Ensign Gila Sadar - Medical Doctors Do Philosophy too!

Ensign Sadar

Jul 24, 2023, 5:44:01 AM7/24/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis-A ))

Fixing up a fellow medical officer during shore leave was not exactly what Gila had had in mind when she clocked in that day, but you dealt with the hands the Wheel granted unto you, and as such, she was as serious with this case of a slightly worn shoulder as she had been with Lieutenant Commander Dakora’s surgery the other day.

Doctor Jones’ self-treatment had been entirely sufficient, and any adverse effects of the slightly thinner connective tissue wouldn’t show for at least a year, maybe more, but since they caught the error, there was no reason to not address it immediately.

Sadar: Well, the tissue itself is fine, but the connectivity with your shoulder joint has been damaged. Some of the connective tissue was likely destroyed in the shot. It’s not an immediate issue, but if it deteriorates, well-

Jones: Far better to prevent that than think about future treatments, right?

Sadar: That’s my thinking as well. A bioregenerative field should encourage the body’s own compensation efforts sufficiently. Perhaps two or three treatments?

She wasn’t sure what she’d said, but all of a sudden, the Human Doctor’s expression turned into surprise, astonishment, perhaps even disbelief. What had she done? Had she made some kind of social faux pas? Was her Yael-robe slightly off-center? Did she have a lentil stuck in her teeth?

Panic was looming, when the Human Doctor saved her from despair.

Jones: The body's own compensation? Are you suggesting we let the body's healing capabilities help rather than just fix it in one go?

Sadar: I, uh… Well, if the body can handle it, I-I don’t see a reason not to allow it to. I mean, if you’d prefer it fixed immediately, I can do that, but-

Jones: Oh no! It's a GREAT thing! I take the same approach for my own patients! I think we tend to rely too heavily and too quickly on technology. It distances us from our evolved survival instincts if most injuries can be fixed within seconds.

Gila blinked, visibly confused

Sadar: Well… I-I just think supporting the body’s own natural processes is better for the mental health of our patients, within reason. ::starts setting up the bioregenerative field:: Physical trauma often carries mental stress with it, and by allowing the body to recover more gradually, with the support of technology, allows the patient time to come to terms with their injury and the events leading up to it. ::pause:: Some patients have the unfortunate habit of thinking that once the physical body is healed, so too is the soul…

Jones: Response?

She realized she was rambling to someone who was - in effect - currently her patient, and she cleared her throat, slightly uncomfortable.

Sadar: I-I’m setting up the field now.

The rest of the treatment passed in silence, Gila doing her best to stay busy monitoring the tissue regeneration and Doctor Jones seeming lost in thought. As they finished up, he re-donned his uniform jacket and hopped down from the table as she packed the equipment away.

Jones: Feels better already. Thanks, Doc! Doctor Sadar? Doctor Gila? I'm sorry, what do you feel most comfortable with me calling you?

Sadar: Uhh… I-I don’t mind. Whatever you feel the most comfortable with, Sir.

Jones: Works for me. ::smiling:: Feel free to call me Hiro - unless there's some reason for increased formality, obviously.

Gila’s face scrounged slightly in obvious consternation, her anxiety ring receiving a couple of twists to soothe her nerves.

Sadar: I, uh, I’ll try my best, Lieut- H-Hiro… Umm… ::looks at the display of the biobed:: I think the next treatment would be prudent in a couple of days’ time. Give your body a reprieve and time to work the new tissue layers first. Does that sound agreeable?

Jones: Response

Sadar: Understood. Well, uh… Enjoy shoreleave, Sir.

TAG/TBC

Ensign Gila Sadar

Medical Officer

USS Artemis-A