PNPC Ensign Clara Quinn - Yolo

Luxa Lorana

Aug 10, 2023, 1:31:05 PM8/10/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Caitian Transport M'li, Cait Spacedock - before the Artemis arrives))

((OOC - thanks in advance for indulging me in this long "one-shot" sim, this is to introduce a character that will be used in the Denali Invitational storyline as well as exploring Luxa's previous love life back at the academy))

Clara Quinn had spent the last five hours crawling through the tunnels of the Caitian transport vessel, the M'Lora. At first she enjoyed the challenge. The architecture of the ship had proven a unique challenge, the variations in the design, vaulted ceilings, and elaborate archways were more beautiful than any starfleet vessel she had been on.

The systems adapted for a singular species, one so physically different from other humanoids. Panels required adaptive devices that mimicked the paws and claws of Caitians.

After a few hours, the novelty wore off. Her hyperspanner now seemed like it had created a permanent groove in her hand. Each panel took longer than necessary to hook the device in and remove.

This was Ensign grunt work on Cait Spacedock the older engineers were fond of saying. Manual calibrations of the internal ship systems, really meant manual.

oO sometimes I wish I had married those Denobulan twins Oo

The thought made her laugh as she remembered the Denobulan dance in which her mother hoisted the two brothers on to her as a last ditch attempt to prevent her from leaving to join Starfleet Academy.

'They're nobility!' she exclaimed, noting the exact particulars of their lineage. Such things mattered to Theodora Quinn.

Her mother really was from a different era entirely. Starting off as cocktail waitress on Earth and ending up as a wife to three Denobulans; diplomat, an opera singer and a neuroscientist, offered a unique perspective on ambition.

She had just finished what seemed to be her 100th calibration of a system conduit. Twist. Screw. Exactly 3.8 microquads. Perfect.

Dorset: =/\= Dorset to Quinn, how you holding up? =/\=

Crewman Freddie Dorset was one of her very few friends she had managed to make in her short time being posted to the station. She had been assigned to the same dockyard maintenance crew as him when she had arrived several weeks ago, after a stint at DS224.

Quinn: =/\= I'm alive. Or maybe I'm not and this is my version of hell, or I've passed through a time vortex. I haven't decided which is more plausible. =/\=

Dorset: =/\= I don't suppose this would be a good time to tell you that I've finished adjusting the external sensor array? =/\=

Quinn: =/\= Sometimes I think you've been swapped with an alternative variant from another universe =/\=

Dorset: =/\= Would an alternate variant offer to help you finish? =/\=

Quinn: =/\= You'll never make emperor with that attitude =/\=

Dorset: :: laughs :: =/\= I'll grab a hyperspanner, see you soon =/\=

((A few hours later - The Den Lounge - Cait Spacedock))

Quinn and Dorset were seated in a spot that was quickly being dubbed as their spot. It was a raised platform, with carefully arranged seating, adaptable for a variety of species. They opted to use the chairs rather than the loungers.

The platform had an uninterrupted view to the large viewing of the planet the station orbited, Cait.

Laughing to herself, she had to admit that being posted here was a remarkable twist of irony. Or some cosmic joke at her expense.

As usual, looking at the planet brought her thoughts to the Caitian friend she had at the academy. Luxa Lorana, always more than what she appeared to be, yet always herself at the same time. If that was possible. They had found each other, lonely outsiders at the academy.

Clara was a human raised by Denobulans and Luxa was floundering in the alien environment she now found herself in. Neither of them knew how to behave, and found themselves increasingly isolated before they were forced to work together on an assignment. Clara couldn't remember what the assignment was, yet she couldn't forget the tentative beginnings of what would become the most significant friendship of her life.

They got themselves through it. They helped mould themselves into the officers they'd become.

oO I really messed that up Oo

Dorset: Another Caitian transport vessel. I appreciate the design but I can go the rest of the week without seeing the insides of another one :: Looks at his cocktail :: I don't know but this isn't doing it for me. I feel like I need something stronger, to clear the furballs out.

Quinn: :: laughs :: Isn't the point of a cocktail to make it as strong as you'd like it to be? I'm going to have a sea breeze next, it sounds exotic.

Quinn looked to Dorset, smiling, she really was lucky to have found a friend like him, sometimes she felt that it may be more than friends. Although she didn't want to ruin what they had, she had so few friends here. She had made that mistake in the past.

The planet was a constant reminder of that.

Dorset had a kind, handsome face with floppy brown hair that was just too long for Starfleet regulations but no one seemed to mind here. Given that a huge contingent of the crew and visitors were Caitians, a little bit more hair wasn't going to raise any eyebrows.

