Captain Addison MacKenzie - A More Official Welcome

Addison MacKenzie

Apr 27, 2024, 6:20:47 PMApr 27
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Captain’s Ready Room – Deck 1, USS Artemis-A ))

At this point in Addison’s career, she had only ever read about Galadorans in medical texts – she’d never actually seen one until Ensign Gnai was posted to the Artemis. Even still, she was barely aware that the jellyfish-like being would be joining the crew – the transfer orders came in right before their last promotion ceremony on Betazed, and it wasn’t until the red-headed CO came face-to-…face(?) with the new science officer that she gleaned any first-hand experience with what it would be like to interact with it.

She was already familiar with several of the new additions to the senior staff – after all, Gnai and Salkath had been with her as they literally went through hell and back together in a Betazoid prison camp – but that hardly counted as a formal reporting for duty. Surviving and finding a way to escape their imprisonment gave her a distinct impression of their skills, but there was a certain formality that she enjoyed by being able to welcome new members directly and to learn about their backgrounds and interests.

When the door chime rang, Addison turned back in her chair to face the door, clasped her hands, and rested them on the smooth surface of the mahogany desk.

MacKenzie: Come in!

She offered a soft smile as the Galadoran science officer made its way through the door. While Gnai’s appearance was familiar to her, there was still something that surprised her about its suit. The suit didn’t allow for eloquent movement, but the fact that the suit allowed the blob to move in spaces off its home world was in and of itself a matter of engineering mastery.

MacKenzie: Ensign Gnai, thank you for coming. ::gesturing:: Would you please have a seat?

Gnai: Response

Addison unclasped her hands and sat back in her chair.

MacKenzie: I haven’t had the opportunity to officially welcome you aboard the Artemis. Somehow, being imprisoned together in a Betazoid penal colony doesn’t exactly scream “welcome…”

Gnai: Response

Addison cocked her head and offered a slight smirk and look of resignation.

MacKenzie: But, I would say that the experience does seem to be indicative of how things go occasionally aboard this ship… I’m pleased to say that I thought you handled yourself very well despite it being a very trying time.

Gnai: Response

Addison listened to the Galadoran’s relatively monotone voice amplified through its suit’s speakers. She tried to detect any hint of emotion, but perhaps its vocalizer wasn’t capable of projecting emotion. …or perhaps Galadoran’s didn’t have them? She’d have to do more homework…

MacKenzie: So, Ensign, tell me about what prompted you to join Starfleet.

Gnai: Response

Tag, and TBC!

---

Captain Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS
Commanding Officer
USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Member at Large

V239601AM0