Ensign Jaseb Chevalier - Standard conditional probability problem of three choices

CPT Arianus

Sep 29, 2023, 4:23:23 PM9/29/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((First Officer’s Office, USS Artemis-A))

Adea: Love what you’ve done with the place, Yogan. ::he coughed:: Commande Yalu, may I present Ensign Chevalier?

Chevalier: Sir. :: he straight his stand and nodded in direction of Commander Yalu::

First officer welcomed them with a relaxed nobility worthy of his position. As he stood from his chair, he smoothed his uniform and stepped forward to shake the Ensign’s hand.

Jaseb was facing his first officer. Second after their God, the captain of the ship. He eased his stance and took the offer for a handshake. As the first officer’s hand squeezed his in glove, Jaseb watched him react. If FO noticed the hard lines of mechanical fingers through the paddling, he didn’t let anything be known about it.

Yalu: Ensign Chevalier, welcome aboard the USS Artemis. I understand you’ve just graduated from the Academy. ::beat:: Operations, if I’m not mistaken?

Chevalier: Intelligence major, sir. Assigned to Artemis to get an experience with the Operations and standard Starfleet ship service.

Yalu: I’m afraid I must put you to work right away.

Chevalier: I hope my expertise would be welcomed, sir. I believe I have a lot to offer.

Adea: response

First officer let Jacob’s hand go and activated the holographic display viewer on his desk. A schematic of Artemis hovered a half-meter above.

Yalu: Artemis is currently engaged in a deep-level sensor sweep of various corners of the Borderlands. Our sensors are running every minute of every hour of the day, and the requests for access outnumber our capacity. Astrometrics, Stellar Cartography and Astrophysics all have high-priority experiments running, and diverting sensor power from any of them could impact the collection of their data.

Chevalier: ::noded:: It looks like a standard conditional probability problem of three choices. If they are not able to agree on the schedule, I see the work I will need to done to satisfy all, and to offend no one.

Adea: response

First Officer set three PADDs on the desk, one for every required experiment. And then fourth, with some sight of drama from unknown and unsaid.

Yalu: And just this morning, a request came in from one of the medical technicians, a Crewman… Hamsan… asking to run an experiment on the effects of decompression on various types of tissues. ::beat:: Ensign Chevalier, as our resident operations expert, how do you propose we manage all these requests?

Chevalier: Fourth could change the equation, but as I see the requirement, it should not necessarily. :: he took the fourth PADD and analyzed it for a moment :: No, it will work. Best solution to the problem would be to divide the shifts of individual departments. Day has twenty-four hours, they can work eight on every experiment, one after another. We cut those eight by one, which would be reserved to recalibrate ship sensors for another task. I believe the departments could make this quicker, but this hour would be mandatory. As recalibration will require around a third of the energy requirement of the individual experiment, crewmen Hamsan will have three blocks of one hour during the day for his experiments with enough energy and some extra for other ship’s requirements. All four requirements should be satisfied, everyone should be happy. What do you think, commander? ::he looked at cmdr. Yalu:: Commander? ::he turned to cmdr. Adea::

Yalu / Adea: response

Tags/TBC

--
Ensign Jaseb Chevalier