Dorset: :: rolls his eyes :: You really need to get out more. Exotic is not a sparkly cocktail. Exotic is forbidden. Exciting.

Quinn: Is that right?

Dorset: Yes. You've been here a few weeks now. I haven't seen you show an interest in anything except that hyperspanner?

He indicates the engineering jacket she still wore with her well used hyperspanner jutting out the pocket.

Quinn: :: nervous :: I'm, I don't know, shy. I haven't had much luck with … well, with anyone. I mess those things up.

Dorset: What's that saying … fortune favours the bold? The brave?

Quinn: Are you sure that's not a rule of acquisition?

Dorset: :: boldly goes :: I'm going to just put it out there. Let me take you out.

Quinn was stunned by the question, not entirely surprised, she had to admit. Casting her eyes down to the drink in front of her.

oO not again Oo

Dorset: Okay. That wasn't the reaction I was looking for.

Quinn: :: looking upwards :: I was just taken aback. I thought - I didn't think - I wasn't sure, if this was just friends or you liked me, like that?

Dorset: :: awkward :: This conversation is not getting any better. Forget about it. I just wanted to take you out. Get you out of your shell a little. Show you around.

Dorset's wide eyes and handsome smile took on a whole other look.

oO This man does like me? Oo

Quinn: :: cautious :: I didn't say no.

Dorset: :: laughs :: You didn't say yes either.

Quinn: :: yolo :: Okay, where would you like to take me? Do I need to change?

Dorset: :: happy :: It's a surprise, and yes. Wear something sparkly, not purple. Purple is not a good colour for Caitians.

Immediately Quinn tried to think of her wardrobe, mentally parsing through the casual tops of an assortment of colours and trousers.

Quinn: I don't own sparkly. Would a dress do?

Dorset: :: smiles:: A dress is perfect. Meet me here 1900 hours. Don't be late.

Pushing off the table, Dorset stopped briefly, smiled and walked off, leaving Clara with her own thoughts.

oO what the actual? Oo

Picking up the PADD in front of her. It's 1810 hours!

((A frantic short while later))

Clara had thrown on her only dress. A pale pink satin slip, a pair of silver kitten heels, and a matching set drop earrings and a necklace that a friend from the academy had made for her.

Her fair hair, usually pulled back into a ponytail, was flowing just below her shoulders, natural curls bouncing.

She found herself touching the necklace, her thoughts peeling through the vestiges of time. Another friend, another place.

Dorset stood, he was wearing a black shirt, trousers and boots. His floppy hair was smoothed backwards and she found herself pleasantly surprised.

Dorset: Now :: steps back to look proper :: this is way better than a dirty gold uniform. I knew I'd get you out of that jacket eventually.

Quinn: :: playful :: Don't you dare diss the jacket, it has pockets.

Dorset looked at the bar, there were two bluish green drinks waiting for them.

Dorset: I hope you don't mind, I ordered a sea breeze for us?

Quinn: :: playful:: Exotic.

The tellarite barman offered her a selection of straws and she took the most elaborate, twisty, bendy one out of the bunch. Placing it into her drink.

Quinn: A drink this colour needs a very bendy straw. It's a must. Are you going to tell me where we're going?

Dorset smiles and points out the viewscreen window.

Dorset: We're going dancing at a Caitian nightclub. It's near the market district in Shuuras :: lifts up the sea breeze :: they do better drinks than this.

Quinn: :: hesitant :: I haven't been on the planet's surface yet.

Dorset: :: shocked :: What? Really? Why's that?

Quinn: I had a friend at the academy, she's Caitian. We always used to talk about visiting the planet. She wanted to show me her favourite cities, her family's home in the jungle, and the famous Rajan arena. I don't know, it didn't feel right to go without her.

Dorset: :: concerned :: We don't have to go? Plenty of places to go in Spacedock? I can find trouble just about anywhere, trust me.

Quinn: No. I should go. I want to go :: hesitates slightly:: With you.

Quinn reaches over and takes Dorset's hand. He moves a strand of hair away from her face. And then fate calls…

Lt. Cmmdr Long: =/\= Long to all maintenance crews, please report to Hangar 9, we have an incoming unscheduled Starfleet ship that requires immediate attention. I repeat, all maintenance crews, please report to Hangar 9. =/\=

Dorset: Okay. That was a fun night.

A rush of mixed emotions overcame Clara. She was disappointed that she wouldn't get to spend more time with Freddie, yet relieved that somehow she would delay the inevitable next step in their relationship. As they walked away together, she took one last glance to the planet, thinking of that silver haired Caitian.

No tags, end scene

Ensign Clara Quinn

Engineer

Cait Spacedock