MSPNPC Erbil — He’s got the urge to Erbil

Yogan Yalu

Mar 9, 2023, 5:37:36 PM3/9/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Provincial Government Complex, Tecra, Da’al ))

Erbil couldn’t have asked for his Starfleet saviors to arrive at a better time. All of the rabble rousing in the Great Council over which polity to approach for help had overextended the teensy, weensy interim external affairs ministry. Half the factions on this side of the capital were threatening to withdraw from the Council, and the others were threatening to split into ever more factions to give themselves more seats at the negotiating table.

Oh what a mess. Some days, Erbil felt like he was alone amongst the bureaucrats in the Da’al government, because he actually wanted to see his people achieve long-term stability. It was possible for them to be strong and powerful, if only they saw that the benefits of working together far outweighed any short-term gains or extra seats on the Council.

That’s why the Federation’s presence, and theirs alone—not the Klingons or any of the middle powers in the region—was necessary. Erbil didn’t pretend to understand how the Federation managed to make their pluralistic society work, but perhaps the Starfleet people could rub off on the Da’al, and sow the seeds of concord once again.

And then, of course, there was the other reason. Thankfully, Erbil had pressed the button on the desk which isolated their room from the rest of the complex. He felt secure in telling them what he had to say.

Erbil: There is a second reason why I would like for you to appear before the Great Council. We have reason to believe an assassination is being hatched, and our interim security minister is one of the plotters. The interim prime minister wants to flush him out, and what better way to do it than live, in front of everyone, during a meeting of the Great Council?

The black eyes found him almost at once… again. Erbil didn’t know whether the intelligence chief’s reaction was a good one or not.

MacKenzie: An assassination attempt… against the interim prime minister?

Erbil: Against… me! ::beat:: And the interim prime minister. And everyone else who chose rationality and reason over rancor and r… ::beat:: r…displeasedness.

Dakora: Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for the Da’al Intelligence Service to handle this?

Sydin: And, to add to this, wouldn't it be entirely inappropriate for Starfleet to handle the matter, or even assist in it?

Erbil wasn’t good at this. Everyone seemed to be tired already. His impression, based on the collected rumors and reports about how Starfleet operated, was that they’d jump at this opportunity. A secret mission to save a fledgling government and be the ambassadors of goodwill seemed right up Starfleet’s alley. He didn’t understand the source of all the reluctance.

Reluctance! Classic Erbil, he thought of the right word just a fraction of a second too late.

The commander sat down, followed by the intelligence chief. They all held their positions for a long, awkward moment of silence.

MacKenzie: I’m sure I don’t need to emphasize Starfleet’s policy of non-interference when it comes to intra-governmental affairs, not to mention how bad this will look for all of us if this goes south and somehow people think Starfleet is behind this…

Erbil allowed himself a small grin. The Starfleet people weren’t exactly what he expected, but maybe they were even better. It was clear that MacKenzie was no stranger to negotiation and compromise. A Da’al in Human skin. Perhaps the others were cut from a similar cloth.

Erbil: Of course, you’re absolutely right, Commander. Your crew is already doing massive good work for us all over Tecra. Perhaps this is asking too much. ::beat, wrings hands:: I have to be honest with you all.

Erbil walked across the room and peered out a window. There was no view; just the wall of an adjacent part of the complex separated by a few meters of open space to allow the light in.

Erbil: As you know, I’m only the interim external relations minister. This position is normally held by a skilled politician, someone who is comfortable working with people and making good impressions. The permanent post has been vacant for almost three years. I stepped into the role because I was a career bureaucrat and my name was at the top of the list. But I’m not very good at it.

The nearly retired paper pusher turned back to the trio of officers and choked back a tear.

Erbil: I don’t want to be assassinated. I just want to calm more crises than I create and live long enough to retire.

Erbil snuffled. He didn’t normally get this emotional. Thankfully he had pushed the button on the table and isolated the room from the rest of the complex at the beginning of their meeting. Otherwise his colleagues in other offices might have overheard his monologue of insecurity.

Dakora: Minister, I’d be happy to advise or assist in the investigation, but I’m not convinced that a foreign Intelligence Officer claiming to have uncovered an assassination plot in a Great Council session is the wisest course of action.

Erbil nodded slowly in gratitude. Anyone who’d ever been assassinated knew exactly how he felt at that moment. A glimmer of hope meant more than all the planet’s riches. He breathed a sigh of relief that the spirit of negotiation and compromise ran deeply through the veins of these people.

MacKenzie: Does your government have any leads, or any evidence to support these claims?

Erbil: ::nods:: About an hour ago, just outside the Great Council chamber after a deliberation was adjourned, the leader of one of the factions told the interim prime minister to “Heed our warnings about Tecra… or else.”

Sydin: That is... preciously little to go on, Minister.

Erbil: We’re not violent people, Lieutenant. A threat like that, especially in the Great Council, is most disturbing. And there’s more, less than twenty minutes ago——

Erbil was interrupted by a commotion outside the room. His heart skipped a beat and he looked at the buttons on the table. “Isolate room” was not illuminated, but its neighbor, “Override thermostat auto-timer” was.

Oh, doot. Erbil had pressed the wrong button.

Dakora: Is everything alright out there, Minister Erbil?

Erbil had no idea who might have overheard him. On the other side of the door could be friends waiting to congratulate him or factions waiting to exact another string of negotiated concessions out of him. If someone heard his monologue of insecurity, it would definitely sour his position at any bargaining table at which he sat in the future.

Erbil: Everything’s fine. It’s a very common thing, nothing to be concerned about at all. ::beat, clears throat:: If you’ll excuse me, I just need to check on something in the corridor. Won’t be a moment.

Sydin: By all means, Minister, we can wait. ::she motioned for him to go ahead:: I am sure this won't take long if it is as 'common' as you imply.

Erbil nodded and backed out of the room. The door, which took forever to open, scraped against his butt as he exited. Thankfully, the commotion had worked its way down the corridor and no one outside seemed to have overheard his mention of the assassination plot. Such commotions in a place like a government building were highly unusual. Erbil asked the receptionist to go find out what the problem was and report back. A moment later, he returned to the Starfleet negotiators, somewhat more collected than he had been.

Erbil: You’re absolutely right, Commander, Lieutenants, that bringing you into the Great Council chamber would be too risky. Perhaps you might be willing to meet with some of our factions informally. In a committee room, or in one of the lecture halls. Perhaps to get a glimpse at who might—— ::beat:: you know—— ::beat:: be up to something.

MacKenzie / Dakora / Sydin: response

Erbil: ::to MacKenzie and Sydin:: Meeting them might also give the factions representing Tecra an opportunity to communicate their needs to you. You’re doing so much for us already, but these people’s lifeblood runs through Tecra. They would be able to give you an insight into the city that I never could. A show of good faith on all sides.

MacKenzie / Dakora / Sydin: response

Tag / TBC

MSPNPC Da’al Erbil
Interim External Relations Minister