Ensign Vedic Koleth - End of the Party

Colin Fendrick

May 26, 2023, 4:19:05 PM5/26/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( State Dining Room, Central Government Facilities, Tecra Province ))

Vedic and Savel sat next to each other at the dining table. Vedic was savoring his food and wine and was getting to know his fellow Ensign.

Vedic: What about Vulcans? Why do you always just have the one name?

Savel: Vulcans have family names as well. Though, it can take much practice for another being to speak it. Or understand it.

As the Vulcan spoke he ripped another hunk of bread off and dipped it in the soup, then tore it and started chewing.

Vedic: ::swallowing a mouthful of bread:: So what’s your real name?

As Vedic washed down the bread with a swig of wine, Savel raised his brow in response to the question.

Savel: Savel is my real name. I have not attempted to deceive you or anyone else. It is the name easiest for you all to pronounce, so it is the one given.

Vedic wasn’t sure what to say to that. Luckily some servers had just come around with something that reminded him of the pickled majjat fruit of his homeworld. Humans might find them like a sweet olive. He grabbed three and popped them in his mouth, sucking the fruit off the pit.

Savel: Why do Bajorans present their family name first? Is there more importance given to the representation of one's family over that of themselves?

Vedic: ::dropping an olive-like pit out of his mouth onto the plate:: On Bajor we have a saying: “Family is like a black rope in the dark.”

He wasn’t sure what it meant either.

Savel: I see. Do you not wish to simply give your name in the reverse order to non-Bajorans? It would perhaps lead to a less time-consuming introduction.

Vedic: Oh but then we wouldn’t get to have this fun conversation. Besides it’s a lot of paperwork to change.

Savel: Response

The Ensigns kept talking for a while. Where they were from, time at the Academy, what they liked to do for fun. Usual stuff. About an hour later Kole stood up.

Vedic: Excuse me, I think I’ve had enough to drink. Might be time for me to get back.

He said goodbye to the people nearby, then went to see off his department head and some of the fellow Senior officers. Afterwards he went outside. The brisk night air froze his lungs in his breath. Welcome after the body heat closeness and smells of inside. He looked up at the stars.

oO Been a long time since the familiar constellations of Bajor. Oo

He thought about the constellations of his homeworld and how they were more abstract than the Earth constellations: Inspiration Point, The Power of Falling, Giving Birth to Thunder. It had been over a year since his last leave had taken him there.

He saw one star moving much more quickly than the rest, and realized it was the Artemis, in orbit around the planet.

oO A new star to call home Oo

Vedic: =/\= Artemis, one to beam up. =/\=

TAG // END SCENE for VEDIC

--

Ensign Vedic Koleth

Engineering Officer