Ens Chevalier - Little chemist in Downton Abbey

CPT Arianus

Jan 27, 2024, 10:47:13 AMJan 27
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( The Fifth Chalice - Oxeania Commercial District, Tharazad Continent – Betazed ))

Commander took a sip of wine from his glass, just to finish it as both answered and he could continue with his questioning.

Dakora: Is this either of your first times on Betazed?

Jaseb nodded. For him, he saw a little. Elthari, Bayran, a couple planets around the sector when he was at Academy aboard the SB118. He never
was in the heart of Federation, in the core worlds.

Chevalier: Yes, sir. First visit for me. I believe you are local, sir. Any places you would recommend to visit around? I saw just the leaflet recommendations, so for the next time we will visit this wonderful planet.

Z’Vahme: Response?

Dakora smiled with melancholy. His face was telling the story. Good and bad, he was still in love with this place, with the planet.

Dakora: Yes. I grew up in Medara.::He gestured broadly.:: It’s on the other side of the planet from here. Coastal. It’s nice in the summer. ::He thought for a moment.:: The Mondana nature preserve is a must-see. Kilometers and kilometers of untamed wilderness. If you’re into that sort of thing.

Z’Vahme: Response?

Jaseb followed that recommendation with a smile as well. Sounded good. Sounded nice. Nature, especially on the livable planets – you know, those with actual sun, warm environment, those simply better than frozen, rocky, hopeless wasteland which was covering the underground hive cities buried deep, those which Jaseb called to be a home – was always welcoming change until started to actually annoy Jaseb with life. Oh my, how Jaseb hated insects. Then, he would love to cover that nature with nice, sterile, insect-less concrete...

Chevalier: That
sounds like a good recommendation! I will definitely put it on my visitation list for our next visit of Betazed. Thank you, sir.

As the commander took a breath to answer, everyone's attention was caught by voices and events barely visible out of the corner of his eye.
When the commander turned with the rest of the table, they could witness the reveal of someone that Talos and a few other members of the Artemis crew knew all too well.

Jaseb frozen in pause. As if he struggled to compress the vast being of events down into terms he would understand.

It didn't matter. Commander could. He knew that person, that much could Jaseb see,
as the commander tossed his precious wine.

Dakora: Well, shi-

SNAP

((
Unknown Street - Medara - Betazed – ~2375 ))

Jaseb felt it. A world away the grip on his tightens. A desperate drowning thing that pulled him
from time and space and pulled him down with it.

The Fifth Chalice dissolved into a swirl of color and the scream of a voice in Jaseb's head, screaming in the horror of his damnation, while the swirl spat him out into the street of hopelessness.

Nothing felt right. Time, place, uniforms. Jaseb suppressed the feeling of confusion and the urge to vomit where he stood, and took a deep breath. Savel, Dakora, Z
'Vahme...him, all of them were standing now and here. Father knows why...

Dakora
: Is everyone ok?

Savel:
Physically, I believe so Commander. Otherwise, that is still to be determined.

Chevalier: Really sir? What is this abomination? Can you tell
that whatever to return us our uniforms? This war crime of fashion doesn't match my hair shade of silver I wore for the celebration at all!

Z’Vahme
: Response?

Chevalier
: Whatever...

Chevalier tossed his head as if he were doing a shampoo commercial and twisted his loose hair into a bun, which he tied with a rubber band he conjured from only by Father knows where, before he took a good look at their surroundings –
winding streets in an already crumbling city. Air smelled poisoned by pollution. Felt like home. But warmer and without that annoying pins and needles on skin from byproducts of tetryon radiation decay. Definitely an improvement...

Dakora: That was CloQ. A rogue member of the Q continuum we’ve had the displeasure of dealing with before. ::He sighed.:: I had really hoped we’d seen the last of them.

OO
Ok, Q-what? Oo

Jaseb never heard about Q Continuum. What
was that? Firstly lookalikes, now some snapping time-space-reality changing nuts?

oO Oh no, wait. Q.
Yeeeesss... Oo

His mind finally produced information on matter. He heard about Q. Exact sentences from the Academy were still evading his trying to remember, but it probably didn't matter. He knew one thing for sure. It was a very boring lecture
and he slept through it gladly.

Commander
groaned as he looked at his uniform and Jaseb kept his corner of the mouth down from flying out in satisfaction. But it was satisfying...

Dakora: They are obsessed with time and get a sick sense of satisfaction out of sending us to history’s worst moments. ::His eyes swept the horizon.:: Though this time seems especially personal.

Savel
: I suppose this CloQ doesn't care if it is illogical to subject us to a personal vendetta. ::gesturing to himself and the other Ensigns::

Chevalier: No, Mister Savel, in vendetta, especially
with personal ones, a logic is always an assurance. I saw enough grudges in my life to know there is always someone who wants to see you maimed and dead.

Z'Vahme: Response?

Discussion time was over, as needed to move out of the street. Whatever this reality was, standing unarmed, alone and not knowing what's happening was always bad tactics. Commander obviously knew where they were – in time and place, if not in reality as well – as he started to introduce them all into what they fell into.

