Lieutenant Hallia Yellir - Candle Talk

Ryan Fender

Apr 13, 2024, 12:00:18 PMApr 13
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Chief Engineer’s Office, Deck 15, USS Artemis-A))

Sitting in her office, Hallia had prepared herself for a meeting with the newest member of her staff. With a few quick cleanups, the Yelikan got herself meeting ready.

Yellir: =/\= Commander Salkath— at your earliest I request your presence in my office. =/\=

Salkath: =/\= Aye, Lieutenant. I am nearby in the matter replication lab. I will report shortly. =/\=

Yellir: =/\= Very good! I shall see you soon Commander. =/\=

Salkath: =/\= Understood. Salkath out. =/\=

As the commline closed, she cleared her throat and waited. Truly— she didn’t know how long it would be before Commander Salkath arrived, so she made short work of opening a drawer at the very bottom of her desk. Hallia grabbed for a plain rounded compact, popping it open to reveal a single mirror on the top half, and a cake of pigment, just a few shades shy of something lighter than her normal complexion.

She momentarily stared at herself, matching her gaze, she could feel her heart slowly working its way into the back of her mouth. Salkath was a seasoned officer— years of experience that she knew she lacked, hell until now, Hallia would agree that she was barely qualified for this role. A thought ate at her as she quickly powdered her nose, a small inkling that maybe she would slip up. As the compact snapped shut she drew in a long and hearty sigh. Kicking the draw shut as it was hidden away.

And not a moment too soon.

Even though the pair had met briefly, she remembered the Vulcan’s face, at least in its vaguest terms. Through the vantage of her office, he approached. Her arms settled on her desk as he entered.

Salkath: Lieutenant Yellir, thank you for making time to conduct this interview.

The Vulcan nodded slightly in deference while still maintaining the parade rest stance he had assumed since coming to a stop in the office's doorway.

There was a regard in his nod as his attention rested solely on her. Salkath was almost motionless as his stance stood so precisely. Hallia kept a warm grin plastered on her features as she peeked at the PADD held in his hands.

Yellir: Of course! Really, it’s my pleasure, Commander, It’s always good to have more experienced crew aboard.

Salkath: As it may... ::he approached and offered out the PADD with his transfer orders and an abridged version of his service record::  Our recent temporal... shenanigans have meant that my full service record hasn't been updated as expected. I took the liberty of making a list for you.

Yellir: I thank you for taking the initiative, Commander.

She grabbed the PADD with both hands, slowly examining it with a quick skim. From the quick looks she garnered— he sported a most impressive resume. With an expertise on Matter-Energy conversion. Hallia bit back at the starstruck look in her face, looking up at him to say something, but he beat her to the bullet.

Salkath: If I may deviate slightly first, ::with a raised eyebrow of interest:: Your candle is most intriguing. Does it hold cultural or religious significance?

She quirked her brow, leaning forward in her chair. Hallia reached for the candle that sat on her desk, one that was handmade by a former crewmate— Luxa Lorana. Pulling it from its holder, the Yelikan handled it like delicate glass. A brightly coloured piece, the cylinder of wax blended into itself like watercolour, careful and contrasted drips that sat on a white backdrop.

Yellir: I suppose you could say so. A gift given with a lot of Caitian significance— a former crewmate wanted to commemorate my first command on an away mission. ::smiling::  Gifts where I’m from are held in high esteem, since there isn’t very much to go around.

Hallia for a moment held a longing stare at the candle, before carefully offering it to Salkath for him to examine. As much as her culture believed in practicality with gifts— the wick was barely touched, with the sturdy wax almost hardly pitted from the heat.

Salkath: Response?

Yellir: Mm! Scent is very sacred to Caitians, these particular candles are difficult to make. They use a particularly potent cocktail of plants to make it, so I apologize if it's overpowering.

Salkath: Response?

Yellir: Oh— before I forget, can I get you anything to drink? ::gesturing to her replicator::

TAG/TBC

Lieutenant Hallia Yellir

Chief Engineer

USS Artemis-A