LtJG Jovenan – A distraction by someone else’s past

Jovenan

Dec 28, 2023, 3:28:03 PM12/28/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Casa Adea, Dekoa, Betazed))

The air was surprisingly dry considering how close to the sea they were. During the landing, Jovenan could see the village in its entirety, being hugged by the very bright blue sea on one side and the green forest on the other. She tried to remember the Betazoid language words for all the different plants and other features she saw around them as they walked through the landscape. Apparently, there were simply too many to learn even on the intermediate language course she had taken in the Academy.

Toto: Bark!

Dogs were of course something she’d remember. She smiled eagerly as she bent over ever so slightly and tapped her thighs to encourage the grey Weimaraner to follow them. The enthusiastic, grown pupper walked in their trail and on their feet as Doctor Adea turned to her.

Adea: Thanks for coming with me, Lieutenant.

Jovenan: Of course, Doctor.

Jovenan petted Toto as he run close to her when they passed an uttaberry garden. The poor dog had been locked in the Doctor’s bathroom for a few days before Jovenan and Doctor Sadar went and liberated him and his master. Even ignoring the previous mission, living on board a starship in one of the more dangerous regions in the Beta Quadrant was certainly stressful for an animal. The choice of the vet’s office was a small surprise, admittedly, considering it seemed rather random at first. That is, until she realised and checked the records that this was the Doctor’s old hometown.

Adea: I appreciate it, I would have asked Hiro, but he's transferring off the ship.

Jovenan’s mouth was a thin, straight line, not a smile, not a frown. Maybe both, maybe neither. Hearing the news had been a shock to her. She had almost lost her new brother during the attack, but now she’d lose him to another ship. They could still chat through the subspace, true, but gone would be the movie nights, the games and the snacks. But this wasn’t the time and place to cry about it, again. She appreciated Doctor Adea for giving her something else to think about.

Jovenan: I understand. And I’m sure he appreciates the opportunity to prepare for it without me hustling about it.

Adea: Response

Jovenan studied the house where the veterinary office was located in. She had to admit that she didn’t know much about the Doctor, even though she had known him for over a year. His professional skills were unquestionable, as were his skills in pretty much every aspect of his career, but his life out of work was mostly unknown to her. When she had asked about him during her first medical check-up on the Excal, he had only said there would be several past girlfriends and at least one boyfriend who wouldn’t be pleased of that. She hadn’t pressed the issue.

Jovenan: Have you taken Toto here before?

Adea: Response

She nodded. She was very much aware this visit wasn’t just for Toto’s sake. Even without telepathic or empathetic abilities, she could tell he had many memories associated with this place. Some of them good, some of them not.

Jovenan: How long have you been away from here?

Adea: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan