Captain Addison MacKenzie - Momentary Recognition

Addison MacKenzie

Sep 3, 2023, 1:57:45 PM9/3/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Elysium – Deck 5, USS Artemis ))

Now that her former captain’s holoprojection had faded, the newly-pipped CO of the Artemis stood before her crew with her own agenda in hand. As she looked out at each of those assembled, she realized just how much they’d been through together, and how much each of them was responsible for her being trusted with the leadership of the ship.

She cleared her throat, motioning for Yalu to join her at the bar where a small table had been set up.

MacKenzie: With that out of the way, I have some business of my own to get to… What was designed as a series of preparedness drills quickly turned into something far more sinister – an ambush on two Federation ships that nearly resulted in their total destruction and a loss of life. Instead, thanks to your teamwork and quick thinking, we were able to thwart the Suliban and save both ships.

Yalu: Response

MacKenzie: Mr. Kuva, please step forward.

She waited for the tall Vulcan to stoically approach the front of the room.

MacKenzie: Ensign, you joined us at a particularly perilous time – and that didn’t stop you from jumping in and getting right to work. I have no doubt you’ll be an asset to this crew, and as your commanding officer, I have the privilege of awarding you the Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon.

Yalu passed her the box containing the ribbon, which she removed and placed on his duty jacket.

MacKenzie: Congratulations, and welcome aboard, Ensign.

Yalu/Kuva/Any: Responses

When the Vulcan retook his place among the crowd, she proceeded.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Jones, you’re next.

Her eyes tracked Hiro as the counselor moved from the crowd and joined them at the front.

MacKenzie: While I know you are now serving as our counselor, that didn’t stop you from jumping into action when a member of our crew was in serious trouble. It’s what any good doctor would do. For the actions you took to save the life of Ensign Vailani, I hereby award you the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

Yalu/Jones/Any: Responses

When the clapping died down and Jones returned to his spot, it was time for the next pair. Her face became particularly serious.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Jovenan, Doctor Sadar, please step forward.

She waited while the Edo and Mizarian came forward, and she wondered if the doctor would tremble out of her boots at being put on display in front of her colleagues. Fortunately, that wasn’t the case.

MacKenzie: I don’t think I have to tell either of you just how much trouble we were in – you saw first-hand. And, true to form, your response was to see a problem and dive right into developing a solution. When many of the decks of the Artemis were filled with gas and many of our systems unresponsive, you two came up with a plan that allowed our teams to get in and neutralize the Suliban threat. I am proud to award you each the Innovation Ribbon.

She took the box from Yalu, removed the bright blue ribbons, and affixed each to their respective awardees.

Yalu/Jovenan/Sadar/Any: Responses

MacKenzie: Doctor Sadar, you may head back. Lieutenant Jovenan, please remain.

Her eyes narrowed slightly.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, your service to this crew has not gone unnoticed. Since you joined the Artemis, you have proven yourself to be an incredible asset to us, and your contributions to our missions have been directly responsible for getting us out of some particularly perilous spots. As such, I hereby appoint you to the position of Assistant Chief Science Officer, effective immediately. Congratulations, Lieutenant.

Jovenan/Any: Response

Addison nodded, and the Edo scientist returned to her chair.

MacKenzie: Also, because of our dealings with the Suliban pirates, every member of the crew is hereby awarded the Operation Safe Harbor Service Medal.

She and Yogan started handing out the grey and black striped ribbons until each member of the senior staff had one.

MacKenzie: I’m sure you’ve also noticed that there have been quite a few changes among the senior staff, which I’d like to take a moment to address… Firstly, Lieutenant Osuna has requested a transfer back to Deep Space 224 for personal reasons. However, before he left, he had just passed the threshold to qualify for the Department Chief Ribbon, which I hereby award him in absentia.

She took a brief moment before looking at several specific members of the senior staff.

MacKenzie: I’d like to take a moment to thank Commander Adea for his service as our First Officer – without him, I’m quite certain our transition to the Artemis would not have been as smooth as it was. We’ve both decided that he is most valuable to us in Sickbay, and he’s become our new Chief Medical Officer. Congratulations, and thank you for your service, Commander.

Adea/Any: Response

MacKenzie: And, by now, I’m sure you’ve all noticed that serving as our new First Officer is Lieutenant Commander Yogan Yalu, and our new Second Officer is also our Intelligence Chief, Lieutenant Commander Dakora.

Yalu/Dakora/Any: Responses

MacKenzie: Drinks are on the command staff – I encourage you all to enjoy and celebrate with one another as we wrap up our shore leave. Our next mission is right around the corner…

Any: Responses

Tag, and TBC!

---

Captain Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS
Commanding Officer
USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Magistrate

V239601AM0