PNPC Ens Kliss'lai - I Am Become Kliss: Destroyer of Meals

notyourfrog

Aug 9, 2023, 11:54:14 AM8/9/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((OOC - altering the location a little because I misread that particular detail))

((The Sea's Bounty Bistro, Cait Spacedock))

It was a little hard to believe they weren't on the planet. The proprietors of this restaurant had used holoemitters judiciously to give a very believable impression they were riverside on the planet below. The added benefits were they weren't being harassed by insects, there was exactly zero chance of wild animals attacking mid-meal, and they'd adjusted the temperature a bit. It was still warm and humid, but at least closer to a climate in which the majority of visiting patrons would be comfortable.

But now it was time to order food! Kliss suggested Jozial go first so she could have a few extra seconds to finalize her decisions.

Renirs: I’ll have calamari’n’chips with Roquefort mussels. ::side-glance to Kliss’lai and back:: Please.

Server: Sounds good, ::turning to Kliss'lai:: and for you?

Kliss'lai: I'll have the shrimp fritters, fried whiskerfish, a bowl of the chilled whitefish chowder, an order of the citrus shellfish, aaaaand ::scanning:: how about a broiled filet of guatoma fish. Does that come with sides?

It was a lot of food, even for her, but between her swim and the pre-date nerves, her stomach was about to start eating itself. Best to give it something else to consume. Both the server and Jozial were blinking somewhat surprised by the order.

Server: ::snapping out of it:: Sides. Yes. They're listed down here ::indicating the bottom of the menu::

Kliss'lai: How about the field greens assortment. That sounds good.

Hopefully she hadn't committed a first date faux pas. Kliss didn't have a lot of experience of the dating variety, and was just trying to "be herself" - advice that had been given to her before her first ever first date from her aunt. Now however, looking into the inscrutable face of the pink-haired Trill across from her, she wondered if herself was ok? Enough?

Kliss'lai: Did I order too much?

Renirs: Na-ah! If they can’t fulfill the demand, they should raise the prices. ::pause:: So, uh, I take it that you were serious about being hungry.

Kliss’lai: ... yeah. I had a particularly long swim today, and I ... couldn't eat after. oO I was too nervous. Oo

Kliss was never too nervous to eat. She wondered if Trill were telepathic. She didn't think so, but Jozial seemed to be doing something to her brain. It was like she simultaneously wanted crazy things and was incapable of tending to the basic necessities of life.

The silence between them was charged. Not in a bad way per se, but in a way that seemed to crackle with things unsaid. Kliss looked across at Jozial. She was so cool, just drinking in the moment. Why couldn't she do that instead of scraping her brain for some interesting scrap of information or trivia or question that could start a conversation. She really wanted some solid footing. This floaty feeling was kind of exhilarating, but unsettling too.

Renirs: So, you like… swimming?

Kliss’lai: ::excited for the conversational solid ground:: I really do. My favorite route, where I was today, is through a glacial canyon from Earth's Arctic Circle. It's really rather beautiful.

Renirs: Huh, that’s cold! I wouldn’t be able to do that. ::pause:: Wait, you’re not having too hot here, are you? I know you guys like it cool.

Kliss smiles demurely at the sudden consideration shown to her comfort levels. It felt nice to be looked after like this, even if it wasn't particularly necessary. She was a big girl and could take care of herself ... but still. It was sweet Jozial cared.

Kliss’lai: I'm really fine. I've gotten used to the ambient temperature on the ship, and they've kept it cooler here than on the planet, from what I understand. Besides, I dressed for a warmer outing.

She blushed deeply at this last part. Drawing attention to her clothing (or her appearance in any way) was not something Kliss typically did. The thought of inviting the other woman's gaze made her skin prickle with heat more than could be ascribed to the climate controls setting. She tried shifting the subject back to hobbies.

Kliss’lai: What do you do for exercise?

It wasn't like she was ogling Jozial or anything. It was obvious she had some form of exercise. Something quite effective, from what she could tell. oO Stop it, Kliss. Oo

Renirs: Gym. You know, lifting, punching bag. You gotta be in top shape to beat up the Chief Sec… ::stops, realises the company:: Oh. Uh, sorry. I bet you didn’t like it when I did that.

Kliss tilted her head slightly, considering the question. Jozial's spanner attack was ... unconventional, but it had been effective more or less. If the situation had been something other than a training exercise, her improvisation would have been entirely justified.

Kliss’lai: I think ... ::starting slowly:: that you showed an ability to think outside the confines of the exercise. You saw a threat, and moved to neutralize it with the tools at your disposal. ::smiling sweetly:: Once his ears stopped ringing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lieutenant recognized that too.

Renirs: Response

The server approached their table, weighed down under an enormous tray of dishes and followed by another server bearing an equally impressive tray. The second set their tray on a nearby table and hurried off to their own duties while their own server began laying out the meal. This done (a sideboard had to be set to accommodate a few plates that wouldn't fit on the two-top. By the time he'd refreshed their drinks, Kliss'lai's stomach was singing a full opera. She looked up from surveying the bounty before her, grinning at Jozial.

Kliss'lai: Shall we?

Renirs: Response

Kliss ate a lot. She was Andorian after all, and had the appropriate metabolism. She was also an avid swimmer though, and that came with its own increase in appetite. Added to that was her intense love of good food. And this food was good. She set down her silverware at one point mid-chew, sighing happily, eyes closing in culinary ecstasy.

Kliss'lai: You have to try this shrimp. It's unbelievable. ::holding out the plate::

Renirs: Response

The fish was perfectly flaky, the shellfish tender and flavorful, and the calamari done to absolute perfection (it's tricky to get it just right - cook it too long and you're left chewing breaded galvanized elastic). A while later, the server returned to survey the apocalyptic state of plates and discarded shells.

Server: Will there be anything else this evening, ladies?

Kliss jumped in before Jozial could respond.

Kliss'lai: ::to Jozial:: I get to pick the dessert spot. ::to the server:: I think we're good ::back to Jozial:: unless you wanted something more?

Renirs: Response

Server: Very good.

The meal done and belly satiated, the pair walked (Kliss practically bounced from what she called "food happy") from the bistro. Kliss had seen a gelato place on their way here, and thought it looked like a good place to round out the meal. She still hadn't told jozial that's where they were going though. Gelato was always good, but surprise gelato was in a league of its own.

Kliss'lai: So, Jozial, um ... what is your favorite thing in the whole galaxy?

Stupid question. HUGE question. Too personal a question? Kliss wished she could take it back and ask something else, but there was a more than fair allotment of blood rushing to her stomach, so her brain had been downgraded to secondary systems.

Renirs: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Kliss'lai, PNPC
Security Officer, USS Artemis-A