MdJG Jovenan – Opportunity makes a thief

Jovenan

Oct 17, 2023, 4:58:09 AM10/17/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((OOC: The Sil & Jo scene will hopefully continue in backsims. That scene has already affected Jovenan’s motivations.))

((CIC Desdemona))

On Desdemona, once again. After three days on the clean, well-maintained, even luxurious Starfleet ship, the shortcomings of the Desdemona were once again obvious to Jovenan. Gone were the glossy surfaces, stylish interfaces, holograms and the people who looked you in the eyes and smiled. In were the grease and dust, broken electronics and even more broken people.

Yet, here she had been summoned. She didn’t know the exact reason yet, but perhaps they were finally making progress in getting them all back home and needed her help. This universe was peaceful and pleasant, but she believed that most of the Commonwealth people wanted to return to their own universe, to their real duties, families and friends – what’s left of them, anyway. Their universe was grim, inhospitable and would likely have them all killed eventually, but it was home.

But…

After the last evening, Jovenan didn’t know what she wanted.

((Computer Lab, CIC Desdemona))

Finding her way to the Computer Lab, she encountered the junior officers from the earlier, the other pointy-ear alien and the robo kid. Entering the lab, she looked around, past the battered and dull but utilitarian computer consoles and terminals, she saw that they were expected. The older physician turned to them, having been watching the crazy body-part replacer work with computer hardware.

Adea: Ah, there you are. ::he clapped his hands together:: We have some data on the Artemis’ defences, and we need you guys to crack it.

Jovenan raised an eyebrow. This meeting seemed to have little to do with returning home as she had expected. Instead, what the physician was suggesting was breaching the systems and stealing data from the very people that had come in their rescue.

Yellir/Chevalier/Kuva: Response

Caught in her thoughts, she interrupted the discussion that had begun.

Jovenan: I have a question. Why?

Adea/Yellir/Chevalier/Kuva: Response

Jovenan tried keeping a calm demeanour, but the feelings within her were reaching a boiling point at an alarming rate. What they were doing was highly illegal, and she couldn’t accept that. She was an Edo and a mediator, the defender of law, who was divinely tasked with punishing those who committed crimes with the sole penalty she knew. And she was also found out… that the Stafleet people… were not all bad.

It was true, the weapons they could take from the Starfleet could end the Shint War and change their universe forever, but this was not the way. It was hypocritical coming from her, who had tried to spy on the Starfleet weapons herself earlier. She wanted to believe she had been in the grey area of law, not in direct violation. She had never forced anyone, not by bribes nor threats, nor had she ever used violence to reach her objectives. And more importantly, she never concluded her mission, stepping down, voluntarily, not pursuing the objective anymore after meeting with Sil. She didn’t want to violate their trust any further.

She decided to raise her objections.

Jovenan: We are not in war with the Federation. These people are not Shints. Are we nothing but thieves if we do this?

Adea/Yellir/Chevalier/Kuva: Response

Jovenan turned her head, person to person. She understood the weakness of her position. Her protest had made her appear untrustworthy, and if she were to disobey or object any further, she would be putting herself in danger. This was too large a project, a rolling stone that had too much mass for her to stop just by herself. She tried to contain her growing anxiety as she decided it was better to submit and go along, for now.

Jovenan: ::lowers head:: Understood. ::pause, raises head:: What do we know about their computer encryption?

Adea/Yellir/Chevalier/Kuva: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Mediator JG Jovenan