LtJG Jovenan & NPC Dr Tevet Elain – Friends, new and old

Jovenan

Jan 5, 2024, 4:59:04 AMJan 5
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Vets N Co, former Casa Adea, Dekoa, Betazed))

Jovenan sat down on a chair next to Doctor Adea’s one. Toto, following his master, had sat down on the floor near them in anticipation of them being called in by the vet. Jovenan leaned closer to the Doctor, keeping her eyes on the receptionist behind the front desk.

Jovenan: She recognised your name. Do you know her?

Adea: I don’t; but my mother sold this place fairly recently, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that she read it somewhere.

She nodded and straightened herself on her chair again. She was satisfied with that response, it made sense that not everyone in here would remember or know him or his family, considering how long they had been absent. But she was still curious. She was certain that if she were to go back to her home community, even after a decade, there would be dozens of people who remembered her. Culture’s, families and individuals were different, but she didn’t find it likely there would be no one to know Doctor Adea.

Jovenan: Are there anyone that might remember you here? Family, friends?

His eyebrows moved closer together as he concentrated. Her own background made it difficult to always remember that some people grew up with only a few people around them, but the fact that he needed to think so hard anyone surprised her.

Adea: Well there was a young girl I grew up with - she lived nearby and we used to walk to the nearby transporter hub together before beaming to school.

Jovenan: Do you know what she’s doing now?

Adea: Well Tevet and I lost touch after I went to the Academy; I’m not certain where she went.

Jovenan pouted a little as she leaned in to scratch Toto’s head. The good boy had been waiting for their turn patiently. It seemed she wouldn’t be meeting the Doctor’s old friends on this journey. At least she had already learnt about the place.

Jovenan: That’s a pity…

They couldn’t discuss much further when the receptionist turned to them by the desk.

Receptionist: Mr Adea, we’re ready for you now! Room 2, it’s the one the left in the corridor that way.

Adea: Response

Jovenan lifted herself from her chair. Toto, too, understood the assignment as he rose onto all fours. Patting her thigh with open hand, Jovenan gave him instructions.

Jovenan: Lets go, Toto!

Adea: Response

((A moment earlier))

((Vet N Co, Dekoa, Betazed))

The hypospray hissed as its content emptied through skin into the subdermal layer of the Xanthan marmot. The small creature squeaked a little in its sleep as the medicine began to slowly take effect and the device was lowered to a side table. It remained in the land of dreams uninterrupted even when a pair of hands were gently pushed under its side and around it, and its entire body rose from the table.

Tevet placed the marmot to a cot, closing the cage after making sure it laid there comfortably. It was ready to wake up from its anaesthetic sleep now, which it could safely do at the possession of its owner. The operation had been a successful, perhaps a bit more time consuming than first expected. Moving the cot away, tidying the tables from the clutter and filling the last bits of PADDwork, she could finally move on with the patient list.

Idly fidgeting with a curl of her hair, she opened the appointments listing. The reception had registered the next patient as arrived and waiting, luckily not for unreasonably long.

Pre-appointment background info told her that she would be meeting a dog (Earth-type), race Weimaraner, name Toto, residence a random ship with USS prefix indicating a Starfleet vessel. She rolled her eyes a little. Were these people deliberately trying to traumatize innocent animals? Her eyes moved to the line indicating the owner.

Elain: Genkos… Adea?

Genkos… Adea. It couldn’t be a coincidence. She remembered the little boy from the neighbourhood, the one with whom she wouldn’t stop talking about animals and all weird pets there were across the universe and how to treat them. Now to think of it, she had heard through the family rumour mill that he had joined Starfleet around the time she was doing her Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. But Adea wasn’t his name, that was his mother’s name, the same mother who had owned this office until recently. His name had been Sim, his father’s name. His father who had been in news just a few years ago.

It couldn’t be a coincidence.

Tevet tabbed the PADD to inform the front desk she was ready to receive the next patient. She waited for a few moments before the door to her room opened.

Elain: Hello, Genkos. It’s been a long time.

The little boy she knew looked so much older with a swirl of grey hair and a cane, although the expression on his face had not changed a bit. They were the same age, so Tevet wondered if she looked equally aged to his eyes after all these years, although the greyness hadn’t yet found the way to her long, curly black hair currently tied to a bun.

Adea: Response

Tevet turned finally to Genkos’ companion. The woman, human or at least human looking, appeared much younger than Genkos or herself, either thanks to Starfleet grade skin care or genetic lottery win, or actually being a decade younger. She didn’t know if she should shame or congratulate Genkos for that catch.

Elain: ::offers hand to Jovenan:: Hello. I’m Doctor Tevet Elain.

Jovenan: ::shakes hand:: Oh. Hello, I’m Jovenan. What a coincidence, he mentioned you just a moment ago!

Adea: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Doctor Tevet Elain