LtJG Gila Sadar - A trip to the WHAT!?

Gila Sadar

May 7, 2024, 1:52:30 PMMay 7
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Primary Sickbay - Deck 7, USS Artemis-A))

Kel: Well, aside from that, no obvious concerns. Should we start the regular check up now?

Straight to the point it was!

Sadar: Of course.

Well, cross-referencing the average statistical health of a Vulcan of Ensign Kel’s age with the data from his latest check-up from the Academy prior to his graduation, he seemed the very picture of health. Vulcans were a robust species to begin with, capable of thriving in conditions considered subpar for more sensitive physiognomies, so she doubted that life on the USS Artemis-A had done much to change this. And yet, her extensive training taught her to disregard this immediate thought. Perhaps because of this reputation of robustness - and most definitely due to their extensive mental conditioning against allowing their rather intense emotional register to impact their day-to-day lives - the health concerns of Vulcan patients, mental and physical, tended to get overlooked until they became far graver than they strictly had to, and it was Gila’s duty to ensure that that did not happen to the patients in her care.

So, as she meticulously made her way through the various necessary scans for a clean bill of health - cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, hormonal - she thought of how to best breach the usually sensitive subject of mental health. She knew that Ensign Kel was only part Vulcan, but that didn’t necessarily mean that he took the emotional discipline of his forebears any less seriously than any full Vulcans.

More often than not, Gila had actually realized that the opposite was true.

Sadar: I’ve read the rough reports on what occurred to the various crew members during CloQ’s mischief, but apparently, all injuries suffered during the mission were reverted upon our safe return to our timeline.

Ensign Kel didn’t seem to mind her conversational starter in the least, as he readily responded to her observation.

Kel: Most of my injuries were, but I did notice I still had my headache when we popped back.  I wonder why that could be?

Gila’s eyes watched with almost unnatural neutrality as she watched her patient rub his brow, a stoicism in his face that she tried to analyze.

Sadar: Because it might not be completely illogical that recollections of any incidents during the temporal displacements might return to bestow phantom pains or, as you yourself said, memory lapses. ::nod:: So if you start experiencing similar things, I recommend alerting medical personnel.

The stoicism in his expression was affected for a short moment, but by what, Gila wasn’t sure. She hoped that her turn of phrase wasn’t a traumatic trigger of some sort, but she doubted it. From what limited understanding she could claim to have of Ensign Kel today, both with observing his mannerisms during this conversation and by reading his physical and psychological evals from the Academy, she didn’t see a person who was working towards actively fighting his Vulcan heritage.

Kel: Boy, dealing with the Q is sure fun for everyone involved isn’t it?

Gila allowed a slight smile at this, though the smile was turned dour by the sigh that accompanied it.

Sadar: Unfortunately, we have very little concrete evidence to form substantiated hypotheses regarding the effect of Q encounters on the well-being of regular minds.

Kel: I suppose we should be thankful for that, shouldn’t we? That despite contact with them it hasn’t been enough to discover verifiable patterns?

Sadar: In-so-far that exposure to the Q is an experience best avoided, I can agree with that sentiment. However, as a medical professional, lacking necessary information to treat my patients is never a pleasant experience.

It was an experience that was new, and extremely disconcerting, to her. The Gila of before would never have known what that feeling of urgency, the knowledge that the physical well-being of multiple people relied on her getting her research done speedily and conclusively, was like. It had been an entirely foreign scope of research to a woman who’d considered her a well-versed scientist, even if the field was different from what had come before…

But then, very little of her life now compared to the life before in any way. Different stars, different people, different concerns.

Sadar: Hmm… It’s not of any concerning severity, but your blood pressure is slightly elevated, and your ocular responsiveness is 6,3% lower than what was registered at your last physical. ::considers::

Kel: Well, asides from those concerns, I think I’m in otherwise perfect health. Still, I understand protocol dictates we continue with the wellness check. I suppose a trip to the ship's counselor would do me some good though.

Gila’s knees nearly buckled from shock. This was probably the first time a patient voluntarily brought up counseling without her bringing it up in conversation. It was almost enough that she wanted to cry with joy, but she realized that this would be a highly improper reaction, and would likely elicit one of those damning eyebrow-lifts that she’d learned to dread during the Academy.

It always invariably resulted in a slew of damning logical facts seemingly designed to bring her to her knees in shame.

Sadar: Q-Q-Quite, yes. Umm... ::tries to regain her verbal footing:: I believe it would be logical to consider your body in the middle of a stress-reaction to the very trying ordeal we all just went through. Booking an appointment with a counselor is definitely the right step to mitigate this, and then making sure to enjoy shore leave. We’ll want to follow up on that ocular responsiveness, though, so I’ll make sure you receive a call for a second test in a few weeks, if that’s acceptable to you?

Kel: Response

Gila nodded with a slight smile.

Sadar: Excellent. I’ll update your medical logs, and send a referral to the counseling team to speed up the process. ::makes some notes on her PADD before looking at Kel:: Have you made any plans for relaxation this shore leave?

Kel: Response

Sadar: Ah, I’m afraid you’re, uhh, speaking to the wrong Lieutenant for that… ::wrecks her brain:: I, uhh, I’ve heard that some of the crew organize classes in various martial arts and exercises? And as I understand it, Bajor has significant areas dedicated to enjoying nature, if hiking or mountaineering is something you enjoy?

Kel: Response

TAGS/TBC

LtJG Gila Sadar

Medical Officer