasn't trying to say that engineering wasn't dangerous. Warp core breaches are serious things, and well no one wants to fall into a warp field and … well, anyway, I was looking for Lieutenant Yellir's office?

Kuva: ::pointing, right arm fully outstretched in the direction of the office:: The Lieutenant's office is that way.

Lorana: Thanks. Bye.

With that social interaction expertly navigated, Kuva looked back down to his console, with only work on his mind.

Lorana: Kuva?

Kuva: :looking back up:: Ensign Lorana?

Lorana: Would you like to join me on a visit to Spacedock later? I know it's kind of strange being on a new ship for the first time, and not knowing anyone. I'd for sure love the company.

Kuva: ::bobbing his head in consideration, bushy brow moving from furrowed in frustration to peaked in interest:: That would be acceptable, ensign—I thank you for your offer. Would - say - 2000 Hours work for you?

Lorana: Response

As the Caitian strode off again in the direction of Lt. Yellir's office, Kuva nodded to himself, recalling his father, Sorev's, words. oO Friendship is subjective; allyship is logical. Oo Who needed an ally more than a new face, in a new space? Oo

((Promenade—Cait Spacedock, ~2000 Hours))

Still in his Starfleet uniform - he wore it almost as a badge of pride - Kuva waited patiently just by the entrance to the Spacedock's promenade, hands clasped behind him and pressed against the small of his back.

Cait's Spacedock was aflutter with activity, full of life as people floated between shopping and eating and drinking and otherwise making generic, human merry.

He'd spent several minutes lurking around a central map, which flickered between various, holographic advertisements followed by the necessary directions to seek out whatever appealed most to the specific consumer. Kuva considered each location with a grim seriousness. Then, from the corner of his assessing Vulcan eye, he noticed the Caitian slink into view.

Ensign Lorana was prompt in meeting him near the Promenade, which Kuva duly appreciated. He acknowledged her with a brief nod, hands still clasped behind his back.

Kuva: Ensign Lorana, thank you again for inviting me to visit Cait's Spacedock—it's got that lovely, classic Starfleet architecture. Have you been before?

Lorana: Response

Kuva: :nodding, listening intently:: I see. Well it seems the station offers quite the mix of Caitian and human selections; I've dabbled enough in the terran of late—is there anything Caitian you might recommend any other species need try? Food, drink, book, what have you...

Lorana: Response

Kuva: That would be most acceptable. And might I add, I noticed there is a Ferengi bar aboard the station, run by a, uhm, Grugg. My father and his friend often spoke fondly of a Ferengi establishment they used to visit in the Bajoran sector. Perhaps we could add that to our itinerary as well? If we've time, of course.

Lorana: Response

Kuva: Wonderful. ::extending his arm out in the right direction:: Lead the way, ensign.

Lorana: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Kuva

Engineering