Ensign Gnai - Please Sir, I Studied Klingon At The Academy...

Lich

Mar 1, 2024, 11:36:25 PMMar 1
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Administrative Building, Ki Baratan, Romulus))

As soon as Gnai had been introduced - if only briefly - to the others in the room, the door had opened, revealing a startled Romulan civilian who promptly had decided, it seemed, that such a diplomatic undertaking as taking down four Starfleet officers was far above his paygrade. Almost as soon as he had appeared, the Romulan was darting back the way he had come, with the team of Starfleet officers hot on his tail.

Sadar: He’s running, Sir!

Adea: After him!

Gnai didn't groan, as such vocalizations were alien to it, but its whole body pulsed with color, as it ran along with the rest of the team as fast as its suit could take it. Well. As fast as its suit could take it without it being jostled too much into the walls of the tank.

Jovenan: On it!

Gnai: Aye, sir!

The Romulan took to the stairs, taking them two at a time as he rushed down the way he had come. Gnai watched the descent, bobbing in its tank with each stride as its suit rushed towards the stairs, following close behind Lt. Jovenan.

Sadar: No no no no no no-

Much to Gnai's surprise, the Lieutenant (that it had not gotten the name of) tumbled rear-over-teakettle, landing down the stairs in front of the Romulan. It was impressed at the accuracy of such an accidental move, and Gnai pushed its suit to go just that little bit faster to catch up with Lt. Jovenan, the unnamed and unfortunate Lieutenant, and the now doubly stunned Romulan civilian. One had to suspect that Mizarians raining from the sky was not something that he had expected when he woke up this morning.

Jovenan: Gila!

With all the commotion of the chase and subsequent fall, Gnai was no longer worried about its suit's speakers alerting more Romulans to their presence. In lieu of knowing the officer's proper address, Gnai opted just to use her rank. Hopefully that was the correct move! In the past, it had made enough mistakes assuming things about names. Everyone seemed to have a different standard for how they wished to be addressed, depending on species, culture, rank, relationship... It left Gnai's mind spinning, trying to puzzle it all out sometimes.

Gnai: Lieutenant!

With a crack, the Romulan collapsed under a blow from Commander Adea's cane. Gnai was thankful that this whole encounter had been dealt with, and that it hadn't been forced to jump into a fray.

Adea: Sorry about that.

Jovenan: Gila, are you alright?

Gnai watched, standing back from the others. Not only was it new here, but it was also still unaccustomed to humanoid biology and medical practices. It would just be getting in the way. Best to let them all sort it out.

Sadar: Response

The commander took his time to look at each of the other officers, and Gnai stood ready once again, anticipating some sort of order.

Adea: Jovenan, Gnai, grab our friend here and take him back in that room. I saw a locker we can stuff him in for now. Gila - let me have a look at that cheek.

Carrying a body was certainly within its wheelhouse. It watched as Lt. Jovenan turned to look at it, pulsing with dim light.

Jovenan: Aye. ::to Gnai:: How strong are you in that suit? Can you lift his legs if I take the upper body?

Gnai: Yes. This suit can carry that much weight.

Sadar: Response

Gnai felt no effort, even as its suit leaned down to pick up the legs of the Romulan, grabbing one leg in each arm. Perks of being confined to a tank, it gathered. The limbs of the suit looked weak, but they had enough mechanical strength to lift him, with the assistance of another. In concert with Lt. Jovenan, Gnai helped carry the Romulan back up the stairs that he had fled down briefly. Slowly and carefully, they made it back to the room.

Jovenan: Our team ended up on Betazed first. It was another timeline, where the Dominion ::huffs from physical strain:: Dominion occupation lasted even though it was, um, 2375 or -76. We then found a portal here. It should be 2374 in here.

Gnai: ::as stunned as can be conveyed through its speakers:: Twenty-three... seventy-four...

It had, in the eyes of most humanoids, been 'born' in this year. In fact, rather than being born, it had budded off of another unknown Galadoran in this year - the perfect clone of its 'parent' in every way possible. Either way, this was the year that it had come to life for the first time.

Jovenan: Yeah. That would mean that the rest of the crew can be anywhere in time and space. It’s a terrifying thought… How, um, how are you faring?

Gnai: This is... fine? Well...? Given the circumstances. ::a few tendrils flare out:: This was... not what was expected, sir.

The locker was exactly where Gnai had recalled seeing it, along the side of the room. The Romulan was deposited within it, and Gnai watched as he was propped up on his side.

oO Interesting that the position of the Romulan was of concern. Why? Oo

Gnai followed along as they left the room. Jovenan stopped to pick up the discarded PADD, looking it over before handing it to Gnai. It took the PADD hesitantly, looking it over as well as it turned the thing with the robotic hands of its suit. The PADD was an analog to the Federation PADDs used by Starfleet on a daily basis, but smaller and less rectangular, the top coming to a sweeping point. The same use but a different philosophy had turned the shape into something distinct. It held the PADD out in front of its body, studying it.

Jovenan: Do you think you could find something about this building from this? Like, where we could find our disguises or some quiet place?

At her prompting, Gnai tapped at the screen with the robotic hands, trying to pull up information. Without knowing Romulan, however, this was a tall order.

Gnai: This is all in Romulan... ::a bit more tapping::

Sadar/Adea/Jovenan: Response

As the two of them returned to where Commander Adea and the injured Lieutenant (Gila... whether that was a forename or a surname or some other form of name that still confounded Gnai, it didn't know) were, Gnai kept searching through pages and pages of Romulan text.

Gnai: ::tapping paused as it spoke:: Could someone not wear the uniform of the Romulan in the closet?

Sadar/Adea/Jovenan: Response

The Romulan PADD was elusive with its information, each new section access was further text, or irrelevant images. Nothing useful... not until an errant tap deep into a file filled with photographs of what Gnai assumed to be the building itself revealed what looked like at first glance a map. Upon further inspection, however, it was perhaps a floor plan?

Still in Romulan.

Gnai: ::handing the PADD to Jovenan:: This looks useful? Perhaps?

Sadar/Adea/Jovenan: Response

The whole concept of this mission was still shocking to Gnai, as it was still reckoning with the fact that they were in 2374. Was it even alive yet? Certainly, it was now, or, well. Not now. In the future, but also in the past.

Gnai: Is... this what all missions on the Artemis are like, sir?

Sadar/Adea/Jovenan: Response

Tags/TBC

--
Ensign Gnai