Dakora: Right. This is Medara. And judging by our uniforms and those Dominion patrol ships off in the distance, this is the Occupation. ::He frowned.:: But this isn’t right. I was here. I lived through this. It never got this bad. ::He pointed to the smoke-spewing factories:: And those were never there.

Jaseb breathed in a comment and a question, but never got time to
say it out loud either. Another voice got loud as a weirdo over six feet large lizard interrupted their discussion. Wonderful creature of genetic manipulation, the perfection of flesh and blood, something that Jaseb already knew very well from the Academy, because he really paid attention to those particular lectures and what's more, he also took notes...

Jem’Hadar Enforcer: Stop right there!

What would Jaseb
give for at least railpistol from his homeworld. Or phaser, for that matter. But the only thing he had was an impractical and uncomfortable ceremonial uniform from the time when the wheel was a new discovery and bare hands. Even with railpistol he would be thinking twice to resist. With bare hands there was only a single answer. And the commander said it loudly enough.

Dakora: Run!

Savel: A wise plan.

Chevalier: More leg work and less comments, Savel!

Z’Vahme: Response?

All started to run, not knowing where they were going. Everywhere just not here sounded just about right. As they ran, they were trying to search for places to go. Anything was better than staying in the open, especially with Jem'Hadars around. So when they found a narrow alley that cut down the side of a couple of larger, vacant buildings, they took it all in.

Savel: Down here!

Dakora/Z'Vahme: Response?

As they were changing
their directions, and tried to get lost from their pursuer, Jaseb started to feel their pursuer sooner than later will come from the words to more persuading methods like his distruptor. Alive they had a price, of course, but a hole or two in their backs will not diminish it that much...

Jem'Hadar Enforcer: I said stop now!

They didn't want to obey that order, obviously and Savel got shortly lucky enough to find an open door they could cover behind. And they had gone through the door quite voluntarily at that moment.

As they got inside, Savel slammed and locked the door behind them, which could give them a moment or two to breathe. Not even Jaseb hoped for anything more, and as it turned out, he was right. Jem'Hadar crashed
into the door, giving the people inside quite a sign that he knows where they are. He was not that much successful, but also considering how much the plaster had begun to peel off in the door frames and how the dust was gathering, there was no doubt that the door alone would not stop him.

Savel: I will need some assistance!

Jaseb turned from the door to Savel, and saw him trying to push
some storage cabinet to barricade the door. That was quite a good idea. Additional barrier will give them even little more time to actually start to breathe, think and plan what next.

Chevalier: Good idea, Mr. Savel, let's go move it!

Dakora/Z'Vahme: Response?

With much needed help, the storage cabinet blocked the door. It was not something that would please the opposing side and an expected furious
 series of additional blows came as soon as the Jem'Hadar Enforcer tried to break through with nothing but brute force.

Jem'Hadar Enforcer: Arghhh!

Frustrated alien continued for a while with his effort to crush the door and get them captured, but even constantly drugged superstrengthen killing machine
could get tired as the pounding went quiet after a while. As far this was a good sign, it meant on other side that the option Jem'Hadar will call for a back-up risen exponentially.

Jaseb took this short resting chance as the opportunity to check what can be useful for the group. Building was vacant, but that didn
't mean it was empty. Old chairs and tables, posters, the building was previously inhabited. And then finally found something. Cleaning supplies was usually something out of ordinary interest, but now, only what Jaseb saw, was chemicals, and chemicals meant explosives, flammables, acids, poisonous gases and many other funny things, which mix somewhere, someone, for sure, banned a long time ago from being used in the way Jaseb intended them to use.

But on other side - same people banned this little things like a forced labor, summary executions and genocide, and as history about Dominion War told us, Dominion didn't get a memo.

Savel: I recommend we find out where we are, I don't believe the Jem'Hadar will be far behind us.

Chevalier: Wait a second, Mr. Savel, I'm just in the middle of my shopping list. And this should do the magic...

Jaseb dressed out from his ceremonial yellow jacket and used it as a improvised bag on which he started to lay multiple bottles of different chemicals from the janitorial closet. His choice of products was quite 50/50. Half of them looked like they
could be usable in some way, another half had just the right pictograms. And for some reason he even took some rugs and powergoo.

Dakora/Z'Vahme: Response?

Chevalier: Alright,
sir. I'm going now.

As soon the commander confirmed to Vulcan they could continue with nod, Vulcan opened the door to the hallway, which as all hoped, led somewhere else, preferably without Jem'Hadar entourage. As they moved through the hallway, it became more and more obvious that the building was something similar to the community center or public
meet&entertain building. Leaflets around, message board, building layout... but nothing really answered the most pressing questions. Like when exactly they “appeared” and how they will get back.

Savel
: Commander, you said you lived through the Occupation. What is different about where, or rather when, we are now?

oO My thoughts, Mr. Savel. Oo

Jaseb stopped for a moment at reception and quickly searched it, but to his dismay he found nothing that would be a possible source of fire.

Dakora: Response

TAG/TBC

--
Ensign Jaseb Chevalier