Cmdr. Genkos Adea - Cavalcade of Crap

Genkos Adea

Jul 31, 2023, 6:28:13 AM7/31/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis-A ))

Genkos softened slightly as he indulged in a little nostalgia. As much as the Gorkon held an abundance of traumatic memories for him, some of his closest friends were made onboard that ship. Which reminded him, he must drop Erin a line to let her know how his clematis was going. He had shared her green thumb when they had both accidentally merged personalities, and that had stayed with him ever since.

Adea: Oh I let them keep it; but made them promise to take more care. I expect Cory still has it - they used to move it every few weeks to stay one step ahead of the Admiral… who probably knew exactly where it was at any time. Nothing slips past Quinn Reynolds.

Yellir: Well, fingers crossed this surprise won’t persist for too much longer. Thankfully, there’s a full set of backups filed away in the computer.

Jones: Backups? Like a previously saved state? What exactly does that mean in this context?

Yellir: Basically. It means that you’ll have a humanoid looking EMH in time for your next appointment.

A little muscle twitched in Genkos’ jaw as he saw Hiro’s face - he just knew the man had a flippant remark on the tip of his tongue, but the good doctor must have realised Genkos’ patience was wearing thin and so bit his tongue.

Adea: Perfect.

As Hallia moved to the workstation, Genkos wondered if Geoffrey would be at all surprised if he appeared on Teller’s ship and ran him through with the sword the engineer gave him. And whether summoning this muppety monster to the trial would have him acquitted on grounds of diminished capacity.

Yellir: You wouldn’t happen to have a timeframe for when these… ‘surprises’ were put in place, do you? I’m worried Teller fiddled with the previous backups.

Jones: During the mission was the first time the EMT was activated since we came to the Artemis, so there's really no telling. Given the resemblance to the guy conducting the refit, I'd say it happened around then.

Adea: What Hiro said.

Yellir: Response?

What followed was one of Genkos’ nightmares; a series of “humourous” additions to the EMH programme that were impractical, ugly and annoying. Each worse than the last.

The first holo-doc to materialise looked like a manatee in a Starfleet uniform. Despite the universal translator, it managed to speak to them in a language Genkos didn’t recognise; another of Geoffrey’s little improvements.

EMH: Veuillez indiquer la nature de l'urgence médicale.

Jones: Nope. I don't think that's the one.

Adea: Thank you, Lieutenant, for that incisive remark.

Yellir: Response

The engineer went back further. This time, the striking image of Captain James T. Kirk in his prime materialised in a teal uniform. Genkos let out a long sigh and shook his head. He pinched the bridge of his nose rather hard.

EMH: Please ... statethenature ... of ... the ... medicalemergency.

Jones: Good grief. Commander Teller had some fun with this.

Adea: And at our expense.

He turned back to Hallia, who fiddled with the controls once more.

Yellir: Response

A large frog, a Bollian female, three [REDACTED] puppets, some kind of mime artist, and an oversized dog of some kind followed. Genkos let out a low, frustrated growl, one that was mimicked by the hound.

Finally after about ten minutes of searching, the standard issue Starfleet EMH materialised, looking somewhat stiff and businesslike.

EMH: Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Jones: I think we have a winner!

Adea: Thank the four! And also Hallia, thank you. You did do most of the work after all.

Jones/Yellir: Response

Genkos dismissed the EMH and leaned forward on his cane, looking at Hallia very gravely for a moment.

Adea: Can you please ensure that all those other “funny” versions are deleted from the ship’s memory? I don’t want any other “jokers” ::his eyes slid over to Hiro and back to Hallia:: getting ideas.

Jones/Yellir: Response

Commander Genkos Adea MD

Chief Medical Officer

USS Artemis-A

G239502GS0

"You know, I'm really easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies and I don't like threats, and I don't like you, Culluh. You can try and stop us from getting to the truth but I promise you that if you do I will respond with all the 'unique technologies' at my command." - Kathryn Janeway