LtJG Jovenan – A rescue from loneliness

Jovenan

Aug 19, 2023, 2:54:38 PM8/19/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Jovenan’s Quarters, Deck 3, USS Artemis))

It felt weird having one’s own quarters.

Sure, the quarters she had while an ensign had the other berth empty the entire time, so it had been technically all hers. But this, this room was dedicated entirely to her. There had always been a possibility they’d make her share the junior officer living space with somebody else. Since they wouldn’t lodge another person in here, during normal times at least, she had no excuse not to make look like hers. Decorate it with things she liked, scatter her memorabilia on the shelves, get chairs and sofas to host her friends, and tables and boxes and musical instruments…

Yet, she didn’t have any. A few flowers in the corners, a couple books here and there (to be returned to the library), the Edo religious symbol on the self. The “living room” part of her quarters was practically empty. She often even dined by her desk in the bedroom.

Jovenan was lying on her bed, reading a PADD and scrolling through an inventory of pieces of furniture she could request to be fabricated and delivered for her. She would have to wait for her memorabilia collection to grow, but there was nothing preventing her from acquiring other items now. Except for the fact that nothing felt right. Getting a sofa and never using it felt wasteful and pretentious. Did she even need one? She sighed. Maybe she didn’t need anything but her bed, closet, desk and food replicator.

Jones: =/\= Jones to Jovenan =/\=

Jovenan turned off the PADD and picked up her combadge from the nightstand. Rolling to lie on her back, she tapped the small device and hold it in front of her head while talking.

Jovenan: =/\= Jovenan here. Hi Hiro! What is it? =/\=

Jones: =/\= Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight. Kind of a sibling night? I can cook something and we could play a game or something. Nothing too big a deal, just ... I dunno =/\=

Sibling. Jovenan had called Hiro her brother earlier on the shore leave. While she had been awkward and feared he might become uncomfortable with her, he had not only accepted siblinghood, but he was also embracing it. She smiled. This was just what she needed.

Jones: =/\= No pressure. Just throwing the idea out there if you're free. =/\=

Jovenan: =/\= No, of course I’m coming! Sounds lovely! In your quarters? =/\=

She had been to his junior officer quarters for the movie night with some other ensigns, but she was yet to see his new, senior officer quarters. She wondered if he had kept his minimalist interior design, or if losing Kawarda as a roommate had inspired him to try on different things. Either way, it would have something her quarters severely lacked: company. And food and games, apparently.

Jones: =/\= Response =/\=

Jovenan: =/\= Sure! Give me a few minutes, I’ll be there! Jovenan out. =/\=

Jones: =/\= Response? =/\=

She leaped out of her bed and threw the PADD onto her desk. The movie night had been much fun and an enlightening experience, and she looked forwards to doing that again, but there had also been so many new things and people around her it could have overwhelmed her. Tonight’s plan was cooking, playing games, and chatting. If it had been anyone else but Hiro, it could have been massively awkward. Yet, with him, it sounded like the most fun she had had for a long time.

((A bit later))

((Outside Hiro’s Quarters, Deck 3, USS Artemis))

Jovenan had to walk across almost the entire saucer section to find Hiro’s new quarters. Hers was on the starboard side, while Hiro’s was on the port side. She had discovered on the way that Lt Osuna also lived in the same sector as he did and wondered if they ever met in the hallway when the shifts began. Maybe not, she hadn’t seen Commander Dakora in the corridors too often despite living fairly close to him. Jovenan realised there was something inherently funny in thinking the ship as a city, where some people lived by the same street with one another.

She eventually found Hiro’s door and rang the doorbell. Soon, the door opened, and Jovenan was greeted by a familiar face.

Jones: Response

Jovenan considered giving him a hug, like she would to her family members back home. And Hiro had said he would always let her be her genuine self. Still, the doctrine of not touching the offworlders had ingrained so deep within her she didn’t dare to test his boundaries again so soon. Instead, she offered him a warm smile and a quick wave of hand.

Jovenan: No, thank you for inviting me, brother! You’ve saved me from boredom this evening.

She stepped in and took a look around. The first thing she saw was that he had some nice plants around the quarters. She turned to him.

Jovenan: So, is there something I can help you with in cooking? Or was that something you had already done?

Jones: